Boxer dies following a KO

RIP in peace.

Here’s to hoping Max Holloway avoids a similar fate or any long term damage beyond what’s already happened.

One thing we tend to overlook is any given punch has the potential to knock you out cold, and there's always the risk of coma or death :(

This is why I don't like fighter bashing.

Chuck will be just about 49 when he fights Tito....

Comissions need to do something about this to prevent further tragedy.
That'd be crazy if Tito kills Chuck by KO.
Has Tito ko'ed anybody standing?

That's why I love grappling. You can keep your brain, and still engage with intensity for as long as your body holds up.

Rip,very sad. Fighting too old especially boxing is super risky.

That is sad. Most people here with boxing knowledge are probably familiar with Meldrick Taylor. How he was able to get licensed to fight later on in his career is unbelievable.

Or Holyfield when he could hardly talk,there's a zillion of these but that one bothered me.I watched that Taylor/Chavez fight again the other day,crazy stoppage with 2 seconds left but I can't disagree with it.

Fuck man that is horrible. Sometimes having no quit in your heart is a bad thing. You can't stay in the game for that long and leave in one piece. My condolence to his family.

Condolences for sure,and I have no strong point because I obviously know nothing about these men but I do find it concerning that his brother was his manager and said his brothers dream was to fight till he's 80.I'm not sure how i'd approach that is all,but I feel like I wouldn't be ok with it.Idk,sad though.I also find it odd that there's so many deaths in boxing that we don't hear about.

This may not be popular and I am not condoning letting him fight BUT-

It is a combat sport, he obviously loved the sport and planned to go out on his shield and did. Many sportsmen and hobbyists die doing dangerous things they love. If first world countries dont let people fight they will find places that will. One of the reasons boxing isnt banned is because people would just do it underground.

RIP

This is the main reason I think it’s incredibly shitty for fans of any combat sports to look at boxing gloves as ‘pillows’. Anyone who has stepped into the ring knows it isn’t even close to being the case.

At my first professional bout when my trainer my wrapped my hands and put on the gloves, I was like wtf these are way harder than I expected. A part of me wondering how it was legal for people to hit each other with this shit. A punch from a wrapped hand under a 8oz glove is harder than a barefist. Whenever anybody says boxing gloves are pillows, I know they have no idea what they're talking about.

Rip both fellas.

We are NOT kidding when we say Boxing is a dangerous business. I LOVE the sport, but it's got a few dark sides to it.

Boxing gloves are bigger therefore drum your head around more than a MMA punch. It’s worse. The MMA glove packs more energy in a smaller surface plus it’s also more difficult to defend against so there’s a bigger chance of getting knocked out and being cut, which is safer for you since the fight is stopped early. Also MMA rules stop fights very quickly once a fighter is unable to defend himself

Boxing gloves are just bad for your brain, even if you block. Plus the rule set doesn’t help, if you are too messed up to defend yourself you simply get a countdown and go at it again at the mercy of the referee.

Boxing is a much harsher sport than MMA

RIP Christian Daghio
"Christian died as he wanted to die, that is in the ring. He dreamed of fighting until he was 80 years old" -- his brother Fabrizio
He leaves behind his wife and 5-year-old daughter.

Boxing gloves are bigger therefore drum your head around more than a MMA punch. It’s worse. The MMA glove packs more energy in a smaller surface plus it’s also more difficult to defend against so there’s a bigger chance of getting knocked out and being cut, which is safer for you since the fight is stopped early. Also MMA rules stop fights very quickly once a fighter is unable to defend himself

Boxing gloves are just bad for your brain, even if you block. Plus the rule set doesn’t help, if you are too messed up to defend yourself you simply get a countdown and go at it again at the mercy of the referee.

All the evidence shows that repeated injury resulting in swelling, followed by additional injury once the brain is swelled, is the biggest danger to the brain.

The effect of the size of the gloves is heavily debated without a clear answer.

It may be that if MMA had a "knockdown" rule with a count, that they'd have an even higher death rate! Personally, I suspect it would play out that way; if boxing matches were declared complete the first time somebody couldn't defend themselves, they might not being doing the cumulative damage that they are now. Even in football (American) they're starting to understand that if you take a bad shot to the head, maybe you should call it a day?

Maybe boxing gloves are like pillows. But if there was a form of pillow-fighting where you hit each other with them hard enough to move the head fast enough that the brain bounces off the side of the skull, and then you do it again and again over a period of dozens of minutes, taking time out to catch your breath sometimes, people might really die from it. Just like, if you jump off a really high bridge into water, you can die! It doesn't matter that water feels soft to the casual touch. But the whole pillows thing is silly; boxing gloves are designed to protect the hands, because in bare-knuckle boxing people who punch full strength destroy their hands in just a few fights, so serious fighters had to pull their punches. The gloves are there so they can punch full strength. Transferring the force of the punch slightly slower doesn't change that way more total energy is being transferred; and it might actually make it worse!

"Not real fighting"

- Sherdork

Its not real fighting!! The rule set benefits the more athletic fighter too much. In mma there are more equalizers. A great striker being nullified by a wrestler is great to witness and a great striker that can stop the takedowns and put forth his gameplan is also great.
Boxing been around for a very long time so it has had time to expand and become sponsored better. But it is weaker combat sport in its core.

That's why I love grappling. You can keep your brain, and still engage with intensity for as long as your body holds up.

Striking destroys your brain. Unrestrained grappling destroys your spine.

Boxing gloves (and hand wraps) removes the "self-damage" limiter in one's brain, enabling one to throw strikes with no concern whatsoever. Do that enough times to someone's head and this is what happens.

That's why some advocate bare-knuckle boxing as safer. True, cuz the subconscious limits the power of the strike to avoid self-harm, but when slaps are included, it's pretty much the same as gloved boxing. It's easier to condition the hands to slap than harden the fist knuckles to hit something bare-handed.

Its not real fighting!! The rule set benefits the more athletic fighter too much. In mma there are more equalizers. A great striker being nullified by a wrestler is great to witness and a great striker that can stop the takedowns and put forth his gameplan is also great.
Boxing been around for a very long time so it has had time to expand and become sponsored better. But it is weaker combat sport in its core.

Whaaaa? The rules favor the more athletic fighter? Yes, athleticism is a major component but boxing can not be chalked up to purely being athletic. How do you explain when Ali came back and became champ after losing much of his athleticism returning from his ban?

George Foreman regaining the title at, what was he 45?
Hopkins winning a title at 49?
Duran winning a title at 49?

The guys they beat for the belts were like 10-15 years their junior. Moorer was almost 20 years younger than Foreman.

Boxing is a thinking man's game, it's not just about athleticism, there are plenty of equalizers in the sweet science.

If a guy moves his head too much you attack the body.
If a guy circles you have to cut the ring.
If a guy changes levels you uppercut him to stand him back up.
If a guy is too reliant on the jab you catch it and come over the top with the right hand.

Boxing isn't just about athleticism, many ways to win, and strategies.

MMA benefits raw athleticism more than boxing does. We’ve seen plenty of high level athletes come into MMA and be successful, but there aren’t very many examples of this in boxing.

There are two reasons for this - firstly MMA is more open ended with more way to win, and therefore more ways to capitalise on an athletic advantage. Secondly, the talent pool is much shallower, allowing top end athletes to stand out more.

RIP

This is the main reason I think it’s incredibly shitty for fans of any combat sports to look at boxing gloves as ‘pillows’. Anyone who has stepped into the ring knows it isn’t even close to being the case.
hell the gloves make boxing more dangerous because they protect the hands

Back