Boxers with God gifted talent

Foreman had the genetics to be a solid 230 against Jimmy Young without lifting weights and a training routine that consisted of a lot of running and skipping ......

As I type this somewhere in the world there's probably a kid who can't break a solid 180 doing nothing but lift weights complaining about it on a bodybuilding forum.

what about George Foreman? haven't people said his punches were very powerful, not in a fast dynamic way, but just 'thudding' i guess and delivered a lot of damage

Agree, George has the heaviest hands I've ever seen. It's like his forearms and fist were full of concrete.

He truly hurt guys, it's not like Wilder or Shavers who knock out guys with fast, crisp shots that they didn't see coming. Fighters would see every George punch coming and brace for it, but it still didn't matter.

Agree, George has the heaviest hands I've ever seen. It's like his forearms and fist were full of concrete.

He truly hurt guys, it's not like Wilder or Shavers who knock out guys with fast, crisp shots that they didn't see coming. Fighters would see every George punch coming and brace for it, but it still didn't matter.
for big stocky fighters like George, is it because of "force = mass X acceleration" ? meaning his punches were a bit slower than others, but his fists/arms are denser and heavier? i only took physics way back in high school, so i could be wrong on how that works...

for big stocky fighters like George, is it because of "force = mass X acceleration" ? meaning his punches were a bit slower than others, but his fists/arms are denser and heavier? i only took physics way back in high school, so i could be wrong on how that works...

I think in sport science they say;

Power = Force X Velocity.

So Foreman is probably a guy who punched with a lot of force and not a lot of velocity relatively speaking.

Might be why Ali called him a “push” puncher, his punches had a lot of force on impact (usually with the chin he was pretty accurate).

I think when you get into it sometimes limbs can move too fast before the muscles have had a chance to generate peak force.

Gary Russell Jr and Amir Khan. Both as fast as anyone but just missing the intelligence to match their speed. Their speed became their crutch.
I mostly agree but lately Gary has been relying a bit less on his speed and more on his craft. He was boxing very well in his last fight against Nyambayar. Now he's always talking about how intellect wins fights so he's leaning more towards being a thinking fighter than he used to be.

I mostly agree but lately Gary has been relying a bit less on his speed and more on his craft. He was boxing very well in his last fight against Nyambayar. Now he's always talking about how intellect wins fights so he's leaning more towards being a thinking fighter than he used to be.
I must admit I've not seen GRJ's last couple of fights. I'll have to check them out so I know where he's at if the Haney fight comes together.

Deontay wilder. He started at 21. Who knows how much greater he’d be if he started much younger like most.

It's kind of weird that Floyd Mayweather Jr hasn't been mentioned already.

Of course he owes a significant part of his success to his ring IQ. But when you think about it his fragile hands are pretty much his only physical weakness. The guy had it all :
- Speed, both hands and feet
- Power, not a puncher but he did have some pop. Think pre-147, when his hands weren't broken and he fought way less cautiously (he's 34-0 with 25 KOs under WW, without fighting tons of cans), just ask Mitchell, Gatti, Corrales, even Hatton at 147. And he had Canelo on his heels at times - the guy won a belt at 175.
- Chin : for all his defensive prowess he ate big shots from big punchers and did not go down ; the likes of Mosley or Maidana come to mind
- Recovery : said punchers couldn't follow up
- Hand-eye coordination : goes without saying
- Reflexes : same as above
- Gas tank : never seemed to get tired
- Reach : long arms that helped both offensively and defensively.

Last edited:

Of course he owes a significant part of his success to his ring IQ. But when you think about it his fragile hands are pretty much his only physical weakness. The guy had it all :
- Power, not a puncher but he did have some pop. Think pre-147, when his hands weren't broken and he fought way less cautiously (he's 34-0 with 26 KOs under WW), just ask Mitchell, Gatti, Corrales, even Hatton at 147)
- Chin : for all his defensive prowess he ate big shots from big punchers and did not go down ; the likes of Mosley or Maidana come to mind

But he was in gloves from 3, with a professional boxer family. Nature/nurture? He doesnt qualify.

For sure, roach said it himself. One of THE most gifted boxers he ever trained. Getting away with sparring hard for 70 rounds a week and nothing else.

Guys like may, loma and roy jones were drilled to death from the moment they could walk. Roy even mentioned that himself in an interview. He doesnt like to be seen as talented. His father beat him into the fighter he became.
I remmember Lennox Lewis saying in an interview that he was yelling yelling at Tony in a gym they once went together because Tony kept drinking whole large cola bottles between sets while training. This was during his HW run.

Macho Camacho. From the neck down he's as talented an athlete as I've seen in the ring. Blinding hand peed with both his hands and feet. Power. Co-ordination. He was Sugar Ray Leonard without the determination, heart, focus etc.

I think in sport science they say;

Power = Force X Velocity.

So Foreman is probably a guy who punched with a lot of force and not a lot of velocity relatively speaking.

Might be why Ali called him a “push” puncher, his punches had a lot of force on impact (usually with the chin he was pretty accurate).

I think when you get into it sometimes limbs can move too fast before the muscles have had a chance to generate peak force.

To be real: power is generated from the core/legs, leverage and balance. Foreman was just massively strong from bottom of his feet to the end of his fists.

Roy Jones was created from relentless abusive training from a very young age, he wasn't born that way. Ali had a gift.
Not saying that his upbringing didn't play a role, but no way in hell he didn't also have amazing physical gifts.

Sadly, some have little to no tape for people, only the awestruck words.

Henry Armstrong
Archie Moore
Ezzard Charles
Joe Walcott
Ray Robinson
Charlie Burley/Anyone from the Black Murderers Row
Willie Pep
James Toney
Bernard Hopkins
Pernell Whitaker
Floyd Mayweather

Some more obscure ones also, like

Gentleman James Corbett
George Dixon aka "Little Chocolate
Harry Greb (sadly, not a single film of his fights is available)

Tyson Fury, since he was born 3 months premature, and became Lineal Champ.

He also came back to beat (arguably) the scariest HW since Mike Tyson, after being a depressed suicidal obese drug addict. He also literally 'resurrected' in the 12th Round of the 1st fight with Wilder...that was truly miraculous!

Id be curious to know if John Fury had a premonition or just a desire, when he named his son Tyson.

- Power, not a puncher but he did have some pop. Think pre-147, when his hands weren't broken and he fought way less cautiously (he's 34-0 with 25 KOs under WW, without fighting tons of cans), just ask Mitchell, Gatti, Corrales, even Hatton at 147. And he had Canelo on his heels at times - the guy won a belt at 175.
- Reflexes : same as above

I mean Floyd’s instincts are just incredible.

the way he holds mosleys arm from the inside when he got cracked is amazjnf

For sure, roach said it himself. One of THE most gifted boxers he ever trained. Getting away with sparring hard for 70 rounds a week and nothing else.

Guys like may, loma and roy jones were drilled to death from the moment they could walk. Roy even mentioned that himself in an interview. He doesnt like to be seen as talented. His father beat him into the fighter he became.
Oh come on... He just mad cause it sounds like people are saying he worked less hard.
It's not like he had some sort of super sound technique or had state of the art S%C growing up.
Getting the athlete beaten into u sounds like everybody trying to get a visa out of Cuba.

Nobody just develops Roy's speed, and we wont see anybody do the shit he did from mw skipping a weight class to hw and winning a title, regardless on who's champ. Once in a decade athlete.

Reminds me of Julian Jackson whining the same way too. multiple times I've seen him say in a build up "power is useless unless u have the technique to apply it" or "people are fooled that I'm just raw strength". Just own it sigh

Back