Both Khabilov & Nurmagomedov need to improve the striking to get title shot relevant

The biggest is Khabib has a better timing and is quicker. It makes a lot of difference.

Agreed 100%. Benson is the ultimate gatekeeper. If you can't beat him then get the fuck out of the title picture.

I hope Khabib winds up having to work his way up to get another shot at Bendo.. much less the title, because he gets by solely on style and clearly doesn't have many ways to beat elite competition.

Gil couldn't beat Melendez, yet he's getting the first shot at the title.

I think you just want Khabib to fight Benson first because Benson is more well rounded than Pettis while wrestling is Pettis' kryptonite.

Agreed 100%. Benson is the ultimate gatekeeper. If you can't beat him then get the fuck out of the title picture.

I hope Khabib winds up having to work his way up to get another shot at Bendo.. much less the title, because he gets by solely on style and clearly doesn't have many ways to beat elite competition.

so... no one should be in the title picture, since he has only lost to the champion.

Nurmy is title relevant right now. There is a reason why you hear the rumors that guys dont want to fight him.

I dont think it is the wrestlers that will give him trouble. It will be the elite strikers who have above average grappling skills. I think Pettis is such an interesting match up for him.

Well, I do not consider Ben, Gil and Thompson as wrestlers. I consider them as really complete MMA fighters who have wrestling pedigrees, have very good MMA wrestling too and are excellent strikers.

Of course when it comes down to striking Pettis is on a whole different level. When it comes down to wrestling though, he's not as good as the guys above and a fighter like Nurmagomedov could give him hell imho. Cause you need to be bale to keep it standing in order to do anything with that striking. This is why I find Khabib chances of winning against Pettis better than his chances of beating say Gil or Thompson, who both have excellent striking too, but a wrestling that can keep it standing for most of the fight and this is what will make their striking advantage show.

I thought Khabilov's main problem was that he gassed. You could see that by the middle of the second round he wasn't the same fighter he was in the first. His striking was much slower and most noticeably he started getting worked a bit in the clinch. By the time Benson tagged him with the one two and then the choke, Rustam didn't have much left. I don't think his striking is great but it's not awful when he's not gassed.

Both Rustam and Khabib do not have any fluidity to their kickboxing. They really do have a couple of striking attacks and thats it. This is enough to crack the top 10 due to the fact that their grappling is so good.

Benson seemed pretty respected from Khabilov's GG. He threw almost no kicks, he was super patient with his punches, especially in the first round and half the second. But it is 5 rounds fight. Against dangerous opponent too. The feeling out process is important part, it was obvious he did not want to throw himself into a deep water immediately. But even the first round he was never put in a really bas spot. Seemed super calm and whatnot, waiting to weather the early storm.

Then, when it showed that Khabilov wont be able to keep Bendo down for long it was the time for his striking to show. To get some combinations in, to set up those TD's instead of rushing them. He did not control the distance well. Used almost no kicks...I dont know. He has hell of a lot more to improve in that area. And so do Khabib

The striking they both have will not be enough to beat the best in the division for now imo.

Gil couldn't beat Melendez, yet he's getting the first shot at the title.

I think you just want Khabib to fight Benson first because Benson is more well rounded than Pettis while wrestling is Pettis' kryptonite.

This exactly. Everyone knows Khabib ragdolls Pettis

This. How come everyone thinks that as soon as Pettis fights a good wrestler he loses?
His fight with Guida was like 3 years ago?

I do not think many people assume that. I believe however that if someone has the style to grapplefuck the champ, that would be Nurmagomedov who is even more relentless on the ground than Khabilov.

This is why I also assume guys with better wrestling pedigree than Pettis will have a bit easier time fighting Khabib or Rustam.

Not saying Pettis will automatically lose against them. Just a bad match up for him, thats it.

I do not think many people assume that. I believe however that if someone has the style to grapplefuck the champ, that would be Nurmagomedov who is even more relentless on the ground than Khabilov.

This is why I also assume guys with better wrestling pedigree than Pettis will have a bit easier time fighting Khabib or Rustam.

Not saying Pettis will automatically lose against them. Just a bad match up for him, thats it.

Bendo's wrestling and BJJ credentials are pretty high. He was submitted by Pettis in the first round. Pettis is also one of the greatest strikers in MMA. To say that you'd favor any LW against him is pretty ridiculous imo. Pettis can end a fight at any time, just ask Cerrone or Bendo. I am constantly amazed how under-rated Pettis is on here by some people just because he's been injured and hasn't fought 4 times a year.

khabilov isnt anywhere near khabib's level... khabib's wrestling is good enough to GSP anyone at 155

Back