Boxing in MMA: BJ Penn

DjToon

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Just wanted to ask this to our more informed boxing fans. Freddy Roach trained BJ in boxing and said he had the best boxing in MMA boxing. Now we've seen Frankie recently bringing different tools to the table, notably better foot movement and speed.

My question is who is the consensus, if anyone, amongst the boxing forum, for:

Best Hands
Speed
Best Footwork

I'd be interested to know in all honesty

You talkin about in Boxing or MMA,all-time or now?

Boxing in MMA, all-time or now for those in the know. Although I'd be interested to hear who's considered the best for the above in purely boxing as well for a comparison.

Penn has the best jab and head movement.
KJ overall best boxing.
Speed- Yamamoto?, Fernandes?
Diaz is the best body puncher.

I think AS might be the best overall,he diffidently has the best hands iv yet to see in the cage

A.S's strikes are certainly incredibly accurate. I think he has the highest % of landed to thrown shots in MMA. Speed I'm not so sure he picks and chooses the right spots although the punches thrown are certainly fast per se.

I think AS might be the best overall,he diffidently has the best hands iv yet to see in the cage

A.S. is amazing at certain boxing techniques. He has timing and distance down great. Good footwork and he rolls with punches well (making him seem to have an indestructible chin). His hands, though, are good but not the best.
Vitor is an example of someone with better hands, but he is worse in all the areas that let you set up a clean shot: timing, footwork head movement ect.
BJ is great because of his head movement and hands. His footwork is crappy. He slips punches just like a top level boxer so that he ends up close enough to counter you before you know that you missed. His mechanics are great too, making every punch do damage.

Vitor has great hand speed.

Silva's strengths are his footwork and countermovements.

I can list a lot of guys who can do certain things well for at least a round, but eventually you'll always see that relative lack of experience come into play.

Back