Book Review: Strong Enough by Mark Rippetoe

S

stewy37

Most of us are familiar with Mark Rippetoe's excellent books Starting Strength and Practical Programming. Strong Enough: Thoughts from Thirty Years of Barbell Training is a different format and focus than the others. While SS focuses on proper performance of a few key lifts in great detail and PP focuses on program design (hence the title of that particular work), Strong Enough is a more general view of strength training.

It's a colection of various essays covering a wide range of topics. The first few chapters are each devotes about 10 pages to a different lift, squat, deadlift, bench, etc. It's sort of like a condensed version of SS. From there, the chapters cover a variety topics such as equipment, biomechanics, older lifters, living life, and my favorite chapter Silly Bullshit.

The book is full of Mark's humor, and you can't help but chuckle as you read. Each chapter is relatively short and stands alone, so it's a book that you can pick up here and there and read for a few minutes. Even though I've read certain passages several times, I pick up something each time I read them.

Overall, I have to reccomend this book. It's pretty cheap (I think I paid $11, list price is $15), and it's a worthy addition to any lifter's library. I've had it for a few months and find myself picking it up frequently.

i never knew this existed. ill have to see if i can pick this up along with the dave tate book.

I love this book and have recommended it to every lifter I know

Back