Boxers who wrestled

guys, back in the old days wrestling was just part of fighting, when the Dempsey type fighters had a wrestler it wasn't anything they hadn't seen before.

I'm getting the impression, though I might be wrong, that some people are thinking old schooler like Dempsey actively wrestled during boxing matches. They didn't if that's the case. There were varying moments of time a fighter could punch a downed opponent and hold at the hips with a limited form of grappling. Ever since Broughton's rules in the 17th century there has been a down count to allow your opponent to stand after thirty seconds.

Also Dempsey's affection for wrestling might be a little exaggerated. After Dempsey retired and was in need of money he took on freak show style cross over fights with wrestlers, the legitimacy of which are in question. During that time he actively referred to wrestlers as easy money. At the time they were considered proxy matches to test how Dempsey would do should he return to boxing - sources say he looked poor a lot of the time but still came out on top.

"Jack could still hit a ton," Cole said, "but his legs were gone."Happily, the grotesque image of a wheezing middle-aged man clubbing wrestlers has faded. What remain vivid are pictures of the young tiger of the Western minefields using his flashing fists to destroy Jess Willard. Georges Carpentier and Luis Firpo—images of the Manassa Mauler, the greatest fighter of sport's Golden Age.

I'm getting the impression, though I might be wrong, that some people are thinking old schooler like Dempsey actively wrestled during boxing matches. They didn't if that's the case. There were varying moments of time a fighter could punch a downed opponent and hold at the hips with a limited form of grappling. Ever since Broughton's rules in the 17th century there has been a down count to allow your opponent to stand after thirty seconds.

Also Dempsey's affection for wrestling might be a little exaggerated. After Dempsey retired and was in need of money he took on freak show style cross over fights with wrestlers, the legitimacy of which are in question. During that time he actively referred to wrestlers as easy money. At the time they were considered proxy matches to test how Dempsey would do should he return to boxing - sources say he looked poor a lot of the time but still came out on top. There are many old instances of boxers taking on wrestlers and simply pummelling them.

"Jack could still hit a ton," Cole said, "but his legs were gone."Happily, the grotesque image of a wheezing middle-aged man clubbing wrestlers has faded. What remain vivid are pictures of the young tiger of the Western minefields using his flashing fists to destroy Jess Willard. Georges Carpentier and Luis Firpo

fighters in those days fought for real, just read dempseys bio, he won't be able to give you any of the pussy names for techniques like "whizzer" or "flamer" but he knew how to wrestle. Practical experience always trumps pussy shit.

fighters in those days fought for real, just read dempseys bio, he won't be able to give you any of the pussy names for techniques like "whizzer" or "flamer" but he knew how to wrestle. Practical experience always trumps pussy shit.

Gene Tunney

Gene Tunney

thats right, the Dempsey tunney fight was a transition that mirrored society's changes. America is nothing like it was in Dempseys time, people had to truly be tough. You could really just die in the streets of starvation.

Venroy July - Upcoming Cruiserweight was New England Champion then wrestled at UNC
Mark Brown - Recently retired Heavyweight was NJ state Champ
O'neal Bell and Kelvin Davis were both state champs. I believe in DE
Paul Burlenbach was Olympic wrestler and later middle weight boxing champ

Close...Berlenbach was an Olympic alternate in the 1920 games...never made it to the mat.....and then the light heavyweight boxing champ some years later.

Boxers who wrestled ? hmmmmmmm.....The following list of guys went from boxing to the pro wrestling ranks.

Randy Turpin
Tony Galento
Primo Carnera
Yvon Durelle
Terry Downes

Another thing is that a good trainer will incorporate some elements grappling into the training regime normally to manipulate the opponent. Boxers may not even realise it but themselves but they do still learn some elements of grappling.

most of them do realize it, clinching is wrestling, anything other than punching, defense and footwork could be considered wrestling. Strength is a factor in boxing, not THE factor but being a stronger guy can make a difference. Just look at Hearns-Hagler, Hearns could hit way harder but when they fought toe to toe, you saw who started going backwards.

Close...Berlenbach was an Olympic alternate in the 1920 games...never made it to the mat.....and then the light heavyweight boxing champ some years later.

Boxers who wrestled ? hmmmmmmm.....The following list of guys went from boxing to the pro wrestling ranks.

Randy Turpin
Tony Galento
Primo Carnera
Yvon Durelle
Terry Downes

I recently read "Night at the Fights" and one of the chapters discussed Primo's Greco background. I forgot about him. His long arms I am sure would be an asset in Greco. I had read that before his boxing career he was a circus strong-man before boxing, but have never come across other literature to back that up. If true, an eclectic array of sports for the Ambling Alp.

If it hasn't been said yet: Miguel Cotto was a wrestler during his high school days... I've also seen videos on youtube where he wrestled with Kurt Pellegrino and taught Pellegrino how to body punch (since most MMA fighters SUCK at body punching even more than at boxing in general).

Tyson Wrestled in high school. Read that in a article, can't find the link

Haha that makes Sapp look even more like a pussy, since he used the apple crush to show off on some talk show.

It doesn't make Sapp look as much of a pussy as you'd like to think, as opposed to Hodge just being a certified badass.

Haha that makes Sapp look even more like a pussy, since he used the apple crush to show off on some talk show.

The Tonight show with Leno. That was the first tonight show I ever saw and I had no idea who Bob was. I remember trying to figure out if he was some kind of wrestler or boxer.

It's actually pretty easy to crush an apple. As you're squeezing you just press your fingers in and pretty much cut into the soft parts.

I think we did a thread like this some years back....
but it's always interesting.

So let me start:
MC Paul Barman - wrestled in grade,middle and high school.
Took up boxing in college and got whooped by two puerto rican kids and ditched his dreams to become a professional boxer.... but now is an avid fan.

Okay, okay.....

O'Neil Bell - Cruiser weight boxer who was a state wrestling champion in high school. Had scholarship offers for colleges.

Mormeck clocking Bell - apparently for taking up boxing too late. Mormeck was offended that wrestling held Bell's affections for as long as it did:
ONeil-Bell-Mormeck3.jpg
This is interesting

You think it Made old timers tougher

In the Russian broadcast of Gassiev vs Dorticos, the commentator said that Gassiev wrestled in school and high school.

Tyson Wrestled in high school. Read that in a article, can't find the link

Seen no evidence for this. Google Tyson high school wrestling, you will not find anything. He already boxed then so it wouldn't make sense.

Last edited:
Back