Boxers that let their ego's or fame take over

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Too $hort, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Too $hort

Too $hort Guest

I think a boxer is at his best when he is not famous and is hungry as hell,I think its kinda sad when this happens.I think boxing is a sport were a fighters prime is gone really quik inless they stay focused and dont let their ego get ahead of them.

A list of a few guys I feel had this happen to them

1.Prince naseem hamed,I used to love princenaseem hamed,when I was a kid I thought he was the shit.He had power and was very cool character(something like punchout)he over looked
    mab and we never seen him again.

2.acelino freitas,he had power and was good,too bad his heart was not in it.he really lost focus and paid the price IMO his career could have been better.a ko loss to jaun diaz officaly ko'd his career

3.manny pacquaio,his life is crazy and I'm amazed he is still able to do what he does given the kinda lifestyle he lives.The guy partys all the time and has his hands in alot of shit,I really feel he will retire soon or lose becasue he clearly has lost his focus for the sport.

anyways their is way more out their but I want to hear what you guys say

2. MC Paul Barman

MC Paul Barman Gold Belt Platinum Member

This guy is nowhere near the caliber of fighters you mentioned.
    But I'd put Malcom Tann in that category.

I remember seeing some of his earlier fights, when he was still an undefeated prospect. He was big, young, had areas for improvement, but he also seemed motivated and focused on boxing. It was a couple of fights later, Tann still being a relatively unknown heavyweight, and he comes to the ring in this pimp's hat and all decked out. Playing some role that was definitely bigger than what he had accomplished. It also showed how focused he actually was on being a boxer.
    He looked like he was being groomed for a successful career in boxing. Suffered two losses, tried to regroup and then lost back to back fights against younger prospects (Arreola & Dimitrenko).

3. Tam-Tam

Tam-Tam Management vs Labour

Johnny Bumphus

4. Marc936

Marc936 Orange Belt

thats the filipinos lifestyle, go crazy but get your shit done heh, sadly it will lead to his downfall

5. Happy Boy

Happy Boy Silver Belt

Pac is showing no signs of that lifestyle hurting him, hes not Arturo Gatti.

Riddick Bowe is a classic example, if he hadnt been a lazy slob as a result of his wealth, he really could have been something.

6. Too $hort

Too $hort Guest

I'm not trying to be funny but does bowe have brain damage ? in his last interveiw he seemd semi retardted,I mean its almost hard to beleive this guy was champ just a few years ago.kinda sad

7. Happy Boy

Happy Boy Silver Belt

Yeah I think he does, ever since the second Golota fight where he had the big guy wailing on him for about 6 rounds of endless head pounding. Ive seen a programme or two on it and they talked about possible side effects of it, and he displays all of them!!

8. Todd Gack

Todd Gack Dutch

I'm not sure if it's actual brain damage or scar tissue in the nasal cavity. During my first year of college one of my sports med profs talked about boxers "brain damage" and said that it's sometimes not damage to the brain like we like to think it is, but rather scar tissue in the nasal cavity causing speech impediments. You'll notice guys like Holyfield, Bowe etc. sort of sound like they're talking through their nose with their tongue pressed against the roof of their mouth.

9. Todd Gack

Todd Gack Dutch

But yeah, Bowe does sound 'tarded.

10. Happy Boy

Happy Boy Silver Belt

Hes been acting like a headcase too, for years. Kidnapping his family, joining the marines etc.

Screw loose.

11. Todd Gack

Todd Gack Dutch

Wasn't he a school crossing guard at one point?

12. Too $hort

Too $hort Guest

13. Sinister

Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

Riddick Bowe does indeed have brain damage.

14. Happy Boy

Happy Boy Silver Belt

Sad alright, I hope he doesnt end up like Meldrick Taylor or someone like that, watching that dude in his heyday and seeing him now would bring a grown man to tears.

15. Cracky

Cracky Fanny Pack

He used that defense when he was on trial for kidnapping his wife and kids at knife point

16. Todd Gack

Todd Gack Dutch

"Mr. Bowe, could you please tell the court why you kidnapped your family at knife point."

"Duh....uh. Teh brain damage made me duh do it."

17. Cracky

Cracky Fanny Pack

I think Roy Jones let his fame take over. I also think Mike Tyson did. These guys started expecting their reputations to precede them. Now I don't think Roy trained any less, but there is a certain fire in your heart when you feel like you have something to prove. Roy didnt have that after a certain point. He was too good for his own good. Tyson , on the other hand, did slack off. He started out a hungry peekaboo wrecking ball with great defense. He ended up a strait forward wrecking ball with mediocre defense. I think this was caused by the fact that his fame and reputation often won fights for him before the bell even rung.
    I think Floyd Mayweather is going the way of Roy. He's letting fame go to his head, and (outside of his last performance) has lacked the fire that he had in his younger days recently.

18. Happy Boy

Happy Boy Silver Belt

No, Tyson was always a nutcase, he was just held under a very tight leash at the beginning. When that was gone, so was he. It wasnt fame or money or success, he just had nobody looking out for him anymore.

19. Cracky

Cracky Fanny Pack

I disagree. He had drive early in his life and that "leash", as Teddy Atlas has stated, was not as tight as some would believe. Tyson was wild young hoodlum even while Cus was training him. His wrongs were overlooked by Cus.

That doesn't mean he wasnt driven. He was driven towards being a champion. He lost his drive because of his fame and because of the ease in which he achieved his original goal.

20. ssx

ssx Brown Belt

Tyson of course.
    Remember Jose Luis Lopez? I remember thinking he would take over an rule when he battered Ike Quartey when Ike was considered the man. Supposedly he couldn't stop partying.
    Camacho SR., Benitez, the list goes on and on. How great or much greater could Sweet Pea Whittaker have been if he could have kept his nose clean???