Boxing Champion Usyk Rejects Hero Of Ukraine Award

So this guy wanted Usyk to make strong political statements in the middle of Moscow and the fact that he didn't, this dude is questioning his character as a Ukrainian citizen?

First off Putin might've actually been at that fight, iirc, and Usyk could've started some kind of riot talking about such sensitive topics. Second, people get fucking poisoned for acting a certain way in that part of the world. Usyk would've had to talk shit, then get the hell out of Moscow, and not eat, drink, or let anyone or anything touch his skin in the process. That's a real thing that could happen. Not that it would happen but it could. Putin's poisoning ppl every other day it seems.

Fuck this politician. The guy's a fighter, he was in Moscow surrounded by a bunch of Russians, it wasn't the place nor time to go off on a political soliloquy about Crimea. That takes more nuts than it does to fight, I don't blame the guy one bit.

All this being said I need to read up on the whole situation in Crimea and Russia/Ukraine, I feel woefully ignorant in even bringing it up, I know so little. Still speaking out on shit like that isn't Usyk's job.

Fair enough (sort of, as there is still a real Civil War in Ukraine which is obviously Russian-funded and in some ways actually carried out). Kupri is part of Vitali's (as in Vitali Klitschko's) party, the conglomerate of the Petro Poroshenko Bloc and Vitali's old UDAR Party. They have a very vanilla platform (which I really don't care for). Pretty down the middle party (which I don't care for for a variety of reasons, but in the shitshow that is Ukraine, things could be worse), but if a guy like Usyk has represented Ukraine in the past and is now representing Sorok Sorokov, well, then that's exceptionally problematic for any Ukrainian who considers themselves nationalist in any sense of the word.

So, again, can't read Cyrillic, and until I talk to a few friends in Ukraine and Russia, it's going to be hard for me to ascertain, but do you have any idea if Usyk, a guy who ostensibly was for Crimea not being annexed, is now part of a group which can pretty easily be described in, well, let's say anti-Ukrainian terms (so as not to stoke too many feelings).
It's rather obvious that this Ukrainian MP has a personal vendetta against Usyk simply because they're not on the same political page. Insinuating that Usyk was used as a pawn by Putin in attempt to create a political smokescreen is asinine given the circumstances. Usyk continues to hold the same neutral position on Crimea that he has for the last few years, having previously stated that "Crimea is Crimea". He clearly doesn't wish to be labeled as a separatist to further the rift between Ukrainians and Russians. He's stated on many occasions that he'd rather see them united. There's nothing wrong with being a nationalist as long as you're not a radical out there acting like one. The link I provided above details why he doesn't want to be associated with these Ukrainian nationalist groups. It's easy to see why he wouldn't since the nationalists discussed there are insurgents.

After visiting their official website, I can confirm that Usyk is a member of the 'Forty Times Forty' (Sorok Sorokov) orthodox movement. Evidently, he's one of their public faces operating as a spokesman. This is likely due to them sharing the same values. Several other athletes and celebrities from around the world are members or advocates as well, Fedor for example. Are they paid shills? Who knows. You have to take the bad with the good since every group/collective has its own issues with bad apples that ultimately affect their mainstream reputation, nationalists included. It's estimated that there are over 10,000 members worldwide as of 2016, if we're to believe their co-founder's claim. They started 5 years ago and have done a variety of humanitarian work (for Donbass included), organized food drives, aided the homeless, put together sporting events, as well as organized religious retreats. Here's an article from late 2016 on that work This Russian Christian Youth Movement Is Growing by Leaps and Bounds

It's rather obvious that this Ukrainian MP has a personal vendetta against Usyk simply because they're not on the same political page. Insinuating that Usyk was used as a pawn by Putin in attempt to create a political smokescreen is asinine given the circumstances. Usyk continues to hold the same neutral position on Crimea that he has for the last few years, having previously stated that "Crimea is Crimea". He clearly doesn't wish to be labeled as a separatist to further the rift between Ukrainians and Russians. He's stated on many occasions that he'd rather see them united. There's nothing wrong with being a nationalist as long as you're not a radical out there acting like one. The link I provided above details why he doesn't want to be associated with these Ukrainian nationalist groups. It's easy to see why he wouldn't since the nationalists discussed there are insurgents.

