Body Triangle or Double hooks???

Hooks. I can't close a body triangle on anyone my size or larger, anyway.

That being said, I use the bottom hook only a lot, either closing a 'half guard' from the back or using my other foot on the mat/as a butterfly hook to maintain position. I also try to trap the arm with my leg whenever possible.

The position that mikey is talking about is very good and useful. If I am understanding right I do the same thing all the time. Ill have the back, and have my opponent on his side with standard hooks in and everything. I frequently take out the top hook and tuck it under there knee. From there if they try and turn into me I raise the foot that is under there knee and it stops there attempt. Think about it when you have their back and they are on their side, their hips at that moment are vertical. For him to do a standard back escape he needs to turn his hips so that they are parallel to the ground. With the hook under the knee I can continue to flip his hips over and keep the position.
Just something that I do let me know what you think.

i prefer body triangle but it all depends on which position you are in as doing one over the other might be more advantageous

hooks. if i fell like they are getting to where they a going to be able to turn into me I switch to body trianlge - but i am a tall mofo so it is easy.

I don't use hooks enough.

I'm absolutely addicted to the body triangle - I'm hard to get off and it lets me apply a lot of pressure to their stomach and ribs which can make people make mistakes.

This is nogi.

Quick question, are you talking about the regular escape where you bridge a bit and fall to one side? I assume it is, but I've recently been caught in this position a lot and it's proven to be a tough nut to crack.

yes. if you shoot to a "lockdown" type triangle on their bottom leg and maintain control of there hips it stops this escape.

The position that mikey is talking about is very good and useful. If I am understanding right I do the same thing all the time. Ill have the back, and have my opponent on his side with standard hooks in and everything. I frequently take out the top hook and tuck it under there knee. From there if they try and turn into me I raise the foot that is under there knee and it stops there attempt. Think about it when you have their back and they are on their side, their hips at that moment are vertical. For him to do a standard back escape he needs to turn his hips so that they are parallel to the ground. With the hook under the knee I can continue to flip his hips over and keep the position.
Just something that I do let me know what you think.

I do that too, but don't usually stay tucked under his top knee. after flipping them back I generally cross my feet with only one hook in and pinch my knees on their hips. It's a reasonably common position, but difficult to describe.

Hooks - More positions available, easier to escape

Body Triangle - Leaves you vulnerable to a submission but you can strike well, less
options

one thing I look at is Marcelo Garcia is the king of taking the back and back control, and he uses hooks, so what's good for Marcelo is good for me.
because other high level grapplers don't use the body triangle

ronaldo-jacar%C3%A9-x-robbie.jpg

Roger-Gracie-finaliza-Strikeforce-divulga%C3%A7%C3%A3o.jpg

*edit* wrong video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztnWOFJhBvs

I don't like the body triangle, because you're trapped there without good mobility, and there are some tricks people can pull out of the hat to hurt you even though you have the back.

Hooks on the other hand are super mobile, and with a good seat-belt control even better than the triangle.

Last edited:
Back