Boxing had a BMF Title fight.

Corrales vs Castillo 1, round 10 comes close.

Pffffft..........utterly insane. The fact that that was in the 10th and the comeback by Chico........awesome call, definitely a competitor.

Pffffft..........utterly insane. The fact that that was in the 10th and the comeback by Chico........awesome call, definitely a competitor.

It's one of my personal favorite rounds ever, I was a pretty big Corrales fan back in those days.

For drama you can't really beat it, but the mouthpiece stole the show.

Yeah that was the only thing I didn't like about it. You gotta give Chico credit though, he took the point deduction for a little extra recovery time and it paid off.

pillow fisted
<30>

last gif almost looked like francis vs ngannou wtf

Gatti was like a Super middleweight fighting at WW that night. The NYSAC implemented new fight night weigh in limits because of that fight.

It's weird, though, about the second Gatti-Ward fight. It was for that crazy blood and guts title, but it was the worst (judging by Gatti-Ward standards at least) of the trilogy.

The biggest contenders would be Gatti-Ward 1 or 3, Barrera Morales 1 or 3 (3 was insanely savage) and Corrales-Castillo 1. All others bow down.

Yeah that was the only thing I didn't like about it. You gotta give Chico credit though, he took the point deduction for a little extra recovery time and it paid off.
Worked the system like a boss.

Love that comment and look from his corner after the second knockdown.

At least this fight had a prequel which was an all-time great fight. Instead of being about 2 guys with a ton of heart, the BMF title was 2 guys who had never fought each other who act street tough

Legends.

Round 9 of Gatti-Ward 1 is one of the best rounds of all time.

Ended the guys career. Brain damage.

Gatti took 2 terrible beatings in his career... Once against De La Hoya, and Floyd absolutely destroyed him.

mejores-momentos-floyd-mayweather-jr-3.gif

qx2TtY.gif

GentleTameKitfox-size_restricted.gif

DentalWebbedBlueandgoldmackaw-size_restricted.gif

81NuW9.gif

r4N7gF.gif

3M2wRR.gif

Brutal. It was tough to watch.

thATS A GOOD FIGHT, also on there should be De La Hoya-Quartey,
Hagler-Hearns, Leanard-hearns and Pacquiao-Marquez 1

Those were some bangin' fights........just brutalized one another. I saw them all when they happened but have no recollection of that title you mentioned. Cool tidbit!

knew it was this fight before i even opened the thread

any other contenders ? what about Hagler vs Hearns ?

Corrales vs Castillo 1, round 10 comes close.

Lest we forget Timothy "Desert Storm" Bradley was exchanging with Ruslan Provodnikov against the ropes whilst completely fuckin unconscious.

source.gif

HE IS A FIREMAN!!!

Morales Barrera 1 was crazy.

Israel Vasquez and rafael marquez had a few good fights too.

Bowe Holyfield

Chavez Taylor

I mind Tapia vs Ayala being a crazy one too

During my nightly 8-hour study of old fight footage I came across something I found pretty interesting.

There's obviously been non-stop discussion of the BMF title.. the meaning, the origin, the implications, the impact on the sport, etc. There's been discussion about "who are the true BMFs?", "who is the original BMF?", "who is the BMF in boxing?", etc.

One thing I haven't heard anyone mention is that boxing actually had a "BMF Title fight". Can you guess what it was?

Ward-Gatti 2 was for the Never Quit, Never Surrender, Blood and Guts Championship of the World. Or NQNSBG Title.

The first fight was regarded as one of the most anticipated fights ever to not have any "sanctioning-organization titles involved", as Jim Lampley put it before the fight. Which was an HBO Boxing After Dark main event. At which time Larry Merchant probably dropped his best(only) memorable quote: "To Gatti and Ward, the only title that means anything is 'Warrior'."

In the second fight Michael "The Better" Buffer announced the fight as The Never Quit, Never Surrender, Blood and Guts Championship of the World AND announced Mickey Ward as the Never Quit, Never Surrender, Blood and Guts Champion.

So he acquired this interim title in their first fight, and defended in the rematch. Just a little history.

Other notes:

-There was no official belt like the BMF. But the winner was actually guaranteed the shot at Kostya Tszyu(reigning light-welterweight champion) if they wanted it.

-We do the thread about "Best entrances in combat sports history" every couple months. I never see Gatti mentioned, specifically in Ward 2. His entrance was incredible. Hard to think of a fighter with a better entrance song than Thunder Gatti coming out to Thunderstruck. The hype of what was coming, the glory of the first fight, the lyrics, Gatti's demeanor, being back in his hometown after going to war in Lowell, Mass... maybe the best entrance of all time, imo.

-This Youtube upload put the entrances and announcements in an old school black and white look. Pretty cool.

Thank you for posting the video. This trilogy is a must see by any fight fan, MMA or boxing.

Morales Barrera 1 was crazy.

Israel Vasquez and rafael marquez had a few good fights too.

Bowe Holyfield

Chavez Taylor

I mind Tapia vs Ayala being a crazy one too
Yes, Bowe-Holyfield. I think Bowe is a little overlooked. He was a serious BMF at one time. Even though it wasn't a great fight, Holyfield-Tyson was definitely a matchup of two of the biggest BMFs of the time too.

Gatti was the first person I thought of before clicking the spoiler.

Back