Boxing gyms in or around St. Louis, MO?

Final Level

White Belt
Reaction score
I want to learn to box (19 y.o.) to improve my hands & footwork but I can't find a gym. The closest one to me is "The Boxing Gym" which is one of those cardio-fitness chains, but they do offer "lessons". Can the all-knowing Sherdoggers point me in a good direction?

Also, a few questions about boxing at a serious gym...
1) Because I'm not a boxer nor aspire to become one will I be sitting around on the edges pounding away a heavybag not learning much or become one for everyone else in sparring?
2) What were your first days like?
3) Will ANY of my muay thai translate into boxing?

Silly questions I know, but thanks alot in advance.

:redface:

There's also the Boxing Classes at the Gamble Community Center, teacher's Buddy Shaw.

You can drive down an hour and a half to train at my gym in Columbia.

Or not.

Is this Gamble Community Center in St. Louis?

Well it's in Gamble,MO, but right by Saint Louis. It's a decent gym, though most of the people there are younger kids. You might not be able to be trained by Shaw directly very often, as several of the kids are amateurs/beginning amateurs.

Kevin Cunningham and Buddy Shaw are probably the best trainers in St. Louis. Wherever they are.

Berkeley City
Of boxing Facility
6124 Madison Ave.
St Louis
MO
314-524-5359

IBSS Panda
Athletic Club
1619 North Broadway
St Louis
MO
314-621-6465

Finney's Championship
Kickboxing, Boxing,
and Mixed Martial Arts
626 Crestwood Plaza
St Louis
MO
314-961-1177

North County
Boxing Club
2798 Old Hanley Rd.
St. Louis
MO
-

SCR Boxing
10204 Watson Rd.
St. Louis
MO
314-604-5992

St.Louis Metro
Boxing
3460 Hampton Ave.
St Louis
MO
63139-1945
314-351-8214

St Louis Metropolitain
Police Department
1200 Clark
St Louis
MO
314-444-5892

Sweat
8011 Maryland Ave.
St.Louis
MO
314-725-2714

Vaghi Martial Arts
2275 Cassens Dr.
Suite 109
St.Louis
MO
-
314-814-2727

We used to go there and get our butts kicked once or twice a year. Also they (ST. Louis) used to take a team to sedalia state fair and kick our butts.

I want to learn to box (19 y.o.) to improve my hands & footwork but I can't find a gym. The closest one to me is "The Boxing Gym" which is one of those cardio-fitness chains, but they do offer "lessons". Can the all-knowing Sherdoggers point me in a good direction?

Also, a few questions about boxing at a serious gym...
1) Because I'm not a boxer nor aspire to become one will I be sitting around on the edges pounding away a heavybag not learning much or become one for everyone else in sparring?
2) What were your first days like?
3) Will ANY of my muay thai translate into boxing?

Silly questions I know, but thanks alot in advance.

:redface:

1)why wouldn't you want to become a pro boxer? boxers are some of the most skilled and tactical fighters in the world, not to mention boxing focuses on technique, rather than on strenght and power. just don't mention that you dont want to be a boxer because then most trainers will just ignore you for someone that really wants to learn the art.

2)akward and lonely, since most people at the gym are very close and have a tight knit social circle

3)the obvious-punches, but, maybe that would need a lot of work

I have a question for you--what do you mean footwork?

Berkeley City
Of boxing Facility
6124 Madison Ave.
St Louis
MO
314-524-5359

IBSS Panda
Athletic Club
1619 North Broadway
St Louis
MO
314-621-6465

Finney's Championship
Kickboxing, Boxing,
and Mixed Martial Arts
626 Crestwood Plaza
St Louis
MO
314-961-1177

North County
Boxing Club
2798 Old Hanley Rd.
St. Louis
MO
-

SCR Boxing
10204 Watson Rd.
St. Louis
MO
314-604-5992

St.Louis Metro
Boxing
3460 Hampton Ave.
St Louis
MO
63139-1945
314-351-8214

St Louis Metropolitain
Police Department
1200 Clark
St Louis
MO
314-444-5892

Sweat
8011 Maryland Ave.
St.Louis
MO
314-725-2714

Vaghi Martial Arts
2275 Cassens Dr.
Suite 109
St.Louis
MO
-
314-814-2727
Good list bro.

You all missed Jermain Andre's place in St Charles. I could be wrong but I think he offers boxing as well

Finney's Championship
Kickboxing, Boxing,
and Mixed Martial Arts
626 Crestwood Plaza
St Louis
MO
314-961-1177

Finney is a coach on the St Louis WCL team, and also runs a lot of MMA/Kickboxing events in St. Louis. Just FYI

1)why wouldn't you want to become a pro boxer? boxers are some of the most skilled and tactical fighters in the world, not to mention boxing focuses on technique, rather than on strenght and power. just don't mention that you dont want to be a boxer because then most trainers will just ignore you for someone that really wants to learn the art.
I really like kicking and I don't think my hands are good enough to be a boxer.
I have a question for you--what do you mean footwork?
Their ability to move out of the way and still be in a position to hit you is awe-inspiring. A good example that I can think of would be STL fighter Cory Spinks. It looks like he's rarely getting hit when he fights and I like how he works angles. That's what I mean by footwork, if that makes sense.

Cory's exceptional because of his instincts, reflexes, and timing. He's a defensive wizard when he's in-shape. Can anyone teach you that? They can show you aspects of it, your ability to adapt is completely up to you and your DNA. Some people have two left feet, and always will.

Cory's exceptional because of his instincts, reflexes, and timing. He's a defensive wizard when he's in-shape. Can anyone teach you that? They can show you aspects of it, your ability to adapt is completely up to you and your DNA. Some people have two left feet, and always will.

i think the kid was saying that boxers in general seem to have the ability to be defensive yet stay in postion to attack. You know slight head movements instead of jumping out of the way. He used corey as an example.

This was not intended to slam other forms so I dont want to hear about it

I know what he was saying, I'm just saying Cory's a bad example on a General level because not many Boxers can do what Cory does.

21st century in Pacific MO about 25 minutes out of STL great stand up school 17 national champs last time I checked.

Kickboxing primarily.

Back