"boxers fracture anyone"? I just broke my right hand AGAIN!

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by filthynumber1, Jul 12, 2005.

1. filthynumber1

filthynumber1 Silver Belt

check link out

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/upperfx/g/boxers.htm

i broke mine in a fight outside a nightclub here in Calgary back in April. My hand swelled up and looked just a big ball of swelling. I went to the hospital and the doc (orthopedtic surgeon) told me i had what is referred to as a boxers fracture and i needed surgery. I had to have a temporary steel pin drilled thru the side of my hand and casted for 6 weeks. They pulled the pin out after I got the cast off and my hands was pretty fuckin sore. k whatev right. well the other night i jokingly punched my friend in the shoulder (drunk of course) and broke the same bone all over again. the doc is not to impressed to say the least and neither am i.

now i have to have a cast for 10 - 12 weeks... fuck me

sorry. ranting over. flame away cuz io deserve it

2. Junglist

Junglist Green Belt

wrong forum.

3. filthynumber1

huh? what forum should it be?

4. limp_dilznick

limp_dilznick Brown Belt

punch with only your first two knuckles (index and middle) not the second two (ring and pinky)

5. carped33z

carped33z Guest

:redface: i broke my fifth meta carpal punching a fireplace mantel. it really depends on whether the thing heals crooked or not in terms of recovery and also permanent injury. mine is fine today and i never even had a cast or anything. i was also drunk :redface:

6. O-|-<]:

O-|-<]: Green Belt

ahha, that sucks man.. I got a fucked knee from having surgery on it, and i keep getting drunk & wrestling and with everyone when i get drunk, and i fuck it up a little bit so it makes me limp for like 3days.. I havent done anyhting major to it though.. I gotta quit fucking around when i get drunk.

7. filthynumber1

i know i know...but when your drunk and scraping you dont throw punches correctly. it was a wild scrap

8. Jackets

Jackets Brown Belt

[​IMG]
    Osteoporosis rules!!!!!!!11111

9. giambi's teste

giambi's teste Blue Belt

i been there, man. i never got full range of motion back.

10. Corey123

Corey123 Guest

Great comparison.

11. Zankou

Zankou Muscle and Hate Staff Member Senior Moderator

Man, that's why you gotta punch to the body in a street fight ... otherwise you break your hands!

12. Fzubek

Fzubek Brown Belt

Streetfighting is stupid anyway

13. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Fear the Menanite!!!

my left hand actually hurts when I throw a left hook...even when it is picture perfect...I am scared to think whats going on in there..

14. lena

lena Blue Belt

Fine in theory, but i think in actuality the hand just naturally and instinctively lines up on the last three knuckles. There's really no way to train that out. There's just no solution for it - the hand simply wasn't designed to punch. God wouldn't have made the bones in the hand so tiny otherwise.

15. phenomfan1529

phenomfan1529 Brown Belt

damn, that sucks bro. 10-12 weeks out of the gym would be pretty long for me.

16. ziggs

ziggs Blue Belt

On this thought.... I was always taught to snap my punches (assuming a straight).One day i was watching my sensei and when he turned his puches over it looked almost like he intentionally pointed his first two hitting knuckles (instead of his fist being straight and even, it was angled so that the first 2 knuckles would be guaranteed to hit first). I have since always wondered if this is what the ultimate wrist snap consists of....a twist of the wrist as well as pointing the the knuckles (as opposed to just the twist of the wrist)

Just wondering some more about knuckle specifics.I think the trajectory of the punch being thrown probably determines how you are trying to land your knuckles. Any insight into knuckle "physics" (including frractures) would be appreciated.

thank you

ps....
    do boxers with smaller hands than an equal size equivalent weight boxer have more psi punches?

17. TimPlu

TimPlu Blue Belt

a few months back i found out my girlfriend told this guy she worked with that she liked him and wanted to be with him so then we got into an argument and i punched a wall in my room only hitting a stud and i had a boxers fracture, but i didn' t need surgery tho. i was just in a cast for like 2 1/2 months. i have never smelled anything so bad before in my life.

18. fdupnct

fdupnct Blue Belt

I feel your pain. I've done that to my right hand twice and my left hand once. The only thing was I broke my right and left at the same time. It was ugly, I was young, it was stupid, I know better now. I was in a full cast for my right hand twice and the doctor gave me a removably cast for my left because it wasn't quite as bad. Which was nice because at least when I really needed it I could use 1 of my hands.

19. miniaq

miniaq Yellow Belt

Man I thought this was a boxing related thread! It seems to be more about punching walls and fighting while drunk etc...... I know it s easier said than done but if you have to fight on the street leave the punching brawls for the hollywood bunch, elbows, kicks and take downs are much more effective and less painful.
    Now for those of us with problems with hands during boxing training. I have been carrying one around for the past month and a half, I use this medication that helps somewhat and put a wrap during the night, but it s a bitch and won t go away completely, my doctor says it will heal only if I stop training untill it goes away. BTW hand fractures are very common in this sport ask Fedor!

20. fdupnct

fdupnct Blue Belt

He's not the only one, I know Vitor broke his hands during a few different fights. It sucks, but it could be worse.