Boned on used car. Update

CrimsonFan

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I had been driving this 05Hyundai xg350 for the last 3-4 years I bought for like 3 grand and it served me really well. Unfortunately age caught up with it and the suspension, ball joints, sway bars, wheel bearings, bushings.. well they all started to go out in the last year and the car needed so much work done to it was just not worth it. I had just replaced the radiator on it too, and got all my brake pads and routers done. So I was bummed out that I needed 4 grand in suspension repairs, decided to sell the car. Only got like 600 bucks for it, it was scrap at that point.

I had no clue how fucking terrible buying a car is right now. I couldn't find anything in my price range. I had saved up like $5000 trying to find something that would just get me around proved to be very difficult. They are wanting 10 grand and more for any good 10 year old car right now it's ridiculous.

After a week or so of looking religiously, I found a 2012 Altima for 5 grand. The car looked great, I liked the way it drove. Deal seemed too good to be true. I did a quick Google search of the Altima and the Edmunds reviews and Carfax scores seemed solid. I thought, well how bad could it be and I bought the car (after taking it to a shop where they looked at it. Said I needed some new hoses and mounts.. alignment. Nothing major).

Well, after I bought the car I noticed I noise I haven't heard before, I could only hear it driving with the window down. Only happened when I accelerated. I quickly started researching the transmissions on these cars and found out, Nissan 07-2013 made the worst transmissions of all time. New CVT technology and they fail under 100,000 miles. Impossible to fix, and expensive to replace.

So I got paranoid and took the car to the best rated transmission shop in town. Yep, I got sold a car from a used car lot with a shot transmission. 4600 to replace it, but they are consistently failing anywhere from 40 to 100 thousand miles.

On top of that I already put 600 in the car, and it needs knew wheels I found out the rims are bent.

Now the used car lot is saying they will buy it back from me for 3500. After tax I'll be out 2,500 after taxed I paid and the repairs. And I do not have hardly any money after this purchase.

If you have an Nissan from those years sell that shit now and do some research you're in a money pit.

And fuck those guys for selling me that car they knew what was up. No idea what I'm gonna do now, I guess get my money back I'm trying to get them to give me more but they don't really have to do shit. Sold me a totaled car.

Update,

They're going to give me back $4000 and take the car back. I am looking into buying an 07 Toyota Carola with 122000 miles now. Going to check it out tomorrow and did alot more homework on this car and what to look out for. Mainly checking to see if it burns oil and for sure looking at this trans fluid. This one has a dipstick

Last edited:
bill-paxton-true-lies1.jpg

Probably the worst I've ever been ripped off. Just threw 2500 dollars in the air basically

Even sadder is that your Hyundai was probably worth 2 grand in todays wacky used car market
Maybe if I wanted to sell it to someone and lie but I'm on this whole doing the right thing kick. I needed a ton of repairs. I tried to get a grand for it but settled for 600

That freaking sucks bro, but that's a hard lesson learned

Feel bad for you dude. I got screwed by a co worker on a car purchase once. I took him at his word that it was g2g and it immediately needed $1500 worth of work.

I'm not advocating you commit insurance fraud, but maybe you get full coverage on it. Maybe one day it develops a pull in the steering wheel, its obviously an older car. Maybe it gets away from you, and damages at least 3 panels on the car when you hit something.....

<{jackyeah}>

Why didn't you test drive it before buying it lol
I did. I didn't notice anything and still don't notice anything. It is still driving I just wanted to go get the transmission fluid changed at the shop since I heard horror stories about the transmissions and they were able to tell me it's fucked.

I'm not advocating you commit insurance fraud, but maybe you get full coverage on it. Maybe one day it develops a pull in the steering wheel, its obviously an older car. Maybe it gets away from you, and damages at least 3 panels on the car when you hit something.....

<{jackyeah}>
That would suck, especially if the accident left him with some impossible to disprove neck pain..

The market is fucking stupid right now. The cars I'm looking at are easily marked up 8-10k over what they should be going for. The only reason I'm entertaining buying is because my trade is worth 6-8k more than it's really worth. If I sold it privately, I could get more than what I paid for it 3.5 years ago.

The market is fucking stupid right now. The cars I'm looking at are easily marked up 8-10k over what they should be going for. The only reason I'm entertaining buying is because my trade is worth 6-8k more than it's really worth. If I sold it privately, I could get more than what I paid for it 3.5 years ago.

Why is the car market so crazy right now? I don't follow any news.

I assume you don't have the credit to lease a cheap car? Car ownership isn't even a good idea if you're poor, if you can at all avoid it. It's a depreciating asset that you pay top dollar for the luxury of using. The ideal situation for a poor person would be to live in an urban area with access to public transport for work, that way the high costs associated with car ownership are sidestepped entirely. If you can't change the car situation, you have to change the living situation.

I had been driving this 05Hyundai xg350 for the last 3-4 years I bought for like 3 grand and it served me really well. Unfortunately age caught up with it and the suspension, ball joints, sway bars, wheel bearings, bushings.. well they all started to go out in the last year and the car needed so much work done to it was just not worth it. I had just replaced the radiator on it too, and got all my brake pads and routers done. So I was bummed out that I needed 4 grand in suspension repairs, decided to sell the car. Only got like 600 bucks for it, it was scrap at that point.

I had no clue how fucking terrible buying a car is right now. I couldn't find anything in my price range. I had saved up like $5000 trying to find something that would just get me around proved to be very difficult. They are wanting 10 grand and more for any good 10 year old car right now it's ridiculous.

After a week or so of looking religiously, I found a 2012 Altima for 5 grand. The car looked great, I liked the way it drove. Deal seemed too good to be true. I did a quick Google search of the Altima and the Edmunds reviews and Carfax scores seemed solid. I thought, well how bad could it be and I bought the car (after taking it to a shop where they looked at it. Said I needed some new hoses and mounts.. alignment. Nothing major).

Well, after I bought the car I noticed I noise I haven't heard before, I could only hear it driving with the window down. Only happened when I accelerated. I quickly started researching the transmissions on these cars and found out, Nissan 07-2013 made the worst transmissions of all time. New CVT technology and they fail under 100,000 miles. Impossible to fix, and expensive to replace.

So I got paranoid and took the car to the best rated transmission shop in town. Yep, I got sold a car from a used car lot with a shot transmission. 4600 to replace it, but they are consistently failing anywhere from 40 to 100 thousand miles.

On top of that I already put 600 in the car, and it needs knew wheels I found out the rims are bent.

Now the used car lot is saying they will buy it back from me for 3500. After tax I'll be out 2,500 after taxed I paid and the repairs. And I do not have hardly any money after this purchase.

If you have an Nissan from those years sell that shit now and do some research you're in a money pit.

And fuck those guys for selling me that car they knew what was up. No idea what I'm gonna do now, I guess get my money back I'm trying to get them to give me more but they don't really have to do shit. Sold me a totaled car.

is that something the Lemon Law can help with...or not?

Back