Movies Bourdain

I wonder if this era is dead of travel tv shows is dead.

The youth follow Traveller Instagrammers who usually are also very good looking people who also do modelling. There are exceptions as one of the most famous travel guys is Drew binsky an unattractive ginger but he has 600k followers or so which isnt really a lot compared to some accounts in the millions
I think maybe part of the shift is that there has been such a long period of lowered buying power for younger people, that what would be in the vein of a travel show appeals more when it’s having to do with more achievable forms of travel. There are big channels on teaching English abroad, the digital nomad thing, and backpacking.

probably a lot of millenials and younger won’t necessarily look at a vacation staying at hotels and getting fine dining in Florence as something they’d be likely to see outside of a trip with their parents I think.

I think maybe part of the shift is that there has been such a long period of lowered buying power for younger people, that what would be in the vein of a travel show appeals more when it’s having to do with more achievable forms of travel. There are big channels on teaching English abroad, the digital nomad thing, and backpacking.

probably a lot of millenials and younger won’t necessarily look at a vacation staying at hotels and getting fine dining in Florence as something they’d be likely to see outside of a trip with their parents I think.
Oh bugger off, Jay, I know you're only doing it because I adore Italy but disliked Florence.

I don't get where you get your emotional hook from because in the 30 years I've known you, you haven't chose to share it.

Saying people in the service industry are boring is pretty snobby. And I'm a bit of a snob myself.

Slagging people off who cook for a living, spend 12 hours a day on their feet, pretty disrespectful unless you never go out to eat.

Oh bugger off, Jay, I know you're only doing it because I adore Italy but disliked Florence.

I don't get where you get your emotional hook from because in the 30 years I've known you, you haven't chose to share it.

Saying people in the service industry are boring is pretty snobby. And I'm a bit of a snob myself.

Slagging people off who cook for a living, spend 12 hours a day on their feet, pretty disrespectful unless you never go out to eat.
I’m not being disrespectful. They’re just not very interesting partly because it’s relatively low skill and partly because it’s been overexposed like mufucka. I work in a boring ass industry too and I wouldn’t expect a lot of people to watch a show about process development and be like “oh wow look at that evaporator bro they’re down to 20% moisture and nothing is gumming up!”

I’m not being disrespectful. They’re just not very interesting partly because it’s relatively low skill and partly because it’s been overexposed like mufucka. I work in a boring ass industry too and I wouldn’t expect a lot of people to watch a show about process development and be like “oh wow look at that evaporator bro they’re down to 20% moisture and nothing is gumming up!”
Because you don't understand food, and how beautiful cooking is. The people in this thread who do, understand how intricate and how involved it is when you create a perfect dish, how wonderful it is to spend hours and put it in front of a loved one and really enjoy it together. You don't. And that's fine.

Because you don't understand food, and how beautiful cooking is. The people in this thread who do, understand how intricate and how involved it is when you create a perfect dish, how wonderful it is to spend hours and put it in front of a loved one and really enjoy it together. You don't. And that's fine.
No I do but it’s still meh though.

No you don’t understand or you’d know that I understand yet am underwhelmed.
Considering your responses, one of which I chose to ignore because it was clearly just posted trying to wind me up because you have known me since 2007 and know me really fucking well. I don't hate you for it, we'll be friends for a long time. You just have always tried to push my buttons and belittle my interests, music, movies, etc. And I know for the most part you wouldn't keep pusing it when I don't respond if you weren't doing it fo a laugh :D

Considering your responses, one of which I chose to ignore because it was clearly just posted trying to wind me up because you have known me since 2007 and know me really fucking well. I don't hate you for it, we'll be friends for a long time. You just have always tried to push my buttons and belittle my interests, music, movies, etc. And I know for the most part you wouldn't keep pusing it when I don't respond if you weren't doing it fo a laugh :D
I can promise you 100% that I didn’t come into this thread to push your buttons. I like to cook just fine, but don’t have much more excitement for Anthony Bourdain or most cooking related shows.

I actually miss the old days of the food network when celeb chefs had their own shows and they would actually cook.

now it seems whenever I flip to the food network it’s re runs of DDD or another stupid cooking competition type show.

I guess YouTube is where it’s at now.

I wonder if this era is dead of travel tv shows is dead.

The youth follow Traveller Instagrammers who usually are also very good looking people who also do modelling. There are exceptions as one of the most famous travel guys is Drew binsky an unattractive ginger but he has 600k followers or so which isnt really a lot compared to some accounts in the millions

All the long form travel and eat shows are on youtube now.

My best friend and I were both big fans as we thought the idea of traveling the world, eating at the best places, and being shown the real culture by locals over touristy stuff just seemed like the coolest existence. When he died and discovered by Eric Ripert, his best friend, it led us to a discussion. Neither of us ever considered suicide an option but we got into discussing the dichotomy of that: on one hand, it's a sign of trust and closeness but, on the other, it's incredibly selfish and it's terribly traumatizing to someone you're close to.

I can promise you 100% that I didn’t come into this thread to push your buttons. I like to cook just fine, but don’t have much more excitement for Anthony Bourdain or most cooking related shows.
So quit harping on like in the first response you had then, Jace.
You just know a boatload about me and know to get a response because we've known each other.
It's okay, still buds. But...:D

tenor.gif

Reactions: JSN
So quit harping on like in the first response you had then, Jace.
You just know a boatload about me and know to get a response because we've known each other.
It's okay, still buds. But...:D

tenor.gif
What the butt? I didn’t come in trying to get a rise; I was just sharing my opinion of his output.

Now, this, I am very much looking forward to. Loved his books, watched pretty much anything he put on TV. It should be good.

Very interested. I really enjoyed Kitchen Confidential and most of his tv. He used to rub me the wrong way leaning into the “bad boy” of the culinary world because it didn’t seem genuine. Once he laid off Rachel Ray he became way more tolerable as a person.

Check out The Layover if you haven't seen it then. It's basically he has a few hours to spare before a connecting flight and what to do with those hours. The longest I've had was in S Korea, I was thinking of him at the time.
I like the idea but it made feel guilty about everytime I had a layover just getting a stool at the bar and eating whatever was cheap or on a daily special in the terminal

loved that show his jabs at Bourdain for being a skinny foodie made me chuckle

I'll never forget the durian fruit episode. If he wouldn't eat it it just made me more curious to try it.

That's what I like about the show. He was eating bugs and weird see creatures and eventually I'd find myself salivating over some of the stuff.

Back