boxing- how to make tighter defense

ACzeMiky

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi guys, I just want to ask you how can you make your "cover up" defense tighter, so when you get punched into it, it won't break your defense. Should I push my fists against forehead or push them together or how? Thank you.

Abort, you're headed towards a lot of tension in your stance.

Your best bet is to keep your eyes on your opponent through your gloves so you can see the next punch coming if your guard gets shoved over.

Yeah, the cover up defense only really works if you are able to step to the side of your opponent while being hit or hit back instantly. If you are taking multiple shots to a cover, the second or third one is going to mess you up.

You are basically turning yourself into a punching bag. At higher levels, no one is even going to be impeded by a static guard anyway.

That said, for the one shot you should take on a cover before you step, hit or clinch, you want tight fists, pushed against your crown, with shoulders up and chin down so that a fist can neither fit through to your ear, make you hit yourself, or find your nose.

I only cover when I lose track of my opponent and don't know what his next shot is. I am careful to always follow my intuition and immediately clinch and hide my head or step off at an angle, find him, and fire off a straight right away.

I agree with SummerStriker. Covering for the sake of covering is not going to benefit you much. But if you move whilst covering then you can maintain relative saftey whilst taking the sting out of most of their shots. Moving away from the strike means your guard gets hit softer and they have to reach further to still get you hard. Moving into the strike jamms the strike before the apex of the power is reached. Angle your hips and shoulders so your guard is not being hit flat but instead your guard deflects their blows off at different angles. These make you guard stronger in the way I suspect you mean. But it also opens up many countering opportunities.

Back