body punching-who practices it and who uses it when sparring/fighting

I do kyokushin. We are not allowed to punch or elbow to the head. All our punches and elbows are to the body (actually, you are also allowed to punch&elbow the arms and legs -but who would want to punch a leg?), and we do a lot of them.

QUOTE]

i don't know much about kyokushin, i train in MT myself, so i'm certainly not bashing the art or anything. but what's the point in training not to hit the head?

Off topic, but...
Same reason boxers are not allowed to knee or use elbow. Same reason MT guys are not allowed to use judo throws. Same reason MMA guys are not allowed to headbutts. Same reason Judo does not allow punches or kicks (despite them existing in the kodokan judo system). Sport rules.

We train headpunches, and elbows to the head, as part of the style of kyokushin, but those techniques have been forbidden in the standard kyokushin competition rules (known as knockdown) since the knockdown karate rules was created in the mid 60ies.

Back in the 60ies when the rules was created, the choice was between using big boxing gloves (there was no small MMA type gloves available) with the inherent changes in punching and blocking that they result in, or no gloves with no headpunches allowed for safety reasons.
No gloves and still allowing headpunches is not a good idea in a standup fightsport, and would in any case have fallen under Japanese laws prohibiting bareknuckle fighting.

Today it is just the traditional knockdown karate rules (as used by kyokushin, shidokan,ashihara, enshin, byakuren and too many other styles to list), and are used because they are so widespread and firmly rooted that they are hard to change. But there are plenty of kyokushin and offshot groups experimenting with other rules (allowing face punching), or competing in kickboxing tournaments to get headpunching experience.

Off topic, but...
Same reason boxers are not allowed to knee or use elbow. Same reason MT guys are not allowed to use judo throws. Same reason MMA guys are not allowed to headbutts. Same reason Judo does not allow punches or kicks (despite them existing in the kodokan judo system). Sport rules.

We train headpunches, and elbows to the head, as part of the style of kyokushin, but those techniques have been forbidden in the standard kyokushin competition rules (known as knockdown) since the knockdown karate rules was created in the mid 60ies.

Back in the 60ies when the rules was created, the choice was between using big boxing gloves (there was no small MMA type gloves available) with the inherent changes in punching and blocking that they result in, or no gloves with no headpunches allowed for safety reasons.
No gloves and still allowing headpunches is not a good idea in a standup fightsport, and would in any case have fallen under Japanese laws prohibiting bareknuckle fighting.

Today it is just the traditional knockdown karate rules (as used by kyokushin, shidokan,ashihara, enshin, byakuren and too many other styles to list), and are used because they are so widespread and firmly rooted that they are hard to change. But there are plenty of kyokushin and offshot groups experimenting with other rules (allowing face punching), or competing in kickboxing tournaments to get headpunching experience.

Very solid post. I train in Kyokushin Budokai which we train for "Kudo" (face punching, headbutts, submissions, throws) but we also do pure Kyokushin kumite bare knuckle.

i use body shots but i only throw punches to the body is i see a liver i can hit or if there is an opening right to stomache to knock the air out of someone with one punch

I love the uppercut so yes and most people aren't Sport Fighting HEROS so can not take a load of body shots.

4sdwuv.gif

Yeah. And in sparring, I use it a lot. Im really short and have a weak reach so it's actually easier to hit the body than opponent's head :D I usually duck under the jab and fire body shot then.

I love body and leg shots more than head shots. Honestly head shots are worthless unless you have KO power, which most guys do not. But body shots and leg kicks. Those things will sap every ounce of will from your opponent..

i have only done 'real' boxing once or twice but whenever i get in fights at school and such and since i dont have gloves on i think that my body shots are quite effective especially if u get the liver kidneys or solar plexus

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back