Bodylock pass tips ?

ITRDC5

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hi guys ,

Been experimenting a lot with the bodylock style passing recently but finding some difficulty with certain areas .

Mainly with actually passing the bottom leg that I have on the mat , I can seem to get my same side leg over sometimes ? I am focussed on keeping my arm glasped so that I don't get out back in closed guard so I can't use my arm to help push the leg out .

I am passing low , not a tripod - I shoot in from standing and get the lock around the waist . Cable grip and head at the same side on am looking to pass to, I know I am missing something though - as it seems really hard to get past that leg - any tips appreciated .

Many thanks

Use an off-centre grip with the hands far over towards the side you want to pass rather than the centre of the back. It should be either a Gable Grip or preferably an S-Grip with the hand of the arm under them being the palm-down side. Try not to body lock too close to your own shoulder level as this means your are driving them down on to your hands which becomes painful for you.

As part of your initial shot try to put them flat on their back and beat the knee-line on the side you want to pass on as you land. If that isn't possible and you're sitting on their hooks walk them in tight to their arse first. From there sprawl the far hip low and walk around in the direction you're passing until you can step over his knee at which point they should always be trying to lock Half Guard rather than just letting you walk in to Side Control.

After forcing Half Guard turn in to Reverse Half Guard. wedge your free knee against their hip and use it to get escape the knee of the trapped leg. From Quarter Guard use your free leg to pry the bottom leg down by standing on their calf and pushing down. You can easily go to Mount or step off in to Side Control now only letting go the Body Lock at the very end of either.

Last edited:
Wow, thank you guys so much for the feedback- Sorry I have been away with work!

Such detailed feedback, my entry is looking good and I am doing well however @ approx 2.08 in the above video, I struggle to get my outside leg above the knee line. I having been resulting to using my arm to push the knee down , which isn't ideal as it means I let go of the bodylock.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? My other leg is sprawled, my partner just seems to be able to keep that leg in play unless I start to push with my hand - then It kinda feels like an over under pass.

Wow, thank you guys so much for the feedback- Sorry I have been away with work!

Such detailed feedback, my entry is looking good and I am doing well however @ approx 2.08 in the above video, I struggle to get my outside leg above the knee line. I having been resulting to using my arm to push the knee down , which isn't ideal as it means I let go of the bodylock.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? My other leg is sprawled, my partner just seems to be able to keep that leg in play unless I start to push with my hand - then It kinda feels like an over under pass.
Maybe you're not keeping enough weight and pressure pinning them or not being insistent enough?

After you initially sprawl the other leg back to kill their hook get back up on to your toes and drive forward again from that foot even though your leg is quite straight. Their hips should be stuck even if their back is off the mat so really your just need to walk to the side a little to be able to take step over their knee. If you're very determined people will usually just quickly accept they can't hook sweep you anymore and take Half Guard as their only defensive option.

Finding that balance between being low but also creating pressure by driving in to them sounds like all your missing really.

Ok so I have learned something there, I am not really on my toes on the sprawl leg.
I have been keeping it flat in order to start them getting full guard back so my pressure most likely isn'r driving into them as much as it could be.

Excellent tips, I'll try it out at class this week- I have been trying to make this a mainstay pass in order to pass a lot of modern guards and simplify my competition gameplan.

The instructional is on sale right now, save $46 in total using the code LACHLAN10

https://bjjfanatics.com/products/the-body-lock-pass-by-lachlan-giles

Working my way through your bottom half guard anthology and loving it. Lots of success with the Choi bar in particular.
I plan on grabbing the no gi chokes instructional next followed by the leg lock one.
Just wanted to say thanks for the quality instructionals. I like your stuff better than the other big players in the instructional game.

Back