Boned on used car. Update

I bought a 2006 Maxima back in the day with under 20k on it. By the time It had 40k on her, it was falling apart. I'll never buy another Nissan, they used to make good cars before they sold out though... The only economy company worse than Nissan would probably be Kia...

I think I lucked out. I've had three or four Nissans that I barely took care of and never had problems with any. I am loyal to them. Once I get a shitty one I'll change. They are just so damm cheap haha.

I think I have already proven you wrong itt. Shall we keep going?

7 states have lemon laws for used vehicles. I was wrong about that, and you were right.

Hopefully the op takes your piss poor advice and goes back to the dealer demanding what you were describing and gives us an update. It’ll be a learning experience for you on what not to do.

Only if you want to go out of your way to ignore context to win an argument. It was pretty clear contextually that he was saying there's no universal lemon law. And he's correct. Obviously different states have different laws on all kinds of things, but federally there's no such thing as a lemon law. Pretty disingenuous to say this one state over here does, when the original conversation wasn't specifically about that states laws.
And that's why I was asking the TS questions about how long he's had it, and where he's at, etc, because lemon laws are different depending on the state. Then @Trainspotter piped in saying there's no lemon laws on used cars, period. Even started name calling like a child, so he got proven wrong. So please explain what context I'm ignoring? Sounds to me like he's the one ignoring context, so maybe you should be directing your reply to him?

7 states have lemon laws for used vehicles. I was wrong about that, and you were right.

Hopefully the op takes your piss poor advice and goes back to the dealer demanding what you were describing and gives us an update. It’ll be a learning experience for you on what not to do.
Hopefully spouting off in ignorance will be a learning experience for you as well
<BC1>

And that's why I was asking the TS questions about how long he's had it, and where he's at, etc, because lemon laws are different depending on the state. Then @Trainspotter piped in saying there's no lemon laws on used cars, period. Even started name calling like a child, so he got proven wrong. So please explain what context I'm ignoring? Sounds to me like he's the one ignoring context, so maybe you should be directing your reply to him?
Like I said the context seemed pretty clear to myself and others that he was speaking about federal law. if you disagree that's fine. Not trying to start a fight or anything.

Hopefully spouting off in ignorance will be a learning experience for you as well
<BC1>

Not directed towards the other guy but the hell is with all the name calling on here. In the real world people don't have the balls to immediately insult someone politely making a point. But they sure do online. I'm not perfect but I try to act as similarly online as I would in person. I get trolling though. That's a different story.

Not directed towards the other guy but the hell is with all the name calling on here. In the real world people don't have the balls to immediately insult someone politely making a point. But they sure do online. I'm not perfect but I try to act as similarly online as I would in person. I get trolling though. That's a different story.
Same here but sherdog and the internet in general have never been like that. The mayberry used to be sort of an oasis, but as things in the real world have gotten more volatile and stressful the mood here has changed as well.

<BC1>

You’re really happy about that lemon law win huh? Good for you lol. I’m trying to help the guy by telling him to see if they offer an extended warranty. That’s his best bet.

If he takes your advice and tells them he’s invoking the lemon law all communication between himself and the dealer is over. From there it will be between his lawyer and theirs and that’s it. How much money for a lawyer do you think he has?

I shouldn’t have even replied but I deal with customers like yourself often, and it’s infuriating and hilarious at the same time. You people come in and tell me what I’m gonna do and when I’m gonna do it and it never works out like you think.

The look on your faces while you’re headed right back out the door you came in with no help and you’ve just pissed off the only person that could have provided it.

It’s so mind numbingly stupid but it happens over and over. Keep up with the funny gifs though bro, you win!

Such hit and miss with buying used - even when you do everything to make sure you're not buying a clunker that will die on you after a year or two.

You’re really happy about that lemon law win huh? Good for you lol. I’m trying to help the guy by telling him to see if they offer an extended warranty. That’s his best bet.

If he takes your advice and tells them he’s invoking the lemon law all communication between himself and the dealer is over. From there it will be between his lawyer and theirs and that’s it. How much money for a lawyer do you think he has?

I shouldn’t have even replied but I deal with customers like yourself often, and it’s infuriating and hilarious at the same time. You people come in and tell me what I’m gonna do and when I’m gonna do it and it never works out like you think.

The look on your faces while you’re headed right back out the door you came in with no help and you’ve just pissed off the only person that could have provided it.

It’s so mind numbingly stupid but it happens over and over. Keep up with the funny gifs though bro, you win!

Ergo, you're projecting. When an angry customer with a defective vehicle comes to you and invokes a lemon law, you push them out of the door out of spite instead of helping them. Wow, what a great guy you are. I'm sure it works great with low-income customers who have no recourse; not so great with well-educated customers who can hire a lawyer and know they have a claim. The former outnumber the latter.

Ergo, you're projecting. When an angry customer with a defective vehicle comes to you and invokes a lemon law, you push them out of the door out of spite instead of helping them. Wow, what a great guy you are. I'm sure it works great with low-income customers who have no recourse; not so great with well-educated customers who can hire a lawyer and know they have a claim. The former outnumber the latter.
He's saying invoking rights you believe you have but actually don't, while having an attitude most likely because you feel entitled based on rights you don't actually have, is not likely to help you. And he is right. If you go storming in with an attitude talking about legal rights you don't actually have, the dealership will most likely tell you to fuck off.

