Boxer in MMA - SPOILER Couture vs Toney

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

The thin end of the wedge
@Steel
Reaction score
What did you guys think of last night's fight ?

We witnessed a pro boxer, and a fully legit one at that, (defeated Holyfield, lasted 12rounds vs Roy Jones), get fully schooled by an MMA artist.

I am usually the first to think that a pro boxer would dismantle a pro MMA fighter in MMA, as an MMA guy wouldn't be able to even get past the jab of a pro boxer.

We saw how that went.

NOTHING can be infered from 1 fight, but jeez, it kind of got me thinking.

Thoughts ?

Toney lost because he comes from a boxing background and can't wrestle and has no ground game. most people in mma with striking backgrounds usually lose to wrestlers because mma is a grapplers sport. seriously, people are making too big a deal of this fight. this board has turned to complete shit in less than 24 hours.

Toney lost because he comes from a boxing background and can't wrestle and has no ground game. most people in mma with striking backgrounds usually lose to wrestlers because mma is a grapplers sport. seriously, people are making too big a deal of this fight. this board has turned to complete shit in less than 24 hours.

yeah, no the UFC made too much out of this fight...

Well duh any boxer will lose in MMA if the fighter is as smart as couture, but you can have a ray mercer tim sylvia fight too.

I wish people would just accept that they are not the same sport. It's like putting Donovan Mcnabb in a 1 on 1 pick up game against Kobe Bryant...

I wish people would just accept that they are not the same sport. It's like putting Donovan Mcnabb in a 1 on 1 pick up game against Kobe Bryant...

seriously... toney has been training his whole life for one thing and then after a few months of training he thinks he can change his entire train of thought and muscle memory enough to beat a good wrestler? that was throwing him to the lambs i cant believe he wanted lesnar. makes me think he just wanted an easy pay day and he wouldve lost just as fast n wouldnt have cared.

i hope he keeps training though so we can maybe see what a boxer can do if he trains MMA long enough to be able to use his hands... put him against a striker with very limited ground skills next and that will be much more interesting. give him time to work on his wrestling

mcnabb is actually dirty at basketball... look up joes vs pros nfl vs nba

I honestly don't think there is any stand up based fighter in the UFC
who could have stopped such a low and fast shoot.

Couture sure did play it safe.

loved the low single by randy, actually. Sakuraba is like the only guy in MMA who shoots those

I am usually the first to think that a pro boxer would dismantle a pro MMA fighter in MMA, as an MMA guy wouldn't be able to even get past the jab of a pro boxer....

Thoughts ?

You dont watch enough MMA.

Seriously, a pro boxer would beat an MMA guy in MMA?

A pro boxer with YEARS of grappling training/experience will be a monster.

it went exactly as i expected.
exactly, however i thought it would end with toney giving up his back and a rnc.

I am usually the first to think that a pro boxer would dismantle a pro MMA fighter in MMA, as an MMA guy wouldn't be able to even get past the jab of a pro boxer.

Thoughts ?
You think this because you probably haven't watched much MMA and definitely not the older days of MMA. The earlier UFCs showed that when it comes to single disciplines, grappling>striking.

From that it follows that an accomplished MMA fighter that is a very experienced grappler would destroy a one dimensional boxer.

We witnessed a pro boxer, and a fully legit one at that, (defeated Holyfield, lasted 12rounds vs Roy Jones), get fully schooled by an MMA artist.

The Toney that showed up on Saturday night would not have defeated Holyfield or lasted 12 rounds against Roy Jones.

"You think this because you probably haven't watched much MMA and definitely not the older days of MMA. The earlier UFCs showed that when it comes to single disciplines, grappling>striking.

From that it follows that an accomplished MMA fighter that is a very experienced grappler would destroy a one dimensional boxer. "

and the later ufcs showed that when it comes to people with multiple disciplines, its all about where you are weakest. A grappling striker > a striking grappler imo however.

The Toney that showed up on Saturday night would not have defeated Holyfield or lasted 12 rounds against Roy Jones.

Why because he has to worried about being out wrestled by Jones or Holyfield??

Toney is out of his prime but if you think that PBF would stand a better chance against Edgar your crazy.

This fight was no surprise.
Royce Gracie showed everyone that grappling > pure striking in MMA.

It was true at UFC 1 and it still held true at UFC 118.

"UFC 1 proved that grappling > striking" ?????

I disagree with that statement, for the only reason that MMA has been exposed so far to much better grappling than striking, so I think it's all speculation.

I thought that Toney could prove that on saturday night. Well he didn't, fine.

But wouldn't you agree that it's something that we can't really know for sure ??

. this board has turned to complete shit in less than 24 hours.

Dude.........................as opposed to what ?

"what works better in a street fight ?"

or

"should I take muy thai or drunken mantis for da streeetz ?"

come on now.

When it comes to 1 dimensional fighters the grappler would always win.

You dont watch enough MMA.

Seriously, a pro boxer would beat an MMA guy in MMA?

A pro boxer with YEARS of grappling training/experience will be a monster.

Um...

The boxer has a BIG CHANCE of winning if they try to strike with him in MMA. Just look at mercer and that guy Benji Radich lost to.

loved the low single by randy, actually.
I must have done dozens of those as a kid against mates who boxed.
(here in Australia wrestling and boxing are trained at PCYC, kinda like
community centres).

Considering how often Couture is prepared to stay on his feet and
box with MMA fighters, the fact that he shot the single so low on Toney
tells me he must have some respect for Toney's hands.
He didn't want them getting anywhere near him.

Back