Boxing Champ ready to dominate the UFC?

Most of us would agree that boxing is a superior sport

Well, I don't.. To be honest MMA is the more complete fighting sport because it showcases many different styles. Just my opinion tho..

But I do believe that a top tier professional boxer could step into the cage and be competitive if he took the time to develop a solid wrestling and jiu jitsu skill set.

Boxing defense relies heavily on using the clinch to break engagement so the ref will reset them. Thats the last thing a boxer would want to do in mma.

Thats because boxers knows how to defend from getting blasted in the pocket to form a clinch. MMA fighters would get blasted in the pocket because they do not have the skillset to defend punches the way boxers do.

stance for one

Nope. Boxing has different stances, many that has already been used in MMA. If anything the traditional Muay Thai stance has been worst for MMA because it had left fighters open for boxers to come in with combos. Like when Belfort fought Wanderlei Silva.

Even Belfort in a video shows how the stance between that in boxing and MMA is not that different with simply a slight variation with the positioning of the feet.

Thats because boxers knows how to defend from getting blasted in the pocket to form a clinch. MMA fighters would get blasted in the pocket because they do not have the skillset to defend punches the way boxers do.

This proves quite useful indeed and highly disagreed with several post here about what a boxer does and doesn't do but didn't want to post whore. They have things called slipping and blocking to include shielding often seen in mma as well as muay thai for defense. People act as if they just hold all day. Bernard hopkins and mayweather are really the only 2 that come to mind who excessively clinch. The main problem I see with a boxers reaction to clinching the way the typically do, is eating elbows under unified rules of mma. Some modifications will need to be made for sure unless you want to eat shit a lot, knees included. I have boxed personally and only clinched if I was exhausted or got cornered. I like to get the fuck out of the way and cut angles if possible. A world class boxer with some cross training could be very fun to watch.

sherdog logic
NFL /NBA guys : would totaly utterly DOMINATE in mma / A level athlete

boxer: that guy would be DESTROYED if he tried to compete in mma / The grappling aspect is too hard to pick up

I like this post so much that I'ma ignore the strawman and just roll it.

Boxing is also arguably the biggest part of fighting. Show me one fight where there was no punches thrown.

Go on, I'll wait.

punch thrown = boxing

Machida could stop drinking pee now, he is a boxer ffs!

Go on, ill wait

This makes no sense. They clinch specifically to avoid getting blasted in the pocket.

I'd love to see Fabio Maldonado whoop his ass because MMA boxing > boxing

This makes no sense. They clinch specifically to avoid getting blasted in the pocket.

Yup boxers absolutly love knees and elbows, just play with it a little, it makes sense to him, he is happy.

They have to defend from getting hit before they clinch to further avoid getting hit.

Obviously you have never seen a boxing match in your life.

Yup boxers absolutly love knees and elbows, just play with it a little, it makes sense to him, he is happy.

Attempting knees while holding someone in a plum will make you vulnerable to hooks and uppercuts. Cro Cop got knocked out in K-1 due to this. Anderson Silva got dropped by Weidman because of this as well.

It's easy to just credit one form of offense while totally undermining what the other offense can do.

Fact is when Belfort blasted Wanderlei with punches right on the pocket, Wanderlei never had a chance to clinch with Belfort while he was standing in his Muay Thai stance.

Attempting knees while holding someone in a plum will make you vulnerable to hooks and uppercuts. Cro Cop got knocked out in K-1 due to this. Anderson Silva got dropped by Weidman because of this as well.

It's easy to just credit one form of offense while totally undermining what the other offense can do.

Fact is when Belfort blasted Wanderlei with punches right on the pocket, Wanderlei never had a chance to clinch with Belfort while he was standing in his Muay Thai stance.

You seem to have gone sideways on the post.

You're in pocket going into a clinch, you're an MMA fighter vs a boxer, you seem to insinuate you'd go for a plum?

Elbows, knees to abdomen/liver, knees to legs, and probably a takedown... etc would most likely be my normal reaction personally.

Pretty sure i dont have to explain a boxer from his back perspective.. so wont bother, but you'd have to be pretty stupid to maintain distance and try to out-boxe a boxer, in clinch is where id want to be asap.

In this perspective i kinda fail to see the relevance in your reply, expecially in the Belfort coming out blazing on Wand.

Last edited:
I thought this might have been an old thread of Kermit Cintron calling out then UFC champion Sean Sherk that had just been recently bumped or something.

The UFC will jump at the chance to sign a retired a 37 year old Laila Ali that's been retired for eight years, or a fat fuck that can't string a coherent sentence together without needing subtitles in James Toney, but they'll avoid a fresh knockout artist at the top of his game and with an established, competent grappling base like the plague.

Obviously not every style of boxing is the same, and some are better suited for mma than others.

Things like stances that leave you more open to leg kicks and takedowns, ducking head movement that makes you more susceptible to head kicks and knees.

You can literally say that about any person making the jump in sport.

There are styles in wrestling, BJJ, boxing, kickboxing, etc, that would be bad in MMA.

All depends on the athlete. At this point, it's speculation.

You seem to have gone sideways on the post.

You're in pocket going into a clinch, you're an MMA fighter vs a boxer, you seem to insinuate you'd go for a plum?

Elbows, knees to abdomen/liver, knees to legs, and probably a takedown... etc would most likely be my normal reaction personally.

Pretty sure i dont have to explain a boxer from his back perspective.. so wont bother, but you'd have to be pretty stupid to maintain distance and try to out-boxe a boxer, in clinch is where id want to be asap.

In this perspective i kinda fail to see the relevance in your reply, expecially in the Belfort coming out blazing on Wand.

A plum is usually one of the common methods of trying to knee somebody in the face. Now even with you mentioning how you would try and knee someone to the abdomen, the fact is you still risk getting caught with punches.

Belfort blasted Wanderlei in the pocket with punches. Wanderlei's natural reaction would had been to clinch with Belfort and hold off from getting punch while trying to knee Belfort, but he had no chance of ever doing that because he got knock out by Belfort's flurry in inside punches.

My point being which is that you cannot just so conveniently say one can easily catch a boxer in a clinch when in fact there is the high risk that punches inside the pocket will negate the clinch from ever being applied.

Back