Bone on Bone

UFCb4Titties

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hello I have a noob white belt question:

How do MMA fighters train for the giving and receiving of pain from low kicks? Watching some of the UFC prelims over the last few months, there seems to be a lot of occasions when shin hits shin at a high velocity and these guys just carry on like nothing happened. How can you train for that without the danger of seriously hurting yourself?

Condition the shin by kicking the heavy bag, a lot. By doing so you'll strengthen the bone whilst killing off the nerves at the same time. It's important that you don't use a stick, for instance, and repeatedly hit at the shin to try and achieve it since you're only killing the nerves and not making the bone stronger.

Over many years you'll eventually be able to ignore it just as fighters do, although, once you're in the ring your pain tolerance is much, much higher.

You're not really killing the nerves, just getting them and your brain used to the sensation of pain you get from kicking hard objects. It will still register, but your brain will be like "Psh, is that all" instead of "Owie owie owie owie".

Ive had 7 muay thai/ kickboxing fights without shin pads, my shins are still sore the next day. I think they hurt less after fights now than they used but it might just be getting used to the pain. In the fight with your adrenaline going you dont feel anything.

Shin conditioning first. You don't feel anything when you're in the ring. It sucks super hard the next day though

Damn, I'm wincing just from reading these posts!

So it's not like in early Van Damme movies where he kicks the tree trunk until his leg bleeds? Lol.

Yes, constant conditioning from the heavy bag is the best way (that I know of).

Some believe that hitting or rolling sticks/bottles on your shin is better, but in reality it only creates microfractures in your bones, which in my logic would only make your shins weaker.

Kick the heavy bag thousands and THOUSANDS of times.

This is 100% correct. Heavy bag work and thai pads will condition your shins after thousands and thousands of repetitions.

Do work SON!!

Heavy big lifts, like squats and deadlifts, will increase bone density body-wide, but especially in your legs. Won't help with the nerve stuff/getting used to pain, but will literally help the bones get stronger.

Just another angle. You should be doing it all.

adrenalin helps them a lot, you cant feel any pain when your under adrenalin rushes. also, hitting heavy bags is good training, or if you want to go old fashion muay thai training and kicking banana tress.

At the club I go to we kick a car tire set up on a chair to condition our shins. It has a little give to it but is still hard enough to work up your shins.

Even with shin conditioning, shin to shin contact still hurts like hell. In a fight though with the adrenalin flowing you don't feel much.

Kick the bag a lot, and squat a lot, and that is as much as you can do.

The human body is an amazing thing, over time you'll get used to the contact. But you'll always feel it.

Conditioning bones/shins is to be a gradual process it doesn't happen over night you have to keep working at it......

You're not really killing the nerves, just getting them and your brain used to the sensation of pain you get from kicking hard objects. It will still register, but your brain will be like "Psh, is that all" instead of "Owie owie owie owie".

exactly , you dont "kill" the nerves.
Thats just ignorance.

Damn, I'm wincing just from reading these posts!

So it's not like in early Van Damme movies where he kicks the tree trunk until his leg bleeds? Lol.

thats a bloody banana tree.
I broke through one (15" thick) after just a year of training.
Fucking bags are harder than that.

:icon_lol:

kicking the heavy bag is not enough. That only densifies the bone and helps a lil bit in pain conditioning.

You have to spar n fight to build proper tolerance. A blocking shin bone is a lot harder than a heavy bag or tire and with less give.
Thats why when u spar with pads it still hurts now n then.

Yes, constant conditioning from the heavy bag is the best way (that I know of).

Some believe that hitting or rolling sticks/bottles on your shin is better, but in reality it only creates microfractures in your bones, which in my logic would only make your shins weaker.

Read Wolf's Law, and that explains how bone gets harder and denser over time.

thats a bloody banana tree.
I broke through one (15" thick) after just a year of training.
Fucking bags are harder than that.

:icon_lol:

Bannana tree is supposed to be like a sponge so I have heard....

Back