Boxing Community Weigh In On James Toney's MMA Debut (Video)

Randy Marsh

by armbar
@Silver
Reaction score
Shane Mosley, Victor Ortiz, Chris Arreola, Ricardo Mayorga, Jimmy Lennon Jr. and more give their opinions on Toney jumping into MMA and their fight predictions for Toney vs Couture.

What are MMA/ufc fighters thoughts on boxing?
Anyone know?

What are MMA/ufc fighters thoughts on boxing?
Anyone know?

I've never heard any of them say anything but respectful things about it (or most anything, for that matter). other than sometimes talking about its well known problems, nothing but positives.

Most athletes from both sports respect both MMA and boxing. Its just the stubborn older generation who seem to have a lack of respect for any other combat sport other then their own *cough* Bob Arum and the like...

But that doesn't mean younger guys are respectful. Take the Tapout MMA only crowd. About as hard-headed as it gets, imo.

Most athletes from both sports respect both MMA and boxing. Its just the stubborn older generation who seem to have a lack of respect for any other combat sport other then their own *cough* Bob Arum and the like...

But that doesn't mean younger guys are respectful. Take the Tapout MMA only crowd. About as hard-headed as it gets, imo.

Add *cough* Dana and Rogan.

You can if you go into printable page on top and then you can copy from it.

thanks

there you go:

Paulie Malignaggi – Former world junior welterweight boxing champion

Prediction: Couture

"The problem is, most boxers, even in their prime, would not last in MMA. These guys know how to grapple and kick, and the same could be said the opposite way – no MMA guy is gonna last in the ring with a boxer if they’re boxing. You’re going into somebody else’s domain. And not that Couture is a spring chicken, but if you look at James Toney, he’s always a guy who’s been a close-range fighter – shoulder rolls, dips, counterpunches. He never really had an outside game that was so special. He had slow feet and was plodding, but he had good upper body movement. You can’t do that in MMA, especially with Couture, who was a Greco-Roman wrestler. He’ll just wrestle him, take him down, choke him or ground and pound him. I don’t see how James Toney can win the fight, even if Couture is the older guy, but the best to both guys."

UFC welterweight Nick Ozipczak

Prediction: Couture

“I'm just going to say what everybody's thinking, and that's that Toney only has a puncher's chance here. That puncher's chance will only last in the opening thirty seconds of the fight, too. Unless Toney lands something significant on Couture early, he'll be taken down and it will be a definite first-round stoppage for 'The Natural'. I can see Couture winning either via ground-and-pound for by submission but, whatever it is, it will happen early. If a miracle happens and Toney gets back to his feet at any stage, he'll then find his punches won't have much sting on them, as he hasn't developed the muscles in his arms to cope with the grappling aspect and then the punching.”

......................................................................................................................

Also, i wanna add that since my last stament on the fight i have looked a little more into Toneys fights & style and his chances - in my eyes - are now even lesser than before. Hes more of a static boxer - at least in his last years - with a lot of shoulder rolling, dips, etc. Not good, i thought that he might "out-foot" Randy for at least a couple of minutes but i dont see it now. He must concentrate in the first 90 seconds, punch, push, step, punch, push, step... dont let Randy grab anything - even run if necessarily - and pray for a "big one" to hit the jackpot.

In any case, war Toney.

Dana and Joe never say anything bad about boxing. They always say they are big boxing fans.

"Boxing is dead"
"Boxing Is Dying"
"Boxing is less entertaining"
"Boxing at it's core doesn't work in MMA" (lol)
"Boxing is too corrupt" (lol)
"MMA fighters are vastly more talented" (roflmao)

There's a laundry list of quotes.

Big fans when they both have a very small amount of knowledge of the sport. Meh.

Tyson is not really a good example. He's an icon, he's more famous on a global scale than the entire sport of MMA and it's fighters combined. I frankly don't ever see anybody in MMA reaching that iconic legendary status.

I like MMA and watch it often, but there's no way around the fact that Dana has dumped on boxing plenty of times and frankly he's no better than that old fossil Arum.

Remember his fake press conference? It was so pathetic it was funny.

WTF, I had never seen that before. Were even people there. I bet he was pissed when Floyd still out sold them that night.

And talking shit about JMM when he just did 200k on his last PPV fight Diaz.

Back