Bobbing and Weaving using lower back

thehairyfairy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Watching Bradley vs Pacqauio, Bradley would often use his head movement to avoid shots but a lot of the time he was doing this he was rolling with his lower back is this a response to Manny's speed? I've always been told to drop the hips to bob and weave, however when sparring guys who are quicker and lighter, when I'm caught on the ropes I do find it easier to just use my lower back to roll out of shots for some reason it allows me to move out and angle myself better, the only disadvantage I see is not being able to land counters as cleanly What would you guys personally advocate/use?

Also how pre-emptive is your head movement/body movement to avoid shots ? When I started incorporating excessive head movement into my game I found I was thinking about my opponents shots a lot more...almost expecting them, like I would focus on the rear hand coming in so the moment I saw my sparring partner's cross coming in I'd be ready to slip, again the issue I have with that is if the rear hand was used as a feint to set up an uppercut or hook I'd be in a world of trouble, now however when I'm sparring it comes naturally using positioning and angles to narrow down what shots can be thrown.

I remember that Sinister discourage the use of lower back for head movement. He cited Tyson and Patterson, both used peek-a-boo, which used a lot of lower back for headmovement, had lower back problems later on in their career. It is best to use your hips than the lower back.

Sometimes you're gonna be forced to make defensive moves that aren't necessarily optimal. The thing about guys who are moving as you describe is that they aren't purely using their lower backs. They keep their spines straight and use the hips to create the movement, basically like doing a good morning. It isn't ideal because as you said you can't counter, but sometimes you have to just get out and reset.

Also Nuke, I really don't think you read his post.

I remember that Sinister discourage the use of lower back for head movement. He cited Tyson and Patterson, both used peek-a-boo, which used a lot of lower back for headmovement, had lower back problems later on in their career. It is best to use your hips than the lower back.

With Tyson there was pretty much always a height difference with other HWs so wouldn't it be easier to use the lower back to avoid shots especially when someone's punching down at you to facilitate a counter? If I'm fighting someone taller and dropping my hips as I come up I would have to facilitate the already big height gap by lunging forwards with shots, whereas when I use my lower back to roll I can roll right under the shot and come up with shots on the inside.

I drop my knees instead though, instead of my hips whenever I need to drop my height. You could compromise your balance using the back as well, iirc.

With Tyson there was pretty much always a height difference with other HWs so wouldn't it be easier to use the lower back to avoid shots especially when someone's punching down at you to facilitate a counter? If I'm fighting someone taller and dropping my hips as I come up I would have to facilitate the already big height gap by lunging forwards with shots, whereas when I use my lower back to roll I can roll right under the shot and come up with shots on the inside.

I'm confused as to why you can't move forward while moving your head without using your lower back.

Sometimes you're gonna be forced to make defensive moves that aren't necessarily optimal. The thing about guys who are moving as you describe is that they aren't purely using their lower backs. They keep their spines straight and use the hips to create the movement, basically like doing a good morning. It isn't ideal because as you said you can't counter, but sometimes you have to just get out and reset.

Also Nuke, I really don't think you read his post.

It is 2 AM over here so pardon me if i don't look like i have a clear head lol

I'm confused as to why you can't move forward while moving your head without using your lower back.

Sorry I don't think I clarified I was being specific to against the ropes or being cornered and against guys who are generally faster where it feels to me, to be more natural to use the lower back to roll.

Sorry I don't think I clarified I was being specific to against the ropes or being cornered and against guys who are generally faster where it feels to me, to be more natural to use the lower back to roll.

Yea Nuke confused it because he changed the context.

Again, if you're using the lower back correctly then you aren't really using JUST the lower back. The legs are working too and the source of the movement is actually still the hips. It gets you out fast, gives you a lot of head movement so it's gonna be extremely hard to hit you and it can be a good method of escape. It's fine to use in certain situations. It's vital to keep your spine straight and do your best to not look away from the opponent, as well as to get back to good positioning once you move.

Back