Bottom game: always be offensive and aggressive

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by OldTimey, Jan 5, 2015.

1. OldTimey

OldTimey Orange Belt

Still developing my half guard game. I finally had two back to back close rolls with two upper belts. The key phrase that I took away from both:"you're a lot more aggressive. I couldn't get comfortable".

I'm not sure if it's me finally relaxing, the muscle memory kicking in,or just my attitude, but spamming controlled attacks from the bottom really helped.
    And just generally pushing the pace made my game better.

For most bottom guards, is aggression and constant attacking/sweeping the way to go?

2. Aesopian

Aesopian Brown Belt

Sounds like you're finding your rhythm as a power bottom.

3. ijustwannasurf

ijustwannasurf Brown Belt

[​IMG]

In all seriousness, you are on the right track. Not being lazy from guard is key.

4. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

Yes. Don't be crazy, but don't ever let the passer rest. Always try to improve your position. Guys get lazy in guard when they can stop the pass (spider guard aficionados are often especially guilty of this), but to have a dangerous guard you should pretty much always be attacking.

5. OldTimey

OldTimey Orange Belt

Ahahahahahha took me two years to figure this out Ahahahaha

*sighs

6. the heed

the heed Look at the size of that boy's heed.

it takes people about that, maybe shorter if they are training a lot to figure what how to play certain guards at a proficient level.

I feel comfortable in half, as its my go to but it took me awhile to get to this point. You are doing the right thing, no need to sigh :)

7. mysticdragonbjj

mysticdragonbjj Blue Belt

Agreed. You have higher belts giving you constructive feedback.

8. dmwalking

dmwalking Sapateiro Belt

lmao. 10/10

9. dmwalking

dmwalking Sapateiro Belt

I recall a blog where someone described their rolls with Marcelo and said this was Marcelo's philosophy. To paraphrase, "When you're on bottom, you never stop moving. Only slow down when you're on top."

10. nefti

nefti Red Belt

I would say that you need to be assertive with your intent, it could be defending or attacking but be assertive in whatever position you are in.

11. Russky

Russky Green Belt

If you do that without learning technique first it is called spazzing. Otherwise yes, sweep the guy and submit him right away. ;)

12. GFG

GFG Green Belt

i'm a guard player for sure and all i do is get my grips, continually break and rebreak posture, and keep the pressure of a sweep, or a submission. that way the guy in my guard has a hard time starting to set up his pass and is constantly on the defensive. however i should also be threatening to get out of my own gaurd and jump on a front head lock but i'm too lazy of a jitz player to play that game even though that pressure of trying to pushaway and get top 1/4 would totally set-up my sweeps and submissions and make those 2 even easier to finish, i just don't play that part of the guard game enough.

the key to spamming attacks from bottom is to make sure you have the pressure/commitment to follow up on on each attack. i had a training partner that would spam attacks but after a few rolls i realized that his first attack was a fake to set-up the second and i would just ignore the first as he wouldn't have the pressure or commitment to finish the first attack as he was to focused on it just being a set-up and hoping i would fall for his bait and defend the first attack. not taking the bait really threw him of his game for a while.

13. Dirty Holt

Dirty Holt Black Belt Professional Fighter

Attacking, offense, and constant movement are three separate things, not interchangeable attributes.

from bottom, if you are constantly moving, and never putting forward any attack, you are wasting your energy and time.

If you are always attacking but none of it is real offense, you are opening yourself up big time.
    Being on bottom in sport bjj, you have a lot of allowances that the top man does not get. You have a lot of advantages that the top man doesnt have either. This is why you do not always need to be constantly attacking or offensive, because you can throw out counter offense or quick offensive moves such as triangles and armbars that can instantly win the match.

This does not mean lay around and stall on bottom; rather, on bottom, you have a lot more match ending counter attacks and offensive moves than the top guy does.