Body Triangle or Double hooks???

jarra22

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, i was just wondering if you prefer getting back position with a body triangle or double leg hooks and why?

Personally, I like body triangles just because they come more naturally to me.

I prefer the hooks. First, I have dwarf legs. Secondly, I like the mobility afforded to me with the hooks (Armbars and bow and arrow chokes are easier to transition to when I don't have to switch out of a body triangle. Also, re-mounting is easier.) Thirdly, 4 points. Gotta go with that!

I completely agree with keynote... You can use the hooks and easily trap 1 arm, wheras if you have a body triangle you can't unlock and trap an arm as easy, and switching between back mount / mount / bow-and-arrow / armbar is much easier. And as keynote said 4 points.

I completely agree with keynote... You can use the hooks and easily trap 1 arm, wheras if you have a body triangle you can't unlock and trap an arm as easy, and switching between back mount / mount / bow-and-arrow / armbar is much easier. And as keynote said 4 points.

I guess that makes sense. I should probably start using that more than a body triangle then huh?

I guess that makes sense. I should probably start using that more than a body triangle then huh?

I'd focus on it, yeah. In my opinion, body triangle is fairly advantageous for MMA because it allows you to posture and punch. In BJJ, I believe it'll hinder you for the reasons I gave above. I don't want to think of a body triangle as a 'crutch' for solid control, but you ought to learn how to do it with the hooks so that you'll be able to attack and move as you please.

I know I've used the body triangle before because it feels like such good and easy control, but I try not to do it anymore because I want to be able to have the same control (if not more so) with my hooks alone.

I'm kind of rambling, but the hooks are more dynamic.

I usually only go for the body triangle if I have the guy on his side and I feel that it would be easy to slap the triangle on. I don't usually hunt for the body triangle.

I prefer the hooks for better mobility like others have stated.

Off-angle body triangle. Easy for my long legs to wrap around them, holds them in place, and no chance for a footlock.

I have no general preference. I pick depending on the situation.

one thing I look at is Marcelo Garcia is the king of taking the back and back control, and he uses hooks, so what's good for Marcelo is good for me.

I use both, but whenever I can lock in the body triangle, I usually do. I need to open up to get submissions, but It's better to lock in the position imo.

Always hooks. I want the mobility. Whenever someone does for the body triangle I'm look for the ankle lock.

I prefer Hooks because I consider it a superior position. Like others, I would site the mobility advantage and submission advantage.

I want to think like I my opponent. If I'm in a body triangle, I know I have to worry about two things: defending the choke and escaping - not as easily, sure, but that's about it. If the opponent is using hooks, I've a lot more to worry about.

Lack of mobility and limited sub choices is actually what I like the most about the body triangle. You can hang in there for as long as you want and that laser-like focus on the RNC makes it easier to eventually sink in. The sword cuts both ways, yes, but the wound is deeper for the defender.

honestly neither. I use both, and several more positions to control from the back depending on the circumstance.

My preferred starting point is actually a single hook with my knees pinched on the hips. lots of options from here, in fact most of the time I put my second hook in for three seconds to get the points then go back the the single hook.

honestly neither. I use both, and several more positions to control from the back depending on the circumstance.

My preferred starting point is actually a single hook with my knees pinched on the hips. lots of options from here, in fact most of the time I put my second hook in for three seconds to get the points then go back the the single hook.

Just curious and looking to learn, how do you usually attack from there?

Just curious and looking to learn, how do you usually attack from there?

Depends on what the opponent does, mostly just dig for the RNC. I like it better because when my opponent tries to bridge his weight onto me I can just hip away with my free leg and keep him on his side without losing any control.

Also I can bring my leg up for a low hook attempt and when they block I can come around and trap the arm without losing control.

Also when they try to put their back flat to the ground to escape I can just switch to a japanese grapvine triangle on the one leg and attack from there with twisters, banana splits,etc. and anytime I want just grab a seatbelt and take back control back again... sometimes that stuff isn't legal so it's good to get in the habit of regrouping with a seatbelt grip. In the past year I trimmed a lot of the fat from my game and stuff like twisters I don't use much anymore. I mainly just use that japanese grapevine to stop the escape now.

It depends. If i've gotten the points and I need to maintain. then I go body triangle. Otherwise, hooks, because they're more dynamic and allow for easy armbars.

Depends on what the opponent does, mostly just dig for the RNC. I like it better because when my opponent tries to bridge his weight onto me I can just hip away with my free leg and keep him on his side without losing any control.

Also I can bring my leg up for a low hook attempt and when they block I can come around and trap the arm without losing control.

Also when they try to put their back flat to the ground to escape I can just switch to a japanese grapvine triangle on the one leg and attack from there with twisters, banana splits,etc. and anytime I want just grab a seatbelt and take back control back again... sometimes that stuff isn't legal so it's good to get in the habit of regrouping with a seatbelt grip. In the past year I trimmed a lot of the fat from my game and stuff like twisters I don't use much anymore. I mainly just use that japanese grapevine to stop the escape now.

Quick question, are you talking about the regular escape where you bridge a bit and fall to one side? I assume it is, but I've recently been caught in this position a lot and it's proven to be a tough nut to crack.

Back