Boxing bracket

natural73192

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
At work we created a 64 heavyweight boxing bracket (just like the college basketball bracket) and it is 64 of the greatest heavyweights of all time.

I got to the final eight and I want to see who you guys think wins these so I can get a final conclusion. Remember all these fighters are in their prime.

Ali vs. Lennox Lewis
Tyson vs. Holmes
Louis vs. Foreman
Marciano vs. Frazier

Remember they are all in their prime.
Thanks

Ali vs. Lennox Lewis

Ali. Although this would be a horribie opponent for Ali, his movement and speed in his prime would have danced rings around Lennox.

Tyson vs. Holmes

Holmes. A prime Holmes with that great jab and follow up right/uppercut would have made the Douglas beating look like babysitting.

Louis vs. Foreman

Foreman. Far to much size and power for Louis to deal with. Although Joe is by far the greater fighter overrall.

Marciano vs. Frazier

Frazier. Joe was at least 20 or 30lbs bigger than Marciano prime vs prime. I couldn't see Frazier being bullied by a smaller man.

I'd go with Ali, Holmes, Louis and Marciano, but your aguments about Frazier and Foreman being too big make it awfully tough.

Thanks guys, maybe one day in heaven god will let these fights actually happen.

I agree with BootyDaddy except I see Joe Louis beating George Foreman!

I'm assuming that the first two are on one side with the last two matchups on the other.

The wildcard (for me) in these "tournies" is what to do with Lennox--his physical tools are just beyond the older, smaller guys.

If Ali can deal with it, he may squeek-out a victory. He had a lot of sqeeker decisions against much-lesser opponents, though. Gimme Lewis.

Tyson knocked out a 38-year old Holmes. However, the Holmes of 1980 would probably handle the Tyson of 1988.

Louis' straight punches would hurt George but Joe does not have the evasive skills of an Ali. If Louis allowed Foreman to put him against the ropes, I fear it would be over. I'll take Louis though--hoping that he fights a smart hit-and-move fight. Of course an older (37) Louis tried to exchange with Marciano...

Frazier and Marciano would be fireworks. I would say that Rocky had a better chin...so Rocky in a KO.

Then I'll take Lewis over Tyson--I think their real match was somewhat telling here.

And then Louis (in his prime) over Rocky.

The Finals would then be Lewis/Louis.

Sorry Joe...bad matchup.

BTW, Foreman would have beaten Lewis--it's all about the matchups...

Louis beats foreman in 6 rounds.

Ali's straight punches were getting through Foreman everytime they boxed.
Louis threw harder straight punches, and foreman would just eat them up and eventually getting KOed.

I think weight difference might play a big factor in the outcome of some of these. As i don't know the difference in weight between some of the fighters, i wouldn't even hazard a guess.

At work we created a 64 heavyweight boxing bracket (just like the college basketball bracket) and it is 64 of the greatest heavyweights of all time.

I got to the final eight and I want to see who you guys think wins these so I can get a final conclusion. Remember all these fighters are in their prime.

Ali vs. Lennox Lewis
Tyson vs. Holmes
Louis vs. Foreman
Marciano vs. Frazier

Thanks

Ali vs. Lewis - Oh so interesting. I think Ali matches up kind of bad against Lewis, and I think Lewis is at his best in big fights. I go with Lewis in an upset decision!

Tyson vs. Holmes - I appreciate Holmes, and give him credit for longevity, and his ability. Here comes the but..... BUT I don't think he was good enough to beat the real special fighters in the sports history, and would pick him to lose to everyone mentioned here except Foreman. So, i go with Tyson on this one, tempted by kayo, but will say lopsided decision.

Louis vs. Foreman - Foreman was a polar fighter, an exceptional puncher, but not a great boxer by any stretch. I think Louis has the guile to beat Foreman. Louis by kayo mid to late.

Marciano vs. Frazier - Marciano to me is a two fisted Frazier. Marciano by kayo, again mid to late.

So now we have Lewis/Tyson and Louis/Marciano. Ironically, two fights that happened albeit with one fighter longer in the tooth than the other. So, for the sake of interest, let's make the bracket such that Lewis takes on Louis, and Tyson takes on Marciano.

Lewis vs. Louis - Interesting fight, one which I think could really go either way. But, I think Lewis had too much range and size. Lewis by KAYO.

Marciano vs. Tyson - Having never seen Marciano hurt (even his knockdowns were off balance slips more so than Marciano having his brain scrambled), I can't think of this fight NOT being a battle of will. And in a battle of wills, Marciano > Tyson.

So Lewis vs. Marciano. Gotta go with Lewis by a very boring, safety first, jab fest. Marciano didn't have the footspeed to work his way inside Lewis' reach to unload.

Ali vs. Lewis - Oh so interesting. I think Ali matches up kind of bad against Lewis, and I think Lewis is at his best in big fights. I go with Lewis in an upset decision!

Tyson vs. Holmes - I appreciate Holmes, and give him credit for longevity, and his ability. Here comes the but..... BUT I don't think he was good enough to beat the real special fighters in the sports history, and would pick him to lose to everyone mentioned here except Foreman. So, i go with Tyson on this one, tempted by kayo, but will say lopsided decision.

Louis vs. Foreman - Foreman was a polar fighter, an exceptional puncher, but not a great boxer by any stretch. I think Louis has the guile to beat Foreman. Louis by kayo mid to late.

Marciano vs. Frazier - Marciano to me is a two fisted Frazier. Marciano by kayo, again mid to late.

So now we have Lewis/Tyson and Louis/Marciano. Ironically, two fights that happened albeit with one fighter longer in the tooth than the other. So, for the sake of interest, let's make the bracket such that Lewis takes on Louis, and Tyson takes on Marciano.

Lewis vs. Louis - Interesting fight, one which I think could really go either way. But, I think Lewis had too much range and size. Lewis by KAYO.

Marciano vs. Tyson - Having never seen Marciano hurt (even his knockdowns were off balance slips more so than Marciano having his brain scrambled), I can't think of this fight NOT being a battle of will. And in a battle of wills, Marciano > Tyson.

So Lewis vs. Marciano. Gotta go with Lewis by a very boring, safety first, jab fest. Marciano didn't have the footspeed to work his way inside Lewis' reach to unload.

GSP is not impressed with your posting *shakes head*

You two are drinking Hatorade!!!! :D

ALI vs. Lewis- Too good to call

Tyson vs. Holmes- Same outcome as there fight. Maybe Holmes lasts a little longer, but the inevitable will happen sooner or later. Funny how ppl speculate "OH PRIME HOLMES WOULD WIN" He got KTFO regardless of age, so Tyson will have the advantage.

Louis vs. Foreman- Foreman KO

Frazier vs. Rocky- Damn...to close to call

Ali vs. Lennox Lewis
Tyson vs. Holmes
Louis vs. Foreman
Marciano vs. Frazier

Thanks

What did the field of 64 look like? Was there a fight-in match that started it off?

Back