Boxers who have moved to mma/kickboxing: what have you found?

It's just that ducking into knees from bobbing/weaving isn't as big a deal as people like to think. Why? Because most Boxers know how to defend or get out of the way of uppercuts, and uppercuts are just as likely to catch a guy from underneath as a knee.

Kabuki - you have any videos or can describe bobbing/weaving while defending from uppercuts?

I'm just wondering if you can clarify the mechanics since my sparring partners who do the crazy low weaving, man I would have to crouch down to uppercut them! Their head while weaving is beneath uppercut solar plexus level

Oh, and peek-a-boo boxers tend to eat a few knees to the face at first!

I dunno, Kalakoda when he went to K-1 Max seemed to not have much trouble with the knees but he seems to have more trouble adjusting to the leg kicks. THe only guy who gave him some trouble with knees are Buakaw and that was still a close fight. I dunno, his leg kick defense still does not seem very natural to him. I think that is sometimes why he gets outboxed even though he is the superior boxer

Kabuki - you have any videos or can describe bobbing/weaving while defending from uppercuts?

I'm just wondering if you can clarify the mechanics since my sparring partners who do the crazy low weaving, man I would have to crouch down to uppercut them! Their head while weaving is beneath uppercut solar plexus level

Check the new vids I posted in the Tyson training thread, Mike shows how to not be in the middle when throwing to the body. Then you're on either side, knees are a bit trickier to land. Especially if you're throwing an uppercut.

Back