Bottom or Top Game

OldTimey

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I'm about 8 or 9 months into training, and I've only been focusing on survival. I was wondering when people start to feel more comfortable fighting from the top vs. the bottom.

Also, does one favor smaller people vs. larger and stronger? I'd love to hear some stories.

Thanks!

I'm mainly a bottom player if I say so myself. I have rather good takedowns because I did 4 years of Judo, but I just feel better for some reason when I am in bottom guard.

It took me a while to get used to top position as I am a bad guard passer if I say so myself. Took me a few months to get the hang of top position, but bottom is always my strong point.

Everything favors the larger guy. Size is an advantage. But if you're against a bigger guy, you want to be on top, where you're not carrying his weight.

Smaller people also have a speed advantage though.

Yeah, but size matters more. That's why it's always the heavyweights who win the absolutes. No one lower than HW has ever won the absolute division at BB in the Mundials.

Tell us more about your situation, like always the situation changes everything.
1. Does your coach teach you technique-series based on the opponents reactions? If this is the case I would just focus on his instructions.
2. Does he teach you single techniques and wants you to put them in to a game? If so I would go over this question with him as well.
3. He is not a world-class BJJ practicioner? Then there are great resources online from the absolute best in the world that will create your game for you.

We do a lot of reaction situation training. I am just asking because some of the blue belts are always talking about improving their top or bottom game. I am still new, so I just try to survive and take whatever I can get. I do feel better while on top, but that could be due to a lack of bottom knowledge.

Yeah, but size matters more. That's why it's always the heavyweights who win the absolutes. No one lower than HW has ever won the absolute division at BB in the Mundials.

Jacare won it fighting at Middle Heavy. I think he's the lightest person to do so.

If you're a Heavyweight it's probably best to focus on top game and Judo/wrestling, using the guard mainly to sweep or stand. Generally, the guy on bottom gets passed and crushed but you still need a guard for when you do get taken down or swept/reversed.

I'm a Super-Heavyweight (98kg) and find training a 3:2 ratio of BJJ + Judo and wrestling to be a good mix. I train 6 BJJ classes a week, 3 Judo classes and 1 wrestling class.

We do a lot of reaction situation training. I am just asking because some of the blue belts are always talking about improving their top or bottom game. I am still new, so I just try to survive and take whatever I can get. I do feel better while on top, but that could be due to a lack of bottom knowledge.

Just work on your weaknesses. Don't worry about aspects of your "game." I didn't have a "game" until I was a purple belt.

Back