Bones' boxing seems very poor. Seems very Brockish.

I know its the heavies so i cant expect much from you guys. But if you want to have a discussion at least do it intelligently. Someone landing head kicks and flashy spin elbows and in many cases the bigger shots in the midst of a stand up battle is not lesnarish in the slightest you dope

You're calling people names because you don't even understand the thread and you're claiming it's other posters who make the heavies bad?

This thread isn't about "kicks" or "elbows", as I stated in my original post.
It's about Jones' poor boxing skills and his obvious inability to deal with getting punched in those exchanges.

Very Brockish.

Based on this performance, I feel even more confident in giving Daniel Cormier a real chance to beat Jones. Though Cormier is shorter than Gustafsson, he is the better wrestler, he is comparably fast and he has shown himself more willing and able to jab his way in against fighters and move them back. Glover could pose some problems, as well, but I question whether he has the craft or speed to do the job (unlike Cormier or Gustafsson, he has never showcased a serviceable jab).

I don't think Cormier or Glover have the length to catch Jones, pressure or no pressure. Jones' head movement looked sharp against Gus, when he actually used it.

Too much time getting owned at EA MMA, not enough time reading.
The thread is about Jones' boxing.

Sorry, I made the mistake of thinking we were talking about the sport they compete in. I've noticed jones jump shot is a lot like Matt Mittrione's.

I never got owned at EA MMA. I was the best eva' get your facts straight.

We are forgetting that Bones is fundamentally a grappler...just remember how many fights he has finished from ground.

Vitor, Sonnen, Bader, Hamill, Matyushenko....

He did very well considering vs The Mauler was basically a kickboxing match.

I don't think Cormier or Glover have the length to catch Jones, pressure or no pressure. Jones' head movement looked sharp against Gus, when he actually used it.

I question Glover because he's slow and he doesn't jab much, if at all. Based on what we saw against Gustafsson, I don't think that Jones is great defensively when his opponent is in the pocket. That's not to say that he is poor defensively altogether, because against many of his opponents, he can make it near impossible for them to get inside, but for those that can, I think that they can gave success. Cormier is fast and he understands the necessity of getting inside behind the jab. That coupled with the fact that he is one of the best wrestlers in MMA with a crazy base gives him as good a chance as anyone other that can make 205 (assuming Cormier does make 205).

You're calling people names because you don't even understand the thread and you're claiming it's other posters who make the heavies bad?

This thread isn't about "kicks" or "elbows", as I stated in my original post.
It's about Jones' poor boxing skills and his obvious inability to deal with getting punched in those exchanges.

Very Brockish.

Despite the fact youre trying to talk about his boxing you have still to consider the other striking arsenal he successfully unloaded during the fight. There is simply nothing brockish about withstanding the onslaught of a more experienced striker for 5 rounds, nearly finishing him and pulling off high level moves. Brock could have done none of these

Your description of what occurred is simply incredibly crude and incredibly ridiculous

Now let me suggest something just a tad bit crazy. perhaaaaaaaaaps if you studied boxing thoroughly you would be able to describe the deficiencies in jones boxing instead of resorting to poor attempts an analyzing a fighters output like so many of the other knuckle heads here.

A big part of Jon's struggles against Gustafsson were seen simply in the way that Alex fought. Alex was probably the first opponent that actually made an effort to consistently back Jon up. Gustafsson certainly doesn't have a great jab, but the mere fact that he was willing to use it and the fact that he is generally quite fast allowed him to get inside far more than any of Jones' other opponents. Out of Bader, Rampage, Vitor, Machida, Rashad, Shogun and Sonnen, only Shogun, Sonnen and Rampage ever really put a lot of effort into pressuring Jones and backing him. Shogun and Sonnen came forward and were immediately nullified and outgrappled and Rampage, who has never really been all that comfortable coming forward and taking the lead, was simply too slow and easily deterred. When opponents try to fight on the outside off of the backfoot, Jones is at his most comfortable. He thrives walking opponents down and keeping them at range with his great array of kicks.

It is part of what makes Jones such a difficult matchup. You have to back him up to have real success, but in pressuring him, you risk getting taken down and subjecting yourself to Jones' top game. When Jones is forced onto the backfoot, his lack of true deterrents at closer range becomes evident. He lacks a strong jab and his other punches don't have a great deal of power on them. Jon also stands quite squared up which makes him a relatively open target and he generally looks uncomfortable with being put in this position. Despite all this, he is one of the few fighters in MMA that has made a solid use of standing elbows and these formidable weapons ended up turning the fight for him. He is a very versatile and clever fighter, but like almost any other fighter in history, he still has weaknesses. Gustafsson's ability to stop the takedown (which only a small amount of fighters LHW or HW will be able to duplicate), coupled with the fact that he has fast, heavy hands and that he realized he would have to jab his way in and back Jones up in order to have success, led to Jones almost losing. Still, his fight IQ, toughness and versatility carried him through. That's impressive.

Based on this performance, I feel even more confident in giving Daniel Cormier a real chance to beat Jones. Though Cormier is shorter than Gustafsson, he is the better wrestler, he is comparably fast and he has shown himself more willing and able to jab his way in against fighters and move them back. Glover could pose some problems, as well, but I question whether he has the craft or speed to do the job (unlike Cormier or Gustafsson, he has never showcased a serviceable jab).

Good post.

boxing is NOT jones' strong suit, but he has really spectacular kicks that he mixes it up with

it is Gus' strong suit, though

His boxing needs work but his overall striking is very good

His kicks were very effective for him. Gus lost that fight for two reasons: he did nothing to check/block/counter Jones' kicks and he gassed hard in the final two rounds (some of which was due to that elbow).

Its not that good.....and people were saying that Jones is the best striker at LHW

Its not that good.....and people were saying that Jones is the best striker at LHW

Well, he got the better of Machida on the feet and he fought on at least even terms with Gustafsson on the feet. He is certainly in the conversation.

And still ate every last punch with ease, almost finished your hero, and still beat your hero while he was injured with a broken toe.

Just wait til the rematch. Its going to look like Shogun-Machida 2 :).

So maybe boxing is overrated. Maybe knees and elbows and kicks and stuff that's illegal in boxing are more important.

You're incorrect. He has a few well developed and technical moves, but those are limited. Even rudimentary perhaps. Jones uses them well, together with elbows, knees, kicks and all the spinning stuff. Of course, against someone with developed boxing skills like Gus he looked overmatched in pure boxing department, but overall striking was a different matter.

Different fighter, different skillset, different training focus. That's why MMA is so great.

Just wait til the rematch. Its going to look like Shogun-Machida 2 :).

even though gus hasnt kod someone in years and jones chin seems to be excellent.

Keep dreaming

and he stood toe to toe with a fighter who many here were claiming was some boxing phenom and had him in trouble numerous times, But yeah very brockish alright:eek:

He had him in trouble once, for about 10 seconds. What fight were you watching?

I dont think people understand how challenging boxing is. Brock had to be 30 when he started training for mma. Jones is still a bit younger but I believe Gus has been boxing since his teens.

These guys are pro fighters, but there's a reason there are very few experts on the planet at the "sweet science"

Back