Bob Sap and Ernesto Hoost

Xenon_

Storytelling, women n the violence of the octagon
@Blue
Reaction score
I know this is old news to fight fans but I'm just a casual who happened across this feud last night on youtube. (So I probably don't have the whole story)

...but dayum..!

Talk about david and goliath. The two fights I've seen between these guys are so... other-fuckin-worldly... that it's like I'm watching something straight out of Hollywood.

Was catching some Cro Cop fights and ended up watching Hoost fights. Dude is an absolute beast. I need to track back and catch his whole career. But those fights against Sap were something else.

Anyone else love those fights? And how slow am I to be discovering this just now haