body punching-who practices it and who uses it when sparring/fighting

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by devante, Aug 1, 2010.

1. devante

devante Silver Belt

just a question, in the case of guys who box i would assume this is pretty prevalent, but for those who train different arts or spar w/diff stylist; i am curious if you practice bodypunching and/or do you use it when sparring.

Just wanted to know if you use it/practice it or not and if you do or don't, what is the reasoning behind it.

i use it alot, if for no other reason than the body is always there to be hit; if you can't get to the head for whatever reason, secondly im not a BIG hitter. Nonetheless bodyshots seem to be effective regardless of my lack of power; also most people just don't like it to the body, even if its not hurting them per se... Most non boxers i know don't use it; not saying they can't or wouldn't be effective, in my experiences thought its not a prevalent thing..

im not saying im a bodysnatcher or i haven't had my problems when applying this approach; but im saying in my experiences it has been effective, for the most part.. Of a more curious not is people's hesitation to use it, if not a complete dismissal of it...

2. Dono**

Dono** Banned Banned

People don't use effective body punching often because they view it as something that can't end the fight quickly. For them, it's easier to headhunt and get instant gratification instead of breaking someone down.

This of course ignores the fact that a good body shot can put you down. But it's how a lot of people think.

3. thirteen

thirteen Brown Belt

I train boxing so obviously I train a lot of body punches,
    both hook and straight types. However training them
    on the pads is one thing, they are a lot harder to work
    when sparring.

4. Payak

Payak Brown Belt Professional Fighter

most of my fights have ended with a liver shot

5. Connoisseur

Connoisseur Purple Belt

Anyone worth their salt does body shots, in practice, in sparring, and in actual fights. As you mentioned- when the head moves away, the body stays, and well timed body shots can be extremely effective. You just have to make sure you set them up right, change levels well, and bring your hands right back to your face.

In boxing, the jab, lead hook, and straight right to the body are all good punches and do well to diversify and enhance your attack. The only problem is that you leave yourself a bit more open with body shots, but if you set them up/ mix body shots in with combinations, or your opponent is holding his hands too high, then I say dig in.

In muay thai, you have more options because now you have all 8 points to attack any part of the body with. But the concept is the same- keep your defense tight, set your shots up, and try to use a varied & unpredictable attack.

6. shinkyoku

shinkyoku Brown Belt

I do kyokushin. We are not allowed to punch or elbow to the head. All our punches and elbows are to the body (actually, you are also allowed to punch&elbow the arms and legs -but who would want to punch a leg?), and we do a lot of them.

And since we dont use gloves, body punches can be very effective. Ofcourse we also has to condition our bodies to endure them to a degree that few other arts bother with.

You dont count hits in kyokushin knockdown, only falls. so body punches are often used to grind down a opponent. In the end he either goes down from the punches or the pain makes him drop his guard in order to protect his body with his elbows -and thats when you throw a high kick or knee.

7. Marvin Covar

Marvin Covar Amateur Fighter

I use it when the opportunity presents itself but I don't go exactly looking for them. Sometimes I use them on fast opponents to slow them down.

8. thirteen

thirteen Brown Belt

+ Juan (Diaz lol) on going for the body when the
    opportunity presents itself. Successfully landing body
    shots against a mobile boxer and not getting counter-hit
    yourself is a lot harder than the Internet would have
    you imagine.

9. Tsingani

Tsingani White Belt

I'm a big fan.

Body shots are sometimes easier to down an opponent with or score, simply because they are too worried about taking shots to their pretty face.

10. hughes fan

hughes fan Silver Belt

I like to use the body to make them protect a wider surface and I train with some amateur fighters who train for bouts and therefore only do body and legs.

11. RMMaryport

RMMaryport Green Belt

We use them a lot when sparring, also knees to the body, take some energy out of your opponent, not full force obviously :D

12. FiveFeezy

FiveFeezy Orange Belt

Old cliche: Body shot = putting money in the bank.

13. sfortune85

sfortune85 White Belt

Not using body punches makes as much sense as fighting with one hand

14. BrokenNose

BrokenNose Orange Belt

I always thought it was normal to go a round or two using only your lead...?

15. Fear

Fear White Belt

I love seeing that face when youve hit someone clean in the kidneys or liver in sparring :D
    i usually use the body punches alot against taller opponents like today i was sparring against a 6ft 6 guy and jus kept applying the hooks and jabs to the body it did break him down alot but since he was alot experienced than me he bust my nose :redface:

16. Oh Mah Gawd

Oh Mah Gawd Orange Belt

I use body shots sparingly and in referring to kicks... for every kick to the head I throw 5 to the body or legs first. After my opponent eats 3 or 4 good body kicks it becomes much easier to land head kicks.

17. SAAMAG

SAAMAG San Antonio Applied Martial Arts Group

Body shots are great!

With Muay Thai, I generally will use my hands as tools to attack the head, and body shots occasion. The knees and kicks are typically the tools that are used primarily for the body and legs, with the head on occasion.

But then I use whatever works whenever the opportunity presents itself...so nothing is is an absolute.

18. thirteen

thirteen Brown Belt

What body shot do people land the most?
    Mine is a right cross to the chest area
    (usually after a jab).

I also like to throw a hook to head + hook to body
    on the same side.

19. SteelHammer

SteelHammer Green Belt

parts unknown Occupation: asskicker TrainingStyle:
    hooks to the ribs are my most common body punch, for when they cover up their head and their elbows aren't guarding the body

20. aries

aries Silver Belt

^ This. I boxed for a number of years and never really got proficient with them in fights or sparring except for long range straight body shots. My in fighting skills were always my weakest element and now I've moved to Muay Thai I throw knees to the body so never really developed a decent body punch :icon_cry2

They can be hard to develop because to use them you have to be comfortable standing in the pocket.