After visiting their official website, I can confirm that Usyk is a member of the 'Forty Times Forty' (Sorok Sorokov) orthodox movement. Evidently, he's one of their public faces operating as a spokesman. This is likely due to them sharing the same values. Several other athletes and celebrities from around the world are members or advocates as well, Fedor for example. Are they paid shills? Who knows. You have to take the bad with the good since every group/collective has its own issues with bad apples that ultimately affect their mainstream reputation, nationalists included. It's estimated that there are over 10,000 members worldwide as of 2016, if we're to believe their co-founder's claim. They started 5 years ago and have done a variety of humanitarian work (for Donbass included), organized food drives, aided the homeless, put together sporting events, as well as organized religious retreats. Here's an article from late 2016 on that work This Russian Christian Youth Movement Is Growing by Leaps and Bounds

Off topic but I know you're American, pretty sure at least, do you have Slav and or Russian ancestry tho as well? You seem to know a lot about this stuff. I'm just curious about shit like this so hopefully you don't take it as anything other than me being a naturally ignorant/inquisitive motherfucker, haha. Couldn't give a fuck about ppl's bg's other than knowing about the cultures and history, etc. @randomg1t is Slovenian [I think ?]and can speak two languages, I learned. @nastyleft can speak at least two or three languages and knows a ton about latin culture. I find it very interesting and cool when ppl have specific bg's in respect to the world outside of the States. I need to travel more, I guess.

Also, is Usyk a part of some sort of minority group within Ukraine? I thought some ppl brought up his hair a couple years back and that it stood for something, and that he might be part of a group of Ukrainians that are somewhat ethnically "different" from the majority of citizens. I have no idea if that's true or some shit I made up in my own head, lol. But am curious about this stuff. Trying to read up on the whole Crimea situation rn, actually. Then again I'm still trying to wrap my head around the Yugoslav and Kosovo wars that happened 20 years ago so I'm a bit behind with the eastern bloc history, to say the least.

Last edited:
C'mon! He wrecked the Russian. YOU do the talking if you're the politician.

As someone else mentioned, I'm not trying to get poisoned and/or assassinated by Putin as my career takes off, either.

I don't blame Usyk and in fact fair play.

The Ukrainian Gov't first need to know how to treat a national champion before keep trying to drag him into being a political mascot.

I read that bit from that politician and thought it was disgusting, bascially saying "Be a political puppet or you're not a Ukranian".

Thank god some people still have morals, Usyk told them to do one.

I mean if he's Sorok Sorokov, that's the whole story. You're not a Ukrainian nationalist if you're part of the group (there is nothing wrong with not being a Ukrainian nationalist as tons of them are massive cunts, but if you're Sorok Sorokov, anyone and everyone in the region knows where you stand). That's fine, but at least in my eyes (and this is only my own view, to be clear), there is next to nothing redeemable about the group (I'll be honest: they're all cunts). At best it's a massively intolerant group that seizes on one of the few remaining bright spots in Russia (young, mostly combat sports athletes) as there is little remaining there that's worth anything to propagate; at worst it's a fascistic paramilitary wing of the Russian Orthodox Church (that's the generally accepted take on Sorok Sorokov; I'm being massively charitable to the group because I like Usyk as a fighter). If he's Sorok Sorokov, any and every Ukrainian nationalist (again, no love for a lot of people who call themselves Ukrainian nationalists), knows where he stands, and they know what they think about the existence of the state of Ukraine.

At the end of the day, I watch boxing because I like boxing, and I'm not going to stop liking Usyk as a fighter, but people probably should realize why he refused the award. He's part of a pretty reprehensible group which ultimately doesn't believe in the existence of the Ukrainian state as it currently exists. At least when the Poles came, they didn't care about our religion (as they shared it), it was only the language and culture they hated.

Last edited:
Good on Usyk. He rises above politics and refuses to be drawn into their game where he would just be used as a propaganda tool. I think it was a good move to not take the award. I hate politicians.

Usyk being smart and keeping out of the totally corrupt shitshow that is Ukrainian politics

Usyk obviously changed his opinion about Crimea as it looks like he has chosen money over patriotism.

Crimea is an undisputed Ukrainian territory and I don't see how this thing will ever change. Putin's communist regime will fall, but Ukraine will never abandon its main territory.
So either way Crimea is going to return to Ukraine at some point. The sooner the better.

I like Usyk as a boxer, but he has p*ssied out as a person.

Usyk obviously changed his opinion about Crimea as it looks like he has chosen money over patriotism.

Crimea is an undisputed Ukrainian territory and I don't see how this thing will ever change. Putin's communist regime will fall, but Ukraine will never abandon its main territory.
So either way Crimea is going to return to Ukraine at some point. The sooner the better.

I like Usyk as a boxer, but he has p*ssied out as a person.

Yeah I thought he had stronger views on the Crimea and that it should remain Ukranian. So I was kind of surprised to see him not saying anything about the Russians being there. But in a way I'm kind of glad because I think he should be a boxer first rather than get involved in politics.

Back