Bought a Fuji Judo DW gi. Would like something lighter but not single weave...

KShaft

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Well after purchasing a Fuji gi, I think its a bit heavy and a bit bulky. You kind of have to buy a size too big for the sleeves to be regulation thanks to the infinite wisdom of the IJF.
Its made very nice and is a solid recommendation but it just fits me a bit odd and is heavy. It also doesnt breathe too well. I still can use it but would like to get another Gi anyway since Im doing this 4 times a week so Im not washing the Fuji constantly, and to get perhaps a blue gi for competitions and to get a gi that will be more to my preference.

I was wondering if some ones could recommend a gi that was perhaps a "1 1/2" or light double weave that would be good for training and comp. Id like for it to be soft, and if not soft at least very mobile and non restricting.
Ones I had in mind:
- Fushida tournament
- Tokari premium
- Addidas Elite or Contest (The instructors kids[who compete internationally and are young adults] at OSU had a Champion and I thought it looked damn awesome but I dont want so heavy...) If I get blue I should just go with an elite cause its $50 extra bucks for the contest than the white...????
- Yusho Japan
- Mizuno Sempai (not blue unfortunately)
- Yusho II
- Maybe light weight KuSakura (JOWI) This one has many different sizes to properly fit me, but It will take a while for it to arrive and Id like it sooner than later for the second gi purpose.
- Togoya Master (I think this is the same weight as an Elite. The only problem with this would be sizing. I bet this would not be far off from the Japanese gis quality wise but since its long distance mail order, it can be a crap shoot and the time thing).

Im sure the Mizuno or Kusakura will probably be the best, but Im still wary about getting a Mizuno and being a silly white belt who is still taping for lack of air... and there is the possiblity I might move better in one of the 1.5 weave gis (But then again I guess the Yusho's are supposed to be light weight double weaves...) oh and yeah what was that other thing, oh yeah MONEY!

Thanks,
Keith S

Thanks a bunch.

Last edited:
The Mizuno Jimmy Pedro and Keiko immediately come to mind for 1.5 weaves.

If you find the Fuji double weave to be heavy, you won't like the Adidas Elite, Adidas Contest, Mizuno Yusho and Yusho II either.

If you find the Fuji double weave to be heavy, you won't like the Adidas Elite, Adidas Contest, Mizuno Yusho and Yusho II either.

Oh man I thought the Yushos were light weight double weaves. Ill take your word for it though as everyone echoed the Elite comments. The Contest is a heavy single though, do you mean Champion perhaps (heavier double weave).

Thanks for the replies.

Oh man I thought the Yushos were light weight double weaves. Ill take your word for it though as everyone echoed the Elite comments. The Contest is a heavy single though, do you mean Champion perhaps (heavier double weave).

Thanks for the replies.

Oops, yeah, I meant the Champion.

The Yusho isn't light weight per se, it's just thinner and lighter than a Eurocomp (which is a suit of armor and was the competiton-standard Mizuno in North America up until a few years ago -- most folks that remember what a Eurocomp felt like will immediately say the Yusho is light and thin compared to it, but the Yusho is far from being a 1.5 weave haha).

Hey do you have any experience with the DanRho gis? I may be too fat for it but the height is about right, I can get a platinum for $80. I dont see any reviews anywhere. Where are these things made anyway?

Thank you oh very knowledgable gi sage!

Hey do you have any experience with the DanRho gis? I may be too fat for it but the height is about right, I can get a platinum for $80. I dont see any reviews anywhere. Where are these things made anyway?

Thank you oh very knowledgable gi sage!

DanRho is a German brand, but their gi's are made in China IIRC (if not China, Pakistan; but I'm pretty sure China). They used to be a really high-quality, sought-after brand (akin to Dax and Essimo) when they were Euro domestic market only, but at about the time they expanded to the North American market, the quality dropped precipitously from what I've been told.

Unfortunately, I have no direct experience with them so I can't tell you much more than that -- sorry! :redface:

P.S. I'm really shocked that they aren't more judo players chiming in here about judogi's! :icon_conf

DanRho is a German brand, but their gi's are made in China IIRC (if not China, Pakistan; but I'm pretty sure China). They used to be a really high-quality, sought-after brand (akin to Dax and Essimo) when they were Euro domestic market only, but at about the time they expanded to the North American market, the quality dropped precipitously from what I've been told.

Unfortunately, I have no direct experience with them so I can't tell you much more than that -- sorry! :redface:

P.S. I'm really shocked that they aren't more judo players chiming in here about judogi's! :icon_conf

Oh youve been very very helpful thanks! Its a shame about DanRho.

And yeah wheres all the judoka at? WTH?

I had a Yusho (when they were called supreme) and i think it was lighter than the FUJI, but maybe its because the Yusho is extremely flexible, roomy and breathable, that i just felt it was lighter. My guess is that the Yusho 2 made with not as good quality (still a mizuno, they are quality) will feel like the Fuji DW.

Contest and Keiko seem a good choice, im currently rotating between a Mizuno Keiko and a Shiai, my fav is the Keiko as it has the same roomy and breathable feel of the supreme, while the shiai feels more tapered and more stiff.

Are they still making Mizuno Senpai?

I had a Yusho (when they were called supreme) and i think it was lighter than the FUJI, but maybe its because the Yusho is extremely flexible, roomy and breathable, that i just felt it was lighter. My guess is that the Yusho 2 made with not as good quality (still a mizuno, they are quality) will feel like the Fuji DW.

Contest and Keiko seem a good choice, im currently rotating between a Mizuno Keiko and a Shiai, my fav is the Keiko as it has the same roomy and breathable feel of the supreme, while the shiai feels more tapered and more stiff.

Are they still making Mizuno Senpai?

I dont know if they still make em but you can find em. LOL @ I had a Yusho (when they were called supreme)

Considering that you are making me almost just now push the button on the Senpai because it is less material than the Supreme but other than that the same and Japanese made. Im surprised your saying the Shiai is more stiff. I thought those were supposed to be a soft gi. Oh well. I can still get a Elite for just a hair over $100 shipped. Its not a Mizuno but thats a good gi for cheap.

Jukado, Gill Sports, Gorilla Fight Gear, Ronin / Kinjisan and Hsu might have something in the not so expensive range.

Noob judoka here. Got my yellow a few weeks ago. First tourney coming up in two weeks.

Jukado, Gill Sports, Gorilla Fight Gear, Ronin / Kinjisan and Hsu might have something in the not so expensive range.

Noob judoka here. Got my yellow a few weeks ago. First tourney coming up in two weeks.

Sweet dude!!! Good work!!!

I have the gorilla gear gi, training partners hate it.

Sweet dude!!! Good work!!!

I have the gorilla gear gi, training partners hate it.

Thanks man! I did a bit of JJJ and BJJ in the past so that certainly helped me transition into Judo.

I really like my Gorilla Gear gi; I got a smoking deal on their gold weave model a few years ago when they were discontinuing that one and transitioning to their new stock. It's super rugged and I've had zero problems with it. I remember some of the guys I trained BJJ with complained about my gi hurting their fingers after doing spider guard drills! My Judo sesei let me used it in Judo on a trial basis but, once he saw that I wanted to stick with it, he told me I had to get a white gi because it's more traditional and because a lot of traditional places don't let anyone except competitors wear blue gis in training. So I ordered a white gi after all, which was delivered yesterday, but yesterday evening my sensei told me I'd be competing in a few weeks . . . so I told him (jokingly) "So does that mean that I'm a competitor now and that I can wear my blue gi in training?" ;)

So I called the USJF and they had some spare Mitsuboshi's in stock. So I got the one step down from the top of the line model (410) because it was double weave but not as think. Think the Elite to the Champion but Japanese so nice and soft (I would think). The weight is actually less than the elite supposedly.

Ill do a review comparing the Fuji vs the Fujitaka (the name of the Mitsuboshi judo gis) after I wear it for a bit.

Hatashita sports AND Kodokan gear were recomending a Shiai Comp. I think this will be better for only $35 more. Its Japanese high end so Im sure it will be better. The only thing better would have been splitting the sizes since Im a fat ass which the USJF wasnt willing to do since once they sell this their inventory is gone.

I should get it monday or tuesday.

Thanks for everyones help.

Most of the guys at my club are in singles, KI to be exact.

So I called the USJF and they had some spare Mitsuboshi's in stock. So I got the one step down from the top of the line model (410) because it was double weave but not as think. Think the Elite to the Champion but Japanese so nice and soft (I would think). The weight is actually less than the elite supposedly.

Ill do a review comparing the Fuji vs the Fujitaka (the name of the Mitsuboshi judo gis) after I wear it for a bit.

Hatashita sports AND Kodokan gear were recomending a Shiai Comp. I think this will be better for only $35 more. Its Japanese high end so Im sure it will be better. The only thing better would have been splitting the sizes since Im a fat ass which the USJF wasnt willing to do since once they sell this their inventory is gone.

I should get it monday or tuesday.

Thanks for everyones help.
Dude, nice! Mitsuboshi's are great gi's!
Also, you'll be happy you didn't go for the Shiai -- it's not exactly a "thin" gi, plus its dense weave leads to lots of complaints about overheating. It's kind of a jack of all trades, master of none sort of gi LOL.

Most of the guys at my club are in singles, KI to be exact.
The pants are terrible on those, plus the cut is weird. The weave is not too bad though.

Dude, nice! Mitsuboshi's are great gi's!
Also, you'll be happy you didn't go for the Shiai -- it's not exactly a "thin" gi, plus its dense weave leads to lots of complaints about overheating. It's kind of a jack of all trades, master of none sort of gi LOL.

The pants are terrible on those, plus the cut is weird. The weave is not too bad though.

Yeah thanks for all your help. Man Im eating like a pig over the weekend. I gotta stop this! LMAO!

Mitsuboshi isnt as well known as Kusakura or Mizuno but Ive been hearing they are right up there with em from guys on E-Judo. They also have a much more extensive range that is still made in Japan. Yeah Mizuno has all sorts of gi's but only the very top ones are made in Japan. Only the lowest end blue gi is made elsewhere with Mitsuboshi.

The Lady at the USJF was stupid helpful whereas Vinh didnt answer an email I told him on the phone I would send him and Hatashita was merely adequate. I tried Judogi.com and Im glad I didnt order on line as I found they arent worth a poop from some posts. This pushed me over the edge for the Mitsu.

Alright Japanese glorified fight-robe here I come! I hope this thing lives up to the hype. Thanks again HK!

Yeah thanks for all your help. Man Im eating like a pig over the weekend. I gotta stop this! LMAO!

Mitsuboshi isnt as well known as Kusakura or Mizuno but Ive been hearing they are right up there with em from guys on E-Judo. They also have a much more extensive range that is still made in Japan. Yeah Mizuno has all sorts of gi's but only the very top ones are made in Japan. Only the lowest end blue gi is made elsewhere with Mitsuboshi.

The Lady at the USJF was stupid helpful whereas Vinh didnt answer an email I told him on the phone I would send him and Hatashita was merely adequate. I tried Judogi.com and Im glad I didnt order on line as I found they arent worth a poop from some posts. This pushed me over the edge for the Mitsu.

Alright Japanese glorified fight-robe here I come! I hope this thing lives up to the hype. Thanks again HK!

Huh, sucks to hear that Vinh wasn't much help. I actually used to train with him for a few years! Good to know that the USJF sales rep is helpful though, I'll keep that in mind next time I need a new judogi! :D

And for sure, KShaft, you're very welcome! Glad to have been of service!

Consider getting an Isami double weave BJJ gi. It's a light double weave, no patches (not even a logo on the biceps) except a small tag on the lapel, you can get the skirt in a diamond pattern, very sturdy, and it fits half-way between a Judo and BJJ gi and while pass the gi inspection at both Judo and BJJ tournaments. I bought the jacket/uwagi on its own for $100 and I use it primarily for Judo - I'd say it's on a par with the Mizuno Yusho (which I also own) while being lighter.

$T2eC16J,!zQE9s3sr!YLBQuH,vZw4Q~~60_3.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsuboshi-JAPAN-Judo-gi-wear-Topps-Pants-Belt-Obi-SET-/321033343974?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item4abf1413e6

Probably just a generic photo

Back