Borroughs would son khabib in wrestling

tbh hed not have to be have u ever rolled with a wrestler with no bjj training? they usually get triangled or guillotined pretty fast due to leading with their head and ass straight up because what they do in wrestling groundwork contradicts what bjj ground work is all about

Tripoding with you ass up and leading with your head sounds like a pretty accurate description of how you should be passing guard.

He had 3 wins in 3 months in a row via triangle in his pre-ufc career. And another few via armbar if I'm not mistaken. Re-watch that Trujillo fight, by the end of the round he had a deadly triangle locked in, and Trujillo would've certainly tapped if he wasn't saved by the bell.
Yep, you right. I edited my comment to include that he did in fact almost choke the shit out of Trujillo.

There really is not. He's living off donations as explained here:

Chael obviously knows what he's talking about but I think he was slightly misrepresenting to bolster his position. Burroughs has multiple revenue streams and makes a lot of money. Jordan makes a great living off of:

-roughly 700k in career "Living the Dream Fund" earnings since 2011.
-A full-time coaching gig at a large division I school. Probably 80 to 100K a year
-Endorsements with Asics, having his own signature shoe, having a large social media following, etc. Gotta be worth at east 100k per year.
-Stipends from USA Wrestling. Not much, probably 1200 - 1500 a month.
-Support from his club and/or RTC. I believe Jordan is a member of Titan -Mercury WC which has a ton of money behind it.

There really is not. He's living off donations as explained here:

Lol at living on donations. You can make that claim for any big name college coach in any sport or any entertainer who uses Patreon.

He's worth over $5M

Lol

and Akgul/Petriashvili would 10-0 DC, Stipe and all the former wrestlers at HW. They just train in different sports.

Khabib doesn't really have a good takedown game for wrestling though. He could maybe do well in folkstyle, but he would get beaten up in freestyle.

As usual when youths start using words I don't understand, my trip to urban dictionary proved fruitful.

Son
Verb. Northeast slang shortened from "To make someone your son". To show someone up, to make them look stupid. To embarrass someone. If you juke by someone in football, you made them your son.
"Bring that shit again... I'm a son yo ass this time"

Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, I don't speak Douche Bag so it was a little unclear.

Honestly, I think if Burroughs got into MMA a few years ago, he would have given Khabib a run for his money. Even now, he would be a tougher fight than most who Khabib have fought in the UFC.
I agree with the first part - or at least he COULD have been a good MMA fight potentially...assuming he took well to striking and the submission game, and had a good chin (all three are big "ifs", particularly the last one - never really know until someone tries and ability in wrestling is no guarantee).

I don't think the second one would hold true though. It takes more than a few months to develop submission and striking skills to compete at a high level.

To be fair, are we going to forget someone like Yoshida came from Judo with barely any fights and almost beat Silva? Or how Brock became champion of the UFC, beating Couture, Herring, Mirr, etc?

Or, by the same token, how GSP, who never had any wrestling credentials, was able to outwrestle and beat guys like Hughes, Sherk and Kos in that turf?

Point being, it is not easy to say how the fight would go.

Tripoding with you ass up and leading with your head sounds like a pretty accurate description of how you should be passing guard.
yes if you know how to base properly and understand dangerzones

Lol at living on donations. You can make that claim for any big name college coach in any sport or any entertainer who uses Patreon.

He's worth over $5M

Is his salary guaranteed? College coaches have guaranteed contracts and are employees of the university.

To be fair, are we going to forget someone like Yoshida came from Judo with barely any fights and almost beat Silva? Or how Brock became champion of the UFC, beating Couture, Herring, Mirr, etc?

Or, by the same token, how GSP, who never had any wrestling credentials, was able to outwrestle and beat guys like Hughes, Sherk and Kos in that turf?

Great post man. It is something we cant forget. I think its considerably less likely nowadays, especially with Khabib, but an MMA "noob" doing well at the highest levels is not entirely unprecedented. Even a guy like Amir Sadolloh who is not one quarter the athlete Burroughs is was able to fight his entire pro career inside the UFC and do well despite having a minimal amateur run.

Look at Matt Hamill, the guy beat fighters with much more MMA experience because he was such a good wrestler and tough dude.

As for the GSP point, he is/was a freak. Eventually GSP amassed so much wrestling training at the highest levels that him outwrestling such good wrestlers wasn't all that surprising. But as far as I know, when he fought Karo, Hughes 1 (and possibly Hughes 2), Trigg, and Sherk, he had yet to really immerse himself in the really high level wrestling training that would come a bit later. I remember Trigg saying he couldn't believe how good GSP was and how strong he was in wrestling situations. And Trigg is no slouch, he was a legit Olympic contender for the 2000 games.

Oh the Khabib love is soooo cute. He’s the greatest wrestler in mma that has never faced another wrestler, lol. Where are all these great wrestlers he’s fought? The on t8me he went against someone he didn’t have a size advantage over and could actually sprawl he deserved to lose, (Tibau). Khabib is lucky he didn’t get a huge helping of his own medicine against GSP, let alone thinking he could hang with Burroughs.

I’d venture to say he wouldn’t even make it by Pico.

Oh the Khabib love is soooo cute. He’s the greatest wrestler in mma that has never faced another wrestler, lol. Where are all these great wrestlers he’s fought? The on t8me he went against someone he didn’t have a size advantage over and could actually sprawl he deserved to lose, (Tibau). Khabib is lucky he didn’t get a huge helping of his own medicine against GSP, let alone thinking he could hang with Burroughs.

He wouldn't even make it by Pico? You mean in wrestling? Pico should smoke Khabib in a freestyle match. Based on the overall sentiment of your post im surprised you gave Khabib so much credit as to say "he wouldn't even make it by Pico". I would've thought you would say something like "I'd venture to say he wouldn't even make it by...' someone with just good wrestling credentials. Someone like Justin Gaethje, Tony Ferguson, etc. Pico has convincing wins over senior world champs. If Khabib is even cose to that he's pretty incredible.

And that reminds me, someone needs to set up a wrestling event that does what they are currently doing in the grappling world. Have MMA fighters with strong wrestling take on active wrestlers in competition. They did something kinda like this a few years back at MSG but it was mostly MMA guys who wrestled taking on each other, ie Frankie Edgar vs Phillipe Nover, Gray Maynard vs Dennis Bermudez, etc.

How about Khabib vs a slightly out of his prime NCAA All American? GSP vs a similarly aged freestyle guy. Itd be awesome.

He wouldn't even make it by Pico? You mean in wrestling? Pico should smoke Khabib in a freestyle match. Based on the overall sentiment of your post im surprised you gave Khabib so much credit as to say "he wouldn't even make it by Pico". I would've thought you would say something like "I'd venture to say he wouldn't even make it by...' someone with just good wrestling credentials. Someone like Justin Gaethje, Tony Ferguson, etc. Pico has convincing wins over senior world champs. If Khabib is even cose to that he's pretty incredible.

I mean in both wrestling and mma. Pico is strange. He was considered a prodigy at the time he was competing in wrestling, but if you actually look at the data there have been far more outstanding junior and cadet aged wrestlers both during his time and after. Kyle Snyder was in that same batch, and look at everything he has accomplished. What about Gable, Yianni, Lee and Fix? These Guys have consistently gotten better while Pico got worse results every year pretty much. Maybe he wasn’t putting his all into wrestling’ don’t know and maybe I’m being harsh, but that is how I look at it.

Think Pico could take him in Mma as well.khabib can barely even punch, and it’s not like he is a knock out threat either. His big strength is wrestling which he has no advantage against Pico. Then there is the little mentioned fact that anytime Khabib has to fight past 3 rounds he slows down considerable and doesn’t react well to getting hit when he is touched. He just backs up with this dear in the headlights lookin his eyes and pathetically swats at punches like flies to no avail. He has plenty of holes in his game but noooooo, to the lay person who doesn’t know much and to the “experts” in the media he’s unbeatable. Give me a damn break....they make it sound like it’s rocket science to beat this guy when it isn’t. Sprawl the takedown, create space, strike his ears off.Mind you Pico’s chin is garbage, and he could certainly get clipped even with Khabib not being a Ko artist, but I wouldn’t be surprised if I heard Pico got the better of Khabib if they ever crossed paths while Aaron trained at AKA.

I’m glad that you mentioned that, because I have been thinking about that as well. It is really funny to me that with all these attempts to get a wrestling league started nobody has cashed in in the fact that many former wrestlers have star power from their new MMA careers.

Askren himself has tried to personal get leagues started and I think he could build one around himself and his new star power.

For instance, we know that Askren has expressed that he would want nothing more than to get his hands on Johnny Hendricks. You could start the first promotion with that headlining a stacked card featuring guys like Gregor or something. Could you imagine Pd3 versus Jones, lol??? You could center the next one around Askren vs Khabib and then build to Askren vs GSP since that’s the match Askren has always wanted but we know will probably never happen in MMA. I think Askren should make a go of it.

Back