Bones' boxing seems very poor. Seems very Brockish.

ive been saying glover will knockout jones if he can stop the takedown, hope we get to see it now

I must have totally missed the part where Jones was ko'd from all the blows to the head he took

Were you not watching the fight? He ate all sorts of shots to the head. It's a credit to him that he wasn't Ko'd or ever in serious trouble. But don't act like what was essentially a jab to the leg is the same thing as power shots to the head.

And Jones landed 50% of his power strikes to Gus' head

LOL, according to who? fightmetric? I bet you don't even get why that was a stupid thing to say, and that's pretty funny...

Its a damn shame people get so caught up in fighter biased and don't actually just watch this as a sport, an athletic competition.

Who is doing that? you? Because I certianly am not. In what way am I biased? I like Jon Jones, I went to college with him. You simply appear to be swinging from his bag.

MMA fans sound more like pro wrestling fans when they blindly hate on someone. "Man that guy sucks! He's a big doodie head! Did you hear what he said about so and so? Man eff that! He can't even do this one more right! All he does is this!"

Can you read? Then please go ahead and point out where I said anything like this. I'll wait.

His boxing is fucking terrible. If it was a pure boxing match Gus would have murdered him. Too bad this is MMA where Elbows are allowed and that is by far Jon's best strike. Without the elbows Jones would be a boring fighter.

His boxing isn't terrible, but his defense isn't all that good. He really needs to learn better head movement, and how to work more efficenlty off of his jab. He hit Gustaffson with some nice crisp jabs at points in the fight, and then just stood there. Doubling them up and working off of them would have paid huge dividends in this fight, but it will come with time. People forget the dude has only really been striking for about 5 years. You can't expect him to look like Floyd Mayweather, especially agianst a guy who got into the UFC based purely on his boxing ability.

He definitely doesn't like to get hit. Honestly it was VERY reminiscent of Brock Lensar literally running away from punches.

He definitely doesn't like to get hit. Honestly it was VERY reminiscent of Brock Lensar literally running away from punches.

That whole "He doesn't like to get hit" garbage is absurd. Nobody likes to get hit. There were a few times late in the fight where Gustaffsson turned his back to Jones and ran to the center of the cage. Is he scared to get hit

Jones basically doesn't react well at the thought of getting hit.

Usually he doesn't need to worry about it though due to his reach, evasiveness and offensive pressure.

His jab is non-existent as he just paws at people with open fists and has to be reminded by good refs like Big John McCarthy to close them. Eye pokes from Jon Jones are a staple of his standup game.

At one point, Bones looked like a bar brawler swinging wildly and missing by like 5ft. This was also due to Gusstaffson's footwork but Bones just looked frustrated and outclassed.

Bones also lacks punching power.
Before anybody mentions elbows - I said boxing.

Jones and Lesnar seem very similar in the fact they both close their eyes, duck into their shoulders and wince whenever there is an exchange.

It's no mystery Jones' punching is the weakest aspect of his game. Don't mistake Jones having a poor punching game for having a poor stand up game. He did to Hammil exactly what Gus did to him. Kept his feet moving and didn't allow the other to get set. Also, although he's not using the jab in the sense of prodding, measuring, and disrupting his opponent... he landed about 5 solid, head-rocking jabs in that fight. More than Gus. Jones does not work a counter-punch game, so he is airborn and off his feet by the time Gus is striking. With no feet on the ground all he can do is swat punches and wince.

Jon started using his jab in the 4th pretty well, actually slowed Gus down a little bit from charging in.

That being said his kicks are good, his punching is the problem. Defensively he has a solid stance but offensively its meh.

Gus has the best boxing at LHW and is far superior to Jones, but that doesn't mean Bones' boxing is bad - just not nearly as good as Gus. But then again nobody else is as good as Gus either

He's got alot of work to do in that dept. But honestly given his size its not that necessary. Only person he's gotta worry about is Alex

This right here is why there is a divide on who won , an why jones haters boil especially after Gus fight.

Labelling him a GOAT is bullshit when he just got his wrestling credentials stuffed by a boxer , and his improved striking game for Gus was almost useless until the end of the fourth .

If other LHW were close in stature he'd be a regular champ at best with flaws and a weakness. As we seen.

He was labeled a phenom and super talented for so long when it was just his reach.

Considering how he's outstruck great strikers and even great boxers, can you imagine if he actually learned how to use his jab like GSPs?

Even that one basic trick (and a shitload of practice using it - I know it's not easy to get great at) he could redefine his fighting style.

I say he should train using his jab hardcore..... he already fights long better than anyone else, this could be the key to take it to the next level.

Jones doesn't react well to getting hit just because he is not used to it..
He got tagged more in round one than in his whole UFC career !

This right here is why there is a divide on who won , an why jones haters boil especially after Gus fight.

Labelling him a GOAT is bullshit when he just got his wrestling credentials stuffed by a boxer , and his improved striking game for Gus was almost useless until the end of the fourth .

If other LHW were close in stature he'd be a regular champ at best with flaws and a weakness. As we seen.

He was labeled a phenom and super talented for so long when it was just his reach.

Plenty of people have been saying his reach was his main asset from day one .

This reach + his general size/frame/weight + wrestling + strength leverage advantage ( in this order ) are what make him special.
He also has good kicks, but let's be real, he is nowhere near the #1 p4p when he barely lost the first fight against someone of comparable size.

Let him win at HW against some serious contenders then we can talk about p4p but until then it's just UFC hype.
He has a very good win list but most of them were MW sized on the decline former champs.
Yesterday against a young blood guy, of similare age/reach/height he certainly didn't look Uber-human.
He can thank God Gus doesn't have one shot KO power or it would have been over in the first ..

Where are the people now that were favoring him against the like of JDS ( lol ) or Cain ( big LOL ) at HW ?

please dont compare Jones boxing with lesnar, he doesnt fold soon as he gets hit. he fought hard to the bitter end. also, who gives a fuck? last time i checked this is not boxing! maybe jones' boxing isnt up to standard but his overall strking game is pretty good. THIS IS MMA.

His jab is non-existent as he just paws at people with open fists and has to be reminded by good refs like Big John McCarthy to close them. Eye pokes from Jon Jones are a staple of his standup game.

At one point, Bones looked like a bar brawler swinging wildly and missing by like 5ft. This was also due to Gusstaffson's footwork but Bones just looked frustrated and outclassed.

Bones also lacks punching power.
Before anybody mentions elbows - I said boxing.

Jones and Lesnar seem very similar in the fact they both close their eyes, duck into their shoulders and wince whenever there is an exchange.

Standing KO is going to be Jon Jones' undoing.

everything you say here was known prior to Saturday. and yet you waited until AFTER he had trouble a fighter to bring it up.

you would be taken more seriously if you'd post this before a fighter has trouble, not after.

posting before shows you understand fighting and have good fight analysis.

whereas posting this after is like refitting Nostradomus comments to justify something that just happened.

just one guys' perspective. cheers.

Back