When you're asking someone to do something they aren't legally obligated to do, asking is probably going to get you farther than demanding.

Lol nope. I've got a 100k mile bumper to bumper warranty. Even my key fob is 100% covered. Only thing I'm responsible for is oil changes, brakes and tires. When that's up, I'll trade it for a new one.

Oops, you lost twice itt...

It was a standard low end used car lot. You could buy cash or finance. I made a fairly large down-payment and financed the rest. They pretty gleefully pointed out there's no provision to let me bring the car back if I discovered problems. I told them that's fine, but since they lied right to my face and told me there were no significant issues I'd leave the car there and they'd never see a dime and I'd just take the hit to my credit.

Well if it's financed by a credit union or bank the dealership won't give a shit if you leave the car. The finance company would have already paid the dealer. So that tactic epuld only hurt you in that case.

If it's a buy here-pay here and you're paying the payments to the dealer directly then that's why the car was trash to begin with. They're business is selling other places reject ttades that go straight to auction. Then the buy here-pay here sells them with little to no reconditioning.

Like I said the context seemed pretty clear to myself and others that he was speaking about federal law. if you disagree that's fine. Not trying to start a fight or anything.
Regardless of those dubs, I know you're a good hearted person from I've read of your posts.

That's why I was asking op questions, so I could figure out if it even applied in his case. Can't answer someone fully without all the info. I was just put off with the way he started on me, calling me an idiot, even after it was proven I was right.
He didn't say anything about federal laws. He just came out calling me a liar. I admit, I wasn't reading the whole thread, I was at work and just replying to TS.

Sorry about that. That's why used cars always need inspections.

Well if it's financed by a credit union or bank the dealership won't give a shit if you leave the car. The finance company would have already paid the dealer. So that tactic epuld only hurt you in that case.

If it's a buy here-pay here and you're paying the payments to the dealer directly then that's why the car was trash to begin with. They're business is selling other places reject ttades that go straight to auction. Then the buy here-pay here sells them with little to no reconditioning.
It was financed through a company they had partial ownership of.

Regardless of those dubs, I know you're a good hearted person from I've read of your posts.

That's why I was asking op questions, so I could figure out if it even applied in his case. Can't answer someone fully without all the info. I was just put off with the way he started on me, calling me an idiot, even after it was proven I was right.
He didn't say anything about federal laws. He just came out calling me a liar. I admit, I wasn't reading the whole thread, I was at work and just replying to TS.
Yeah the name calling wasn't really called for. A lot of people seem on edge lately.

You can tell them youre calling the BBB or consulting a lawyer or anything like that, but i dont think that would help you. You signed something saying youre buying a used car with no warranty, thered definitely be legal words in the paperwork stating they are not liable if something is wrong.

One thing you can try is to see if they offer any kinda of service contracts on the engine and trans, or if a third party does. If there is one available, see if maybe they'll be willing to split the cost with you. If so, drive it for 6 months, then you "notice" you're trans is acting up, take it to a shop, give them you're extended warranty information, they deal with the warranty company to get paid, and you get your car fixed. If they determine the cost of replacing the car exceeds the value, they may offer a pay out for the vehicle.
Sorry for such a long post, just some insight from someone whos worked at dealerships for 15 years.

There’s a lot of misinformation itt.

Cvt transmissions can’t be serviced without splitting the case. Changing fluid won’t correct a mechanical failure anyway.

Your best bet ts is ask if they offer extended warranties on powertrain. Buy it and hope the trans keeps working.

Hopefully you werent referring to me as far as the misinformation in this thread. Id already said calling BBB or threatening with a lawyer wont help because you signed a legal document taking possession of a used car. I also mention to him about an extended warranty and he can TRY to see if the selling dealer would split the cost with him to be done with the issue, or he can purchase one himself, drive it for 6 months, and have the trans replaced.. as i said, if its just a noise and no vehicle performance(trans not shifting, not changing gears) hes fine to drive it and wait it out until his warranty is solidified, then have it fixed and pay a deductible, for a new trans.

Hopefully you werent referring to me as far as the misinformation in this thread. Id already said calling BBB or threatening with a lawyer wont help because you signed a legal document taking possession of a used car. I also mention to him about an extended warranty and he can TRY to see if the selling dealer would split the cost with him to be done with the issue, or he can purchase one himself, drive it for 6 months, and have the trans replaced.. as i said, if its just a noise and no vehicle performance(trans not shifting, not changing gears) hes fine to drive it and wait it out until his warranty is solidified, then have it fixed and pay a deductible, for a new trans.

I was not referring to you, no. Yours was one of the few posts that made sense.

I think I lucked out. I've had three or four Nissans that I barely took care of and never had problems with any. I am loyal to them. Once I get a shitty one I'll change. They are just so damm cheap haha.

How many miles did they have before you got rid of them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back