Bombshell $10M suit claims two NYC hotels turned a blind eye to child sex trafficking

phoenixikki

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Bombshell $10M suit claims two NYC hotels turned a blind eye to child sex trafficking

econo-lodge-1.jpg

A 10-year-old girl was raped, tortured and beaten as she was sold for sex at two Big Apple motels while staff turned a blind eye to her obvious abuse, a bombshell $10 million lawsuit filed Tuesday claims.

The suit, filed in Brooklyn federal court and the first of its kind in New York, claims Wyndham Hotels & Resorts and Choice Hotels Corporation were complicit in the girl’s abuse by operating franchises that chose “to ignore the open and obvious presence of sex trafficking on their properties.”

The plaintiff, who is now a woman in her 20s and was only identified by the initials “S.J.,” claims she was sold for sex as much as 15 to 20 times per day at a Howard Johnson in Jamaica, Queens, operated by Wyndham, and an Econo Lodge in the Bronx, operated by Choice Hotels, between 2006 and 2009, when she was between the ages of 10 and 13, the suit states.
S.J. had met her trafficker shortly after she escaped from a foster home where she was being sexually and physically abused, the suit says, adding she’d entered foster care after her father was caught molesting her.

“S.J.’s trafficker took advantage of her vulnerability by preying on the young girl’s normal desire for attention and approval and gaining her trust by taking her out for meals and shopping trips, and offering her life advice and the promise that she could be a part of their family,” the suit states.

The vast majority of sex trafficking victims were sexually abused as children, multiple experts have told The Post.

For the next three years, the trafficker would put a “paper bag” over S.J.’s head and ferry her to the Econo Lodge and the Howard Johnson, where she’d spend days at a time being raped by clients non-stop, the suit states.

The trafficker would always pay for the rooms in cash and when he didn’t have money for rooms at the Econo Lodge, he allowed hotel staff to rape his victims “in lieu of his payment for the rooms,” the papers show.

Continue reading

Many of these hotels are complicit as sex trafficking is big business and a huge money maker for these hotel chains. Ever notice there are cheapo hotels in the middle of nowhere where no tourists would go in many towns and cities. Who is going to use them to make it profitable other than sex trafficking? Sadly, workers will often turn a blind eye with money (or other things) dangling in their faces in exchange for their silence. Children and teenagers have no business being there alone or with adults who are not relatives. People need to step up and do something, report it immediately and ask questions.

I have to stop reading this stories.

Around super bowl time, I see stuff about flight attendants being trained to spot signs of someone being trafficked

Yeah, cheap motels are an even larger area of avenue to catch and stop them (by reporting to police. Not saying anyone has to be a hero) and if it was enough known the corporation should be responsible at least for lacking training or procedures.

The cases where the trafficker "paid" the motel manager or desk worker with time with their girl, I don't know that the corporation can be responsible for that amount of individual evil and criminality.

Also, I found bed bugs in my bed of a Howard Johnson by Wyndham. So definitely drive them out of business. 10M is pocket change to them tho, they'll definitely settle to keep this quiet even if they pay more than said 10.

These are horrible allegations, but the suit is unlikely to get very far as currently pleaded. There's an easy case against the abusers/traffickers/pimps, but the franchise is alleged to be negligent at most (ignored warning signs), despite TS's suggestions that they were bribed. And the actual defendants are the parent companies, who are even further removed-the theory appears to be that they should have instituted training requirements for spotting abuse for franchisees.

My girl is from the east coast and always said that Howard Johnsons were known for being a bit...seedy.

giphy.gif

Raped by her father, raped in foster care, ran away only to get raped, then raped by pimps, clients and hotel staff?

I hope this is all fantastical bs, because if not this is one of the worst cases of child abuse I've ever heard of.

Around super bowl time, I see stuff about flight attendants being trained to spot signs of someone being trafficked

Yeah, cheap motels are an even larger area of avenue to catch and stop them (by reporting to police. Not saying anyone has to be a hero) and if it was enough known the corporation should be responsible at least for lacking training or procedures.

The cases where the trafficker "paid" the motel manager or desk worker with time with their girl, I don't know that the corporation can be responsible for that amount of individual evil and criminality.

Also, I found bed bugs in my bed of a Howard Johnson by Wyndham. So definitely drive them out of business. 10M is pocket change to them tho, they'll definitely settle to keep this quiet even if they pay more than said 10.

I’m not sure training or procedures will stop someone who is willing to break the law like that.

I’m not sure training or procedures will stop someone who is willing to break the law like that.

I was saying it wouldn't work for those people

For the ones who simply saw something suspicious and did nothing, there this lawsuit might have a case that the company not providing training and procedures allowed the culture of complacency to exist.

I was saying it wouldn't work for those people

For the ones who simply saw something suspicious and did nothing, there this lawsuit might have a case that the company not providing training and procedures allowed the culture of complacency to exist.
Gotcha chief. Carry on.

I want to say I'm shocked but I'm not. My job I have to "see" (ie, read the police report) for victim's like this way more than I'd like.

Demons walk among us.

Raped by her father, raped in foster care, ran away only to get raped, then raped by pimps, clients and hotel staff?

I hope this is all fantastical bs, because if not this is one of the worst cases of child abuse I've ever heard of.
It sounds horrible, but that's a sad reality for thousands of girls who come from broken families. Besides, those bastards are actively preying on those kids. They know they have no self-steem and are easily impressed by presents and attention.

I have to stop reading this stories.

same here. it is making my blood boil. on the other hand, feeling this way is the only way to create true change, and to take steps to prevent this.

Many of these hotels are complicit as sex trafficking is big business and a huge money maker for these hotel chains. Ever notice there are cheapo hotels in the middle of nowhere where no tourists would go in many towns and cities. Who is going to use them to make it profitable other than sex trafficking? Sadly, workers will often turn a blind eye with money (or other things) dangling in their faces in exchange for their silence. Children and teenagers have no business being there alone or with adults who are not relatives. People need to step up and do something, report it immediately and ask questions.

Yeah, I actually have. Driving down in Long Beach I see a ton of shitty ass motels in equally shitty neighborhoods and wonder who would actually stay there other than people using drugs or picking up prostitutes.

This shit is disgusting. Hotel workers giving out rooms to sex traffickers in general and for sex with underage girls wtf. $10 million doesn't even seem like enough IMO.

I don’t know if I want to live in a world where you can’t trust Econo Lodge staff members.

Back