"Bouncing" at the bottom of a Squat?

When I'm in the hole, I don't bounce, but I feel like I do a sort of a spring motion that involves my hamstrings.

I go down a little past parallel and at this point, I can really feel my hamstrings stretch. When the time comes to ascend, it's like I have an extra kick out of the hole thanks to this.

Did that make sense?

Yah, thats what I do as well.

I've got a problem where I can't squat fast or else my lower back rounds. When I lower myself slowely, I have no problem, but when I "bounce" at the bottom, I can't keep an arched back.

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

I've got a problem where I can't squat fast or else my lower back rounds. When I lower myself slowely, I have no problem, but when I "bounce" at the bottom, I can't keep an arched back.

Are you losing air on your descent? Try pressing your abs out hard and filling your belly with air. Sometimes that keeps my tension more so than just concentration.

I don't think I am. I take a deep breathe at the top, and don't let any air out until I'm back to the top.

That doesn't sound right, I am betting that you are not staying tight.

Actually that can be right, depending on the technique. It's just an aggressive way of accessing the SSC (stretch reflex). I use the same thing periodically. And no one's mentioned it yet, but you're also getting a stretch reflex out of your quads.

By all means - as long as you're injury free - use it.

And no, it shouldn't cause knee problems later because, for the most part, knee problems will come from not staying back (as previously mentioned) and stopping at parallel. If you stop at parallel you can't get a stretch reflex/bounce, so if you're getting one you should be fine.

I'm betting that when you squat too fast you engage your hip flexors too much. Either try consciously avoiding that or do a relatively thorough stretch of them before squatting.

Actually that can be right, depending on the technique. It's just an aggressive way of accessing the SSC (stretch reflex). I use the same thing periodically. And no one's mentioned it yet, but you're also getting a stretch reflex out of your quads.

By all means - as long as you're injury free - use it.

And no, it shouldn't cause knee problems later because, for the most part, knee problems will come from not staying back (as previously mentioned) and stopping at parallel. If you stop at parallel you can't get a stretch reflex/bounce, so if you're getting one you should be fine.

Ok, I've done it a few times and I don't think I'm really bouncing as much as I thought I was. I definately feel a stretch in my hams and butt so I think I'm using the stretch reflex to come up, but I'm not sure.

The thing is I don't feel the same stretch if I go down slowly, which causes me to stall at the bottom. I have to think about bouncing out of the bottom (even though I'm really not) or I get stuck. If I don't break parallel with the intent in my mind of bouncing back up I'm not able to access my legs the same way to push out of the hole.

I will try to get a camera this weekend and upload a video just to make sure my technique is correct.

Thanks.

Don't crash into your bottom, 'turn up the brakes' as you approach the bottom.

Don't crash into your bottom, 'turn up the brakes' as you approach the bottom.

I know exactly what he means, as you descend, you are going at a certain speed, which should be fairly consistent--as you approach "the hole" you slow down ( ie, turn up the brakes) just a notch and for most people watching its impercetible---and then with the slightly lower speed, you can hit the bottom, use the stretch reflex, use the mechanical action of hamstrings on lower legs to accelerate out of the hole, but its not a bounce, its a controlled impact rebound and when done properly its safe and highly effective, I would add that about the same time I turn up the brakes, I also begin aggressively pushing upwards on the bar with my arms, like I am trying to do a behind the neck press and I continue this tension into the hole and then about 30 degrees coming out of the hole, very effective technique

For heavy sets where you go slow even though your intend to go up fast, out of the bottom I like to pretend that I'm a rocket launching:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E_eN86ww2fY&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E_eN86ww2fY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I know exactly what he means, as you descend, you are going at a certain speed, which should be fairly consistent--as you approach "the hole" you slow down ( ie, turn up the brakes) just a notch and for most people watching its impercetible---and then with the slightly lower speed, you can hit the bottom, use the stretch reflex, use the mechanical action of hamstrings on lower legs to accelerate out of the hole, but its not a bounce, its a controlled impact rebound and when done properly its safe and highly effective, I would add that about the same time I turn up the brakes, I also begin aggressively pushing upwards on the bar with my arms, like I am trying to do a behind the neck press and I continue this tension into the hole and then about 30 degrees coming out of the hole, very effective technique

Interesting, good description. You, Sir, are a technician.

Back