boxing and parkinsons

you know its a rick roll coming along when the letters of the youtube is EGBGIQ

i look for that everywhere now, saved me a ton of rick rolls

I can't tell if this is a joke.

That's the beauty of it.

How many of you seriously considered my "cut medication causes Parkinsons" nonsense, even giving it just a little bit of consideration? :D

Be honest now, the Monsels story seems like pure bull$#!t (which it is), but how many of you might've just for a second seriously considered this as just maybe having something to it?!!!

GOTCHA!

Harmonica recognized bull$#!t when he seen it; you can't bull$#!t a bull$#!tter.
I'm sure you all enjoyed the good joke.

(takes a bow.) :icon_chee
CHEERS.

(I was grinning at my own joke all weekend, pretty lame.)

EDIT: The part about Monsel's Solution being the best for stopping bleeding is completely true as is the part about picking out the mett@llic bits out of the cut afterwards with a tweezers, and that the lead-based Monsel's Solution was eventually OUTLAWED.
That part's all true, and the late Al Gavin, perhaps the best cutman in the business, gave a great interview where he discussed Monsel's Solution. Gavin said it was for the best that Monsel's Solution was banned.

Kudos on mentioning Ali only being cut once; Bob Foster earned a place in the Ali legend by being the only man to ever cut Muhammad Ali.

Parkinsons is not fully understood, but there's strong statistical evidence that those with brain trauma substantially increase their risk for parkinsons.

Heavy drinkers, drug users, and boxers contract parkinsons at a much higher rate.

It's not a direct cause and effect, just an increased likelyhood. Much like cigarettes and lung cancer. I don't think doctors can explain entirely why cigarettes cause cancer, but statistics speak for themselves.

Also, many doctors call ali's condition, Parkinsons Syndrome, which basically says he has parkinsons like symptoms but not the disease.

How much higher is the incidences of Parkinsons in Boxers compared to the general population?

Is it elevated an insane amount compared to normal people. Like Ali and Roach have it, but I can't think of many others.

Chuvalo was hit in the head more times than anyone can count and hes completely normal, so it probably isn't a complete correlation between getting hit and Parkinsons. Maybe suseptability plus boxing, but not boxing alone. (unless you are stupid about it tho and spar right after a concusion or something)?

A lot of smokers live into thier 90s and never develop lung cancer....

Back