Body Triangle

Baylow

White Belt
Reaction score
What is everyone's opinion on the Body triangle. I'm been tossing it into my game lately and I have had some pretty positive effects with it. I'm new to this whole thing so i can't really do much out of it (aside from the occasional sweep) but it certainly upsets some of the more advanced guys who then have trouble passing it.

What are some of the common counters for it I should be watching out for? There is one guy who seems to shrug it off, but i can't really tell what he's doing.

(first post, Hi by the way.

dont let him figure four your feet, or ur ankle will go pop

I love it. I'm 6'2" and have fairly long legs, so I can exert a lot of control with it. I also find people have a really hard time spinning back into my guard from it.

i use it a decent amount. just make sure you keep the lock up, don't let your opponent turn it over to the ground or he can tap you with a counter a lot easier

I use it for control. It's just another thing distracting my opponent allowing me to try and sink a choke or something.

from the description, he is talking about the body triangle from the guard... i don't see much point of it, since you have to open your guard for most attacks.

from the description, he is talking about the body triangle from the guard... i don't see much point of it, since you have to open your guard for most attacks.

I'm 6'3" and have very long arms.... so it sort of depends.

if you body triangle from the guard, you will kill your hip movement and hence most of your attacks, most attacks (arm bars, triangle, kimuras, omplata's) required escaping your hips, which you can't do when you have a locked body triangle

I always try to get it when I've got someones back, and since I've got some short legs it really sucks the juice out of people. For the same reason however, I cannot get it from guard.

joe rogan gets wet when he sees one.

when i use it it mostly works on bigger stronger guys.

on lighter guys i try not to ride high or heavy and just like cruisin on him. and gettin the choke.

but body triangle wouldnt be my first move. unless its the right situation. but if you were thinking about using it mix it in with your hooks 50/50 yannknamean>

Well, if it is from the guard. I'm a noob and I don't see much point into it. Codemonkey got it right on the nose.

Only when I have back control. I dont like using it from the guard and have never seen much of a point in using it in the guard. All you're really doing is just holding position, there really many submisions you can do with it. You need hip movment and the body triangle limits that greatly.

Actually I'd like to know some things you can do when somebody pulls the body triangle on your back. My instructor does it to me a lot and he squeezes so hard it almost makes me tap to just that cuz I can't breath.

The upper belts are probably getting frustrated because it is a total stall position from guard. And rolling in practice should be about working positions.

Your ankle can get attacked similarily from guard or from back. You have to always be aware of your leg position. Its really a transitional technique.

Actually I'd like to know some things you can do when somebody pulls the body triangle on your back. My instructor does it to me a lot and he squeezes so hard it almost makes me to just that cuz I can't breath.

There's alot of different ways. Personally I like to make it so the side his feet are on is pinned against the ground, I protect my neck with one hand and scoop up the top leg all whil turning into him. Gotta be quick though.

You can check grappling sites or youtube for different ways.

You can always try to put pressure on him too... never usually works on me, but it's worth a shot I suppose.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HUnYDMXcsKo&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HUnYDMXcsKo&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

i LOVE it. i am 6'2'' as have long legs. i use them usually when i have the back. i use it to squeeze the air out of the opponent as it is around his stomach.

from my gaurd though? uhhhh not usually. unless i wanna have a low gaurd, which i usually dont...so no.

Back