BOX squats

Nothing against box squats as they have their place, but they're inferior to the good ol' groin stretching, hip joint popping real thing.

I still believe the only way to learn proper squat form is to do proper squats. That's just me.

Any articles that Dave Tate writes about lifting are generally targeted twords powerlifting as well. His lifting advice may not be applicable twords your goals.

(his more general advice about lifting in general are very applicable though, his articles should still be near the top of your list)

I find that the easiest way to get a new squatter to sit BACK and learn the form is to use box squats. Most new lifters don't have stability in the bottom position and don't feel comfortable getting or staying there. However, when you give them a box to squat to, they don't worry about falling over and quickly learn form. After a few sets of those, they're usually ready to start squatting without the box.

Other than as a learning tool, I haven't done a whole lot with them and haven't really needed to use them. I suppose it couldn't hurt to experiment sometime int he near future.

No, squats are not replaceable by box squats. If they were don't you think you'd see a lot more people recommending box squats? Really, use some sense.

Box Squats are recommend all the time and are very common among strength athletes. Theyr'e especially beneficial to those using heavy loads and are being hindered by long recovery periods.

Nothing against box squats as they have their place, but they're inferior to the good ol' groin stretching, hip joint popping real thing.

I still believe the only way to learn proper squat form is to do proper squats. That's just me.

Why? Why are box quats inferior? You've made the statement, now back it up.

Is Poliquin good enough?
Charles "good enough" Poliquin said:
The problem I have with box squats is that their application is limited to powerlifting. The reason being is the goal of powerlifting is to lift the highest amount of weight for the shortest amount of distance within the rules. Essentially in the box squat, your shins don't travel forward. Now I don't know of any sport where the shins don't travel forward for propulsion. So the mechanics of the box squat aren't found in sport.

Do you think all the Westside people are up in arms yet and have me on their hit list? But it's the Bruce Lee principle again: use what is useful and reject what is not. Box squats are the only thing in the Westside system I don't agree with. They only have applications for powerlifting.

Also, any sort of restricted movement pattern tends to change soft tissue integrity. One thing you'll find with people who do a lot of box squats is that they're abnormally tight in the piriformis muscle, for example. In sports where you have to change direction a lot, the box squat will actually decrease your power because you won't be able to use those muscles efficiently.

Finally, most of the athletes I have are highly paid. There's a risk when doing box squats of the athlete bouncing on the box due to lack of concentration. The trauma that can result on the sacral vertebraes could be tremendous. There are just better alternatives. If you're a powerlifter, they're great. If you're any other type of athlete, stay away from the box squat.
Poliquin might take the dislike of box squats further than I support... but really....

This question is just as much about you as "Is it okay to yell in the gym?"

Its just another silly question.

No, squats are not replaceable by box squats. If they were don't you think you'd see a lot more people recommending box squats? Really, use some sense.

Then why do you link to an article in the FAQ that says they are?????????

Please dont be all gay to me when you guys ask new guys to read, which i did, then i ask a question about what u asked me to read and you go against what is in the FAQ. Dont know how to make you fell better about this whole thing but, to be honest i dont really care. I asked about something directly realted to an article you guys linked to.

Im not trying to be annoying and yes my questions earlier were very annoying and ive already said sorry for any inconvienence. I just dont see how talking baout the faq is silly.

you have your answer.

if you are having trouble with your form, try box squats.

but still, just follow the 5x5 for full squats and you will do just fine.

after you do a couple months of 5x5 and are starting to plateau, feel free to use box squats as a main exercise for a change of pace.

experiment. like i said, i've tried it and box squats aren't for me. i only do them as a change of pace.

you have your answer.

if you are having trouble with your form, try box squats.

but still, just follow the 5x5 for full squats and you will do just fine.

after you do a couple months of 5x5 and are starting to plateau, feel free to use box squats as a main exercise for a change of pace.

experiment. like i said, i've tried it and box squats aren't for me. i only do them as a change of pace.

thansk zero, i was simply seeing who tried them and if theres a dif is all.

Then why do you link to an article in the FAQ that says they are?
Context.

But you're going to respond "I'm an idiot noob and I don't know context!!!!11!!!one!!!"

Well, go read some more, build your context. ASK IN YOUR LOG. This is a simple question that I answered in my last post with a search on T-Nation. Try to answer your own questions first before spamming the forums again.
Please dont be all gay to me
chasefb8.th.jpg

I'm not gay, and even if I were I wouldn't get gay with that.
when you guys ask new guys to read, which i did, then i ask a question about what u asked me to read and you go against what is in the FAQ.
You know why we do that? So they don't ask lots of silly questions.
I just dont see how talking baout the faq is silly.
You don't try to answer your own questions. You have other avenues of asking questions outside of spamming the main forum. Taking a step back and thinking about it, searching this forum, T-Nation, EliteFTS, StrongLifts, searching T-Nation forum, searching EliteFTS Q&A, asking in your log, Carnal's pub, or in the log of a lifter you respect.

well, the main goal i presume is to get better at full squats. box squats are an assistance to that. thats why most people are saying if you want to get better at squatting....squat.

now if your number one/primary goal was to get better at box squatting...you would box squat. then maybe have full squats as an accessory.

If you've ever read www.stronglifts.com (good site for nubs by the way) you'd see that you're messing with the formula.

You've just started, give regular squats a chance first. Don't mess with the formula, it's been already been proven.

If you've ever read www.stronglifts.com (good site for nubs by the way) you'd see that you're messing with the formula.

You've just started, give regular squats a chance first. Don't mess with the formula, it's been already been proven.

i get it, wasa curious ot see if they are the same due to what i read.

Originally Posted by Charles "good enough" Poliquin
The problem I have with box squats is that their application is limited to powerlifting. The reason being is the goal of powerlifting is to lift the highest amount of weight for the shortest amount of distance within the rules. Essentially in the box squat, your shins don't travel forward. Now I don't know of any sport where the shins don't travel forward for propulsion. So the mechanics of the box squat aren't found in sport.

Do you think all the Westside people are up in arms yet and have me on their hit list? But it's the Bruce Lee principle again: use what is useful and reject what is not. Box squats are the only thing in the Westside system I don't agree with. They only have applications for powerlifting.

Also, any sort of restricted movement pattern tends to change soft tissue integrity. One thing you'll find with people who do a lot of box squats is that they're abnormally tight in the piriformis muscle, for example. In sports where you have to change direction a lot, the box squat will actually decrease your power because you won't be able to use those muscles efficiently.

Finally, most of the athletes I have are highly paid. There's a risk when doing box squats of the athlete bouncing on the box due to lack of concentration. The trauma that can result on the sacral vertebraes could be tremendous. There are just better alternatives. If you're a powerlifter, they're great. If you're any other type of athlete, stay away from the box squat.

I'm an interesting case here because I'm one of the few people that takes things for what they are, rather than who wrote them. I will not disprect Poliquin in the least bit, the man has done things for athletes that most people can't even fathom but in my opinion, that does not make him infallible.

The box squat movement is not directly transferred over in to a sport movement, but then again the squat movement is rarely duplicated. He touches on the subject of propulsion and an athlete moving forward but the squat is not a lift that directly translates to this either. The concept of the Squat, or pretty much any strength exercise, is not to directly copy the movement but to provide strength for all movements. Simply put, the Squat is about a specific movement that varies very little from the box squat. If Poliquin believes that the Box Squat is harmful to an athlete who needs to be agile and have the ability to change directions, well then he is essentially saying the same thing about the squat.

The squat is not a movement based around the change of direction. Plyometrics, Skills Training, any countless amount of things can be directly focused on through other means. Now, the one thing I will agree is the risk of injury involved with Box Squats. If you simply just drop down on to the box without the proper form and muscle tightness, you will hurt yourself. However, one of the benefits of the box squat is a severe decrease in DOMS when compared to standard Squats. For an athlete doing heavy training, plyometrics, sprint work, and skill training - this can make a significant difference in training output.

Again, I am no Charles Poliquin, that's for sure - but that is my take on the subject.

http://stronglifts.com/do-you-make-t...ronglifts-5x5/

This is the actual article I was referring to about not messing with the program.

Now, I do believe he should quit overanalyzing thigns and simply work on a routine but I do not like that link. Stronglifts has built an incredible reputation here even though he has some very questionable principles.

His 5x5 routine borderlines on overtraining, if not completely crossing the line. The article you linked to above bothers me on several levels. First, it assumes his program (which wasn't original in the first place) is the best and has no flaws. He tells you that if you're sore, to work out anyways even though it's often more beneficial to rest the body to avoid over-training. He says working out is the best way to reduce soreness. A few lines down he says if you over-estimate and lift too heavy, then you won't be able to go to the gym because you're sore. Simply put, while he has been glorified, he's still not much different than the average educated individual on the internet giving advice. While he is well learned and can pass on some wonderful knowledge, he still has flaws that bring him back down to reality.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qvC1ijiyv1c&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qvC1ijiyv1c&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

*applause*

Good post Kross.

To sum up my philosophy: You shouldn't use box squats until you know what they are, how they work you differently than regular squats, and if they are appropriate for you.

Zero.... you worry me.

^^^ this is why i was asking, didnt mean to spam, thought it was a legit, and not bothersome question. But i get man, im gunna keep all my Q's im my log to avoid gettin kicked in the teeth around here lol.

You're right kross, I didn't mean to make him out to be infallible, I was just trying to get the point across that workoutguy has BARELY started 5x5.
I was just trying to convey the point he should at least try and knock out a couple weeks of training before trying to switch it up.

I think box squats are a good training tool and should be part of your arsenal, but I don't think that they should take precedent over regular squats (sorry I can't back this up with any scientific proof; only personal preference).

Why? Why are box quats inferior? You've made the statement, now back it up.

I meant it in the context we're talking about here. If the goal is overall strength and athletic application, then the value of constant muscle tension and powering out of the bottom portion of the squat is immeasurable.

Back