Boetsch - Fighter of the Year?

Tough year for this award. Rousey might be the winner. I can see Bendo or Jones getting it too,

Tim's fight with Hector was TERRIBLE though, that should eliminate him from contention.

It was a bad fight and I didn't think he won it, but everyone else has had some controversy surrounding their claim to fighter of the year. I'm not saying Boetsch potentially could be fighter of the year, just that I think he could be in the mix and did have a good year on paper

It was a bad fight and I didn't think he won it, but everyone else has had some controversy surrounding their claim to fighter of the year. I'm not saying Boetsch potentially could be fighter of the year, just that I think he could be in the mix and did have a good year on paper

Some had fights that could have gone either way, That Tim/Lombard fight was TERRIBLE tho like previously stated. I think Edgar won the second fight with Bendo, but it was still a close GOOD fight.

If Boetsch wins on Saturday, would you consider him in the mix for fighter of the year? He'd have 3 decent wins. It definitely would've helped his case a lot more though if he'd have been fighting Weidman I think

Boetsch: Okami, Lombard (controversial), Philippou
Henderson: 2x Frankie (both controversial), Diaz
Jones: Rashad, Vitor
Hendricks: Koscheck (controversial), Kampmann

Can't really think of who else should make the list off the top of my head. Oh and I didn't include Cormier as he only fought once, Silva as he only had 1 real fight, and I didn't include Ronda as I consider her the Fighter of the Year for WMMA

Nah, maybe comeback of the year but he hasn't really impressed me yet. Other than the comeback of course haha.

All the guys you listed are great but had shown some weakness in my opinion. Jones almost got subbed, Hendricks had a controversial win against Koscheck, and Hendo also had a controversial win against Edgar in the second match.

i don't understand why so many people look at wins but not the actual fight. comeback fighter of the year is a maybe. but it's not like he looked great in his fights against okami and lombard. he looked pretty shitty.

My fighter of the year... Matt Brown 4 convincing wins against decent opposition.

No.
The Lombard win was a robbery and the Okami win was a fluke.
All the credit in the world to him for refusing to lose in the Okami fight, but we all know who the better fighter is.

My top candidates are "Mighty Mouse," Benson Henderson, or Ronda Rousey. "Mighty Mouse" went 2-0-1 with the No. 1 flyweight (McCall) and former No. 3 bantamweight (Benavidez) to become the UFC's inaugural flyweight champion. Henderson took home two wins over Frankie Edgar and one over Nate Diaz to become the lightweight champion, cementing his status as the top 155 lb fighter in the world. 2012 marked Rousey's rise to prominence as she dominated en route to winning the Strikeforce belt, then carried women's MMA into the UFC. Regardless of one's opinion on women's MMA, that achievement is difficult to overlook. I wouldn't be disappointed if any of those three fighters took a Fighter of the Year nomination.

No.
All the credit in the world to him for refusing to lose in the Okami fight, but we all know who the better fighter is.

This. Robbery is a strong word though.

No.

Well in that case then you think Silva's win over Chael is a fluke. I personally think the win was a fluke, but you're never going to hear anybody else admit than Chael whooped Silva and Silva should not have won their first fight. Instead you'll hear how Silva could have submitted Chael anytime he wanted to, he was simply playing possum and making the fight dramatic. Truth is Chael showed everyone he was the better fighter that night, with somehow Silva pulling a submission out of his ass to save himself, much like Tim came roaring back to beat Okami, but Okami proved he was the better fighter.

Sherdog logic at its finest ladies and gents. Silva vs Sonnen I = Silva could have submitted Chael anytime he wanted to, Chael didn't prove he was the better fighter, Silva wins 10/10, etc. Okami vs Boetsch = the KO was a fluke, Okami won the majority of the fight and is the better fighter, he wins 15/10. At least keep the standards equal. If Okami is the better fighter, Chael was the better fighter against Silva the first time

Last edited:
If you just look at wins over Okami, Lombard and Philippou without looking at the actual fights, then he has a case, but if you examine the fights, he doesn't. He got smashed by Okami for 2 rounds, then he had kind of a 'hail mary' in the third round, then he won a fight against Lombard in which I thought Lombard should have won, and then a fight with Philippou where we don't even know what will happen. Even if he were to dominate Philippou, I still couldn't consider him at all. He didn't look good in the 2 fights he's had so far this year. I couldn't even put him in the top 20 for the year.

Back