Box Squats

Ninja Realist

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Since you are able to lift more weight with box squats than with full squats, does training box squats with full squats give you more power over a smaller range of motion, or is it counter productive to focus at all on box squats when you have a low full squat total?

I've read (I believe Dave Tate was the author) that some powerlifters only train box squats leading up to the competition, and then calculate how much they can squat and go for it.

It depends what your goals are, of course.

If you free squat and box squat to the same depth you should be able to free squat more than you can box squat.

I've read (I believe Dave Tate was the author) that some powerlifters only train box squats leading up to the competition, and then calculate how much they can squat and go for it.

It depends what your goals are, of course.

I think this is the article:
T NATION | Squatting from Head to Toe

Not really sure of how to answer your question, but the article is pretty good.

box squats are a very good way to go i did nothing but box squats for six months and went from squating 400 lbs to 550lbs.

I do Hip Squats with a dip belt. I stand on 18 inch steps and squat till the weight touches the ground then I come up. I know its not a strict box squat but does it have a similar training effect? My intention is to prep my body for either back squats or front squats in a few weeks.

I do Hip Squats with a dip belt. I stand on 18 inch steps and squat till the weight touches the ground then I come up. I know its not a strict box squat but does it have a similar training effect? My intention is to prep my body for either back squats or front squats in a few weeks.

There's not much vertical force being put on your back using hip squats.

You are right. My back will probably be the weak point on my squats.

Back