Books / articles for novices

bowlie

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I get very annoyed by the lack of understanding so many people, in the traditional martial arts especially, have about strength and conditioning. Does anyone know of a really great book that explains the basics of things like why strength training is important for power and what constitutes getting stronger? So much S&C stuff is oriented towards power lifters, and that puts people off because they instantly think 'i dont want to get slow and bulky, duh'.

Why do you get annoyed by people not understanding things you obviously don't understand yourself?

Just get stronger than them and beat them up? I face the same thing with my training partners and the athletes I work with in other sports, but if you can't explain it yourself, don't expect people to read an article or book you point them too.

Bill Starr's Strongest Shall Survive was about lifting for football training.

Why do you get annoyed by people not understanding things you obviously don't understand yourself?

Why would you say that? Just to clarify, the powerlifter comment was what they say, not me.

Just get stronger than them and beat them up? I face the same thing with my training partners and the athletes I work with in other sports, but if you can't explain it yourself, don't expect people to read an article or book you point them too.

Bill Starr's Strongest Shall Survive was about lifting for football training.

Because I like to see people improve as athletes and if I can help them get it out of their head that strength training means sets of 50 pushups then thats all the better.

You could be like:
"Hello, my dear sir! I see you have some misconceptions about S&C for combat athletes. I would kindly invite you to read up on Sherdogs S&C forums FAQ for it is quite marvelous read."

Back