Boxing/grappling or all out striking?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
What's more dangerous, a striker who can present grappling offense on his feet but is limited to hands or an all out striker who has versatile techniques on the feet but ZERO threat of takedowns/grappling?

What's more dangerous, a striker who can present grappling offense on his feet but is limited to hands or an all out striker who has versatile techniques on the feet but ZERO threat of takedowns/grappling?
I'm not gonna mess with either.

I think the ideal fighter is someone who can strike and grapple to a high standard

Well if you hit like CONOR I guess it wont matter.

boxing mixed with grappling obviously

good grappling can make your striking way more effective just because your opponent is worried about being taken down

You can't say anything for sure cause there are variables like size and athleticism involved.

Look at Hendricks vs Wonderboy, and look at Romero vs Machida. Both fights fit the description but have different outcomes cause of size/athleticism.

It depends on the individual entirely in your hypothetical question. Usually though, as another poster stated, possessing offensive grappling ability with striking will reduce a single-dimensional (limited) striker's effectiveness. But, it depends on who they are.

Conor isn't affected too much by the TDD threat because he's got really good control of distance and is a very good scrambler and because he doesn't allow it to impact his striking's effectiveness as much because he blocks it out. It's a mental thing. The consequences of blocking it out entirely could lead to ending up on your back after throwing, whether you land or not, and potentially not being able to get back up, taking a beating, and/or being finished.

Back