Box squat vs squat squat

deadshot138

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Which is harder, or which is supposed to be harder? Box squat feels safer since you have something stopping your descent, but you lose the stretch reflex if you do the box squat correctly by not doing touch and go or rocking back and forth to give yourself catapult energy off the box.

I switched to box squatting since I want to train myself to squat with a vertical shin and having something to land on is the only way I’ll get used to sitting back and pushing through my heels. I haven’t maxed the box squat yet but the numbers are similar to my regular squat at the moment for rep work.

The harder one is most likely the one you have spent less time doing. For most lifters, that's probably the box squat. Though I suppose for a beginner, it'd be easier to learn to just plop down on a box and extend back up, then it would be to do a proper back squat.

Which is harder, or which is supposed to be harder? Box squat feels safer since you have something stopping your descent, but you lose the stretch reflex if you do the box squat correctly by not doing touch and go or rocking back and forth to give yourself catapult energy off the box.

I switched to box squatting since I want to train myself to squat with a vertical shin and having something to land on is the only way I’ll get used to sitting back and pushing through my heels. I haven’t maxed the box squat yet but the numbers are similar to my regular squat at the moment for rep work.
Box squat breaks up the eccentric/concentric chain. It's generally more difficult for most people. I dislike box squats, never got any carryover to my free squat. In my opinion, you should be proficient in free squat before you start fucking around with box squats.

Just to clarify, there are two things that are called box squats

1) A corrective drill that imparts consistent depth, like Sheiko uses

2) A special strength exercise where you have to reach back to squat, and engage the hamstrings to get off the box (instead of just pressing the earth away)

The second really enhances deadlift or geared squat more than the free squat. You can also do a shitload more volume than you can of either free squats or deadlifts

Is there a reason why you’re forcing yourself to squat with a vertical shin?
Trying out Matt Wennings form on everything to see if it’s better for me since we have similar proportions. However I haven’t spent a decade in multiply or on tren so I’m at a slight disadvantage.

The harder one is most likely the one you have spent less time doing. For most lifters, that's probably the box squat. Though I suppose for a beginner, it'd be easier to learn to just plop down on a box and extend back up, then it would be to do a proper back squat.
You’re right, I can conventionally pull 620 but my sumo is 100lbs less despite being the “easier” variation, simply because I’ve spent no time doing it. That and I use my quads and back more than my glutes while deadlifting <Lmaoo>

Trying out Matt Wennings form on everything to see if it’s better for me since we have similar proportions.

Having similar proportions to someone doesn’t mean anything.

If there’s nothing wrong with your squat form and you’re not having pain issues, I can’t see why you’d be doing this.

Having similar proportions to someone doesn’t mean anything.

If there’s nothing wrong with your squat form and you’re not having pain issues, I can’t see why you’d be doing this.
You’re right, I’ve been squatting the same way for years without issue, and trying to squat with a vertical shin is fucking impossible. I’ll stick to deadlifts for my posterior chain.

I prefer box squats for hitting consistent depth, whether it's touch and go, or paused.

I prefer box squats for hitting consistent depth, whether it's touch and go, or paused.

But there aren't even any squats in your program from the other thread lol...

Personally I do both. Regular squats to go deep and build the quads, box squats to a paralel height box to build the glutes and hamstrings.

Bought a proper box and have been squatting to 14 inches. I like it. It is harder at that depth than a regular squat since no stretch reflex and I don’t use catapult energy off the box. Hit 480x5 beltless today.

My knees are shit and I've found box squats to be much less aggravating. I also think the training of force development off the box is useful for me football.

If I could squat squat pain free I'd do it everyday though :(

Back