Books?

the renzo and royler book is good for basics

Mastering jujitsu by renzo Gracie and John danaher. Explains the philosophy and reasoning of bjj better than any other book I've seen.

Another vote for the Saulo book!

Only book I still have to flick through every now and then.

Well, that and Mastering the Rubber Guard and Mastering the Twister. ^_-

Take care,

Oli

Read the FAQ. Is there any mods on this forum? This same question is asked once a month, and instead of directing the TS to the FAQ and locking the thread, everyone just responds the exact same answer. The grappling community is too nice.

16. What books can get me started on learning BJJ?

For BJJ: Saulo Ribeiro's "Encyclopedia of Jiu Jitsu" is probably the best general book. On specific topics, "The Guard," "Passing the Guard," and "Strategic Guard" by Ed Benneville are all excellent. So is Rodrigo Gracie's "The Path to Black Belt" and Kid Peligro's "Essential Guard."

Read the FAQ. Is there any mods on this forum? This same question is asked once a month, and instead of directing the TS to the FAQ and locking the thread, everyone just responds the exact same answer. The grappling community is too nice.

For BJJ: Saulo Ribeiro's "Encyclopedia of Jiu Jitsu" is probably the best general book. On specific topics, "The Guard," "Passing the Guard," and "Strategic Guard" by Ed Benneville are all excellent. So is Rodrigo Gracie's "The Path to Black Belt" and Kid Peligro's "Essential Guard."

...there's a FAQ? ^_-

Take care,

Oli

P.S. Would be happy to assist in modding on here, if anyone wanted. Doubt I'd be here all the time, but since this is the only forum I post in, might be better than a general one who's not here all the time? Probably shouldn't just offer, but hey. Throwing it out there. ^_-

if we didn't talk about the same shit all the time there would be like 2 new threads a day.

ok, some of us like to goof around at work.

if we didn't talk about the same shit all the time there would be like 2 new threads a day.

ok, some of us like to goof around at work.

Or maybe there would be some useful and intelligent discussion?

Oli, you have my vote for mod if you explain your views on global warming and abortion, and how the grappling forum is affected by these issues.

Also we should rename moderators as dictators, as this is a better definition of the work they do. And then instead of calling them mods for short, we can call them dics, another more specific definition.

Vote for Oli as a mod.

Best books:

JiuJitsu University
The Guard, Passing the Guard and Strategic Guard
The Essential Guard
Mastering JuJitsu

Get on Mr. Menstrual there.

Or maybe there would be some useful and intelligent discussion?

Oli, you have my vote for mod if you explain your views on global warming and abortion, and how the grappling forum is affected by these issues.

Also we should rename moderators as dictators, as this is a better definition of the work they do. And then instead of calling them mods for short, we can call them dics, another more specific definition.

um,

ok,

this is a grappling forum.

so you would rather have people sift through pages of ancient threads to find shit on commonly discussed grappling topics so we can discuss global warming.

global warming is like war room MB not grappling. maybe you should go there to have intellectual discussions.

there is nothing wrong with the hundred of gi vs nogi and will bravo get a red belt and i just got my blue belt and what video is best for a beginner and what bjj books are good.
-these are intelligent discussions as far as grappling is concerned.

now threads like "i went to first class today and instructor heel hooked me and ripped my legs apart and then put some Grey Poupon on and ate them" are just BS troll threads and those can go.

or if you see a thread title something like "bjj books" just don't fucking open it.

Back