Bodybuilding Workouts Similair to PL Ones

Urban- I don't think you came off hostile at all. I was pretty much expecting a lot more flak than this when I created the thread. I think everyone's actually been quite nice to this point. You must be barely restraining yourself from tee-ing off though. :D

Madmick- I'm curious that the routine I posted looks different from 90% of the ones you see on paper. I'd think (but I'd have to double check to be too certain here) that I could pull half a dozen similair routines straight out of the BBing rags. By all means though set me straight if I'm making my arguement using a watered down PLing routine here as that would pretty much take my footing away.

BabyPhenom- Personally I'm still trying to add some bulk. I'd like to put on another 20 pounds or so in the next six months and evaluate from there. Leaning out is never really much of an issue for me as I'm naturally built like a scrawny little girl so I'm always fighting that. 3 compund excercises and a couple of isolation ones doesn't seem like all that much volume though really.

NoSkill- Yes there's an arm day and I'm aware that that's pretty much universally looked down upon here. But keep in mind that it's on a BJJ day where I'm essentially working out for 4 hours that day (between mat time and gym time) so it's not exactly emphasized as strongly as it might seem.

AS far as BBing programs go, it is one of the better ones ive seen. However, I too think you spend to much time on "useless" exercises, time that could be sent on much better things, say recovery.

My question is this: "Who are you to tell us what a "true" bodybuilding routine looks like?"

You've already told us that you're an "amateur, hobbyist, natural" bodybuilder; you've already told us that you have no real, eye-catching physique, although, you practice a sport meant to cultivate one; since when have the newbie, fringe elements of the sport been allowed to speak for the sport in its entireity?

I'm not arguing that your routine sucks. I agree with the consensus here in saying that I find it so-so with a bunch of extraneous crap. I'm not even arguing that you're wrong to suggest that many bodybuilders may, in fact, train like that. All I'm saying is that the relative merit of your routine doesn't excuse the whole of bodybuilding from all the shitty methodologies it incorporates. I can pick up Arnold Schwarzenegger's Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding right now and find worse routines than this; I can go to the nearest bookstore and pick up any muscle magazine on the rack and find dumber training splits being touted as effective; I can surf around the internet and find ten thousand sucky routines promoted by bodybuilders with as much or more credibility in the sport than you. The whole shithouse that is bodybuilding can go straight to hell as far as I'm concerned.

But let's get one thing clear: I do like you. I think you're an asset to the board.

I'd like to get at least one more thing clear, Billy Jean is NOT my lover.

Also, do my routine and your back will triple in size while you lose an inch on your arms, I swear.

if someone has already pointed this out i'm sorry for being an unoriginal piece of shit, but imo huge differences between bbing and pling routines are in the rep schemes and how the exercises are performed. for instance, doing 3 sets of say 8-12 reps on bench, very slow and with an assisted rep or two at the end vs. working up in heavy triples and doubles to a 1rm, generally avoiding failure, and trying to move the weight as fast as possible.

i'm also pretty sure that no bb'ers are doing exercises to work on sticking points in their lifts - board presses, dl's off a platform, rack pulls, etc.

KOU In3 said:
Madmick- I'm curious that the routine I posted looks different from 90% of the ones you see on paper. I'd think (but I'd have to double check to be too certain here) that I could pull half a dozen similair routines straight out of the BBing rags. By all means though set me straight if I'm making my arguement using a watered down PLing routine here as that would pretty much take my footing away.
That's more or less where most of my "paper" examples are from. I got my start in bodybuilding, obviously, because that's what my dumbass football coaches taught, and what was available to me after high school when I started lifting again wtih my best friend (who still lifts for aesthetic purposes, but he can dunk a basketball at 6'0" and bench over 300 at 190 at 21 years of age).

None of the routines I ever got in a BB mag had deadlifts in them. Also, very few split into push/pull/squat. Every routine I got was always divided into upper and lower body, and the upper body would have 2-3 divisions itself, usually.

It more or less does look like a watered down PL routine- just the added isolation work at the end.

Lose an inch on my arms, dont know if my skinny ass :eek::eek::eek:ot arms can take that..

CarnalSalvation said:
I was joking mang.

Yeah me to, actually im a fat fuck right now, so nothing skinny on me at all..;)

Looking at that pic of Coleman, im wondering how many women on this earth would get turned on by that pic? My guess is less than 1%, somebody got any other thoughts? (although many fertile cows posibly could be persuaded to change their poster of a belgian blue bull to a poster or coleman instead..)

Bodybuilding is funny, its a sport built on aestetichs, but its ideals have degenerated into something that the oposite sex usually finds totaly discusting. Its a strange sport altogether.

krellik said:
Looking at that pic of Coleman, im wondering how many women on this earth would get turned on by that pic? My guess is less than 1%.

Yeah, but if I was lifting to get women I would have stopped trying to put on size when I was a lean 170. (insert gay joke here about impressing men instead lol). I'd imagine they are focusing on building muscle not becoming male models.

The same way this forum gets upset by some frat boy looking to 'build' some quick abs for spring break, I'd imagine they'd feel about the same way when told that chicks would like them better a lighter bodyweight.

HULKAMANIA said:
My question is this: "Who are you to tell us what a "true" bodybuilding routine looks like?"

You've already told us that you're an "amateur, hobbyist, natural" bodybuilder; you've already told us that you have no real, eye-catching physique, although, you practice a sport meant to cultivate one; since when have the newbie, fringe elements of the sport been allowed to speak for the sport in its entireity?

Touche'! I suppose karma pretty much dictates that I get that one as I've demanded similair credentials from others in the past. I'm not one to trumpet my development as I've found that unless you can compete in whatever your sport is on a national level, you look a bit foolish touting accomplishments that can be matched in small towns everywhere. (And I lack the cajones to go posting shirtless pics of myself on the net.)

As to the 'true bodybuilding routine', I claim no right to 'build the perfect routine'. Rather that it was (IMO) a pretty typical example of a good BBing routine. If I still had the stack of Flex's that I threw out forever ago, I'd paw through them and cite half a dozen very similair routines or those of 'the pro's' in order to prove my point of run of the mill routines focusing on compound movements and incorporating the 'big three' each on their own day.

You know whats funny?
There is almost NO differance ( from a body building perspective) between:
workout #1
Benchpress 10 sets of 5

and
workout #2
Flat bench 4 sets
Incline becnh 3 sets
decline bench 3 sets

NONE. Except workout #1 will also make you stronger...

Back