Booze advice

Gringo23

Purple Belt
Reaction score
OK,

I have a weakness for beer.

The rest of my diet is fine. I dont compete, i train for fun. But i work long hours and need a few beers at the end of a day and its starting to take its toll on my gut.

Do any of you guys know what i could try and drink instead that doesnt taste like shit and has less empty calories?

We just cant get lite beers in the UK. I am thinking of switching to vodka but i have no idea of how fattening other drinks are in comparasson.

I know alot of you will just say dont drink, but my question is, what will have the least affect on my gut, but still be a enjoyable relaxing drink after a 14 hour day?

Any good advice will be greatly appreciated.

Probly none, alcohol makes you store bodyfat, i read somewhere that your body cant burn fat 24hrs after consuming it, one of the other reasons it makes you fat is because of what you eat when your drinking, your more likely to eat fatty foods, so you could try not eating when you drink. From my experience it doesn't matter how much cardio i do and how good my diet is, if i drink even once a weeks i put on fat like a preagnant bitch.

Reakt said:
Probly none, alcohol makes you store bodyfat, i read somewhere that your body cant burn fat 24hrs after consuming it, one of the other reasons it makes you fat is because of what you eat when your drinking, your more likely to eat fatty foods, so you could try not eating when you drink. From my experience it doesn't matter how much cardio i do and how good my diet is, if i drink even once a weeks i put on fat like a preagnant bitch.

Damn, i hope thats not the case.

My friend works the doors and is in his mid thirties, i drink with him regularly and always rip him for drinking cider instead of beer. But his reply is always "you've never heard of a cider belly have ya!"

And, he works out less and is in better shape but drinks nearly as much. I am not a naturally big bloke, but i am getting a gut, and theres nothing worse than a skinny bloke with a pregnent beer belly.

Gringo23 said:
OK,

The rest of my diet is fine. I dont compete, i train for fun. But i work long hours and need a few beers at the end of a day and its starting to take its toll on my gut.

Do any of you guys know what i could try and drink instead that doesnt taste like shit and has less empty calories?

We just cant get lite beers in the UK. I am thinking of switching to vodka but i have no idea of how fattening other drinks are in comparasson.

I know alot of you will just say dont drink, but my question is, what will have the least affect on my gut, but still be a enjoyable relaxing drink after a 14 hour day?

Any good advice will be greatly appreciated.

1-2 craft brews a day with dinner is actually a health food, but as a fighter, you have to watch those calories.

shadup and drink your beer. IMO, If you feel fat, train more.

White rum is calorie free, isn't it? If you have diet coke and clear Bacardi's, I think you get no calories, but I don't drink, so check this, don't take it as gospel.

Tommy Seoul said:
White rum is calorie free, isn't it? If you have diet coke and clear Bacardi's, I think you get no calories, but I don't drink, so check this, don't take it as gospel.

What your thinking about is no Carbs. Most Clear Rums, Vodka, etc have no carbs but all of them have calories. Alchohol has 7 calories per gram, so there are no calorie free liquors.

But I would still suggest going with rum & diet coke or some other variation of liquor and diet soda. And like Reakt said watch you don't eat more when your drinking or that could be your problem.

Clint07 said:
What your thinking about is no Carbs. Most Clear Rums, Vodka, etc have no carbs but all of them have calories. Alchohol has 7 calories per gram, so there are no calorie free liquors.

But I would still suggest going with rum & diet coke or some other variation of liquor and diet soda. And like Reakt said watch you don't eat more when your drinking or that could be your problem.

That's right. Sorry for bad info, thanks for the correction.

Gringo23 said:
OK,

I used to drink one a day before dinner, to wind down after work, sometimes while cooking the food. I cut it out about 8 months ago and rarely drink it now (only on special occasions) since I felt it was like drinking empty carbs, like sugar water (soda). But I even used to brew my own (fun work!).

One home brewer mentioned online somewhere that he was able to completely lose his beer gut, even though he drank 3-4 pints a night of his homebrew. He just completely cut out dinner, and only ate his regular breakfast and lunch. Drinking his fine homebrew was more important to him. That could work, and it worked for him, but I doubt it is a good plan for someone training for a sport or health seriously, as you don't get protein for like a 15 hour or more period!

If you really want to keep drinking it regularly, just factor in the extra carbs/calories, and take those out of your intake in food, or really increase the cardio.

Tommy Seoul said:

That Bacardi commercial is bad, it pisses me off.

They figure that 99% of the people that watch that commercial will come away thinking that if they drink Bacardi and diet coke, that is "a zero-calorie drink." Even though they only mention CARBS.

What a crock.

just remember that alcohal is a refined shugar or quick absorbing carb if you like.

Grady said:
That Bacardi commercial is bad, it pisses me off.

They figure that 99% of the people that watch that commercial will come away thinking that if they drink Bacardi and diet coke, that is "a zero-calorie drink." Even though they only mention CARBS.

What a crock.

Yeah, like I said I don't drink, so I really wasn't listening too closely. If it were something I was going to do myself I would have paid better attention.

I for one had many friends who were heavy drinkers, some of them had the gut, some not.
I think the gut effect comes from the ferment in beer, not the calories...
Otherwise how do you explain the difference between beer and vodka for example ?

mate you don't want to hit the spirits after graft. It will fuck you up. Bas admitted to having a beer at nights it did him no harm. Maybe have one night on, one night off, or just drink at the weekends.

I don't care if I had to do an extra 2 miles daily, it's a small price to pay for that brown bottled elixir of youth!

Thanks for the advice guys!

I will drink all i can for xmas and then cut out the weekday lagers in the new year.

Will look into the white rum thing. Although i am sure it cant beat a good beer.

Anyways, thanks for the positive response!

Grady said:
That could work, and it worked for him, but I doubt it is a good plan for someone training for a sport or health seriously, as you don't get protein for like a 15 hour or more period!

Well, he did say he is from the UK, so he can just crack a raw egg into his Newcastle.

I managed a bar briefly while overseas and I developed somewhat of a "problem" during that time. I started out drinking beer (John Smith's, Boddingtons, Tetley's) but I drank them too fast and I'd always feel like death in the morning. Then I switched to mixed drinks, but I go the same result. I spent a month or so on a wine binge but I got to the point where I'd put away 1 to 2 bottlse a night and I had to hang that up too. Finally I became a Scotch man (single malt, fuck that blended crap). Scotch on the rocks is about the only thing I drink slow. I still drink beer, but it's usually only one or two and it's either Bass or Guinness. If you're drinking too much, switch to something that isn't so chug friendly.

A casual drink shouldn't screw your diet up, but if you're binging, expect to see side effects. If you like your beer that much, you can either deal with the belly, or step up your workouts. Don't give up drinking for the sake of your ab definition though. Drinking is the best part of being a guy...that and the inability to get pregnant. Good luck

Back