body comp training

korn_995

White Belt
Reaction score
I have done a few micro cycles on 5/3/1 and my strength has greatly improved, my coach now wants me to focus on body compositon for mma. he want me to drop 15# over all but wants me to continue to improve in strength and bring my body fat % down while increasing muscle mass.

My thoughts are to do ws4sb either the 3 or 4 day template with spint work and strongman conditioning on off days

Continue on 5/3/1 but switch to boring but big, or The Triumvirate for assistance

the 20 rep squat work out power or metabolic outlined here

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/20_Rep_Squats#20_Rep_Squat_Program_.28Scaled_Down.29

or a modified old school arnold split that each day contains a main lift 5x5

I know diet will be very important and plan on working on that

Stats goals
--------------------------------------
ht. 6'
wt. 265 250
bf% 16-18 <10%

So, let me recap:

You want to drop your BF%, while putting on muscle and while dropping your overall BW at the same time, and keep increasing strength all the while.

Right?

You're far better off picking a single goal, either increasing muscle, or losing fat. Trying to both at the same time is extremely difficult, inefficient, and requires you to be very exact in how you eat. So just focus on getting leaner.

Since you've been having success with the 5/3/1 continue with it. Plus it's a flexible routine, so if you need to modify it to account for losing weight, dieting, increased conditioning, you can do so. Any intense conditioning (I.e. strongman conditioning), you want to do it after lifting, but on the same day. Low intensity exercise, like an easy swim, or a long walk can be done whenever.

Read this article here if you haven't already:
52 Most Common 5/3/1 Questions

I'm not really too concerned about strength improvement per say, that was a goal that would be nice but I am much more concerned about mataining strength and imporving cardio and body composition. I have decided to be fairly rigid with my diet in fact over the next 2 days i am going to cook 1 month worth of meals to see how that goes

I'm not really too concerned about strength improvement per say, that was a goal that would be nice but I am much more concerned about mataining strength and imporving cardio and body composition. I have decided to be fairly rigid with my diet in fact over the next 2 days i am going to cook 1 month worth of meals to see how that goes

Take care of your diet. If you want to drop weight while retaining muscle that involves counting calories, getting enough protein (even though you are losing weight, you actually need more protein than if you were actually maintaining weight) and paying attention to nutrient timing.

Your lifting should be high intensity, low volume (low reps, not too many sets, not too much assistance). This depends on the rest of your training, but usually no more than 2 lifting sessions per week. High intensity in order to maintain strength, low volume in order to be able to recover while in a caloric deficit. BBB, or wb4sb, or 20rep squats, or 5x5 is the exact opposite of what you need to do.

What is your goal exactly? Looks or MMA performance?

I mean the HW limit is 265 so why do you feel the need to lose weight? You should concentrate on increasing strenght and cardio, if body composition changes come as a result of that than good, if they don`t it doesn`t matter. If anything the extra weight will help you during the grappling portions of your fights.

Also doing GPP 6 days a week isn`t such a good idea. GPP is a SUPPLEMENT, not a substitute for mma training. If you have the energy to follow a full on PL/strongman routine on top of your skill training then you`re not giving nearly enough when training MMA.

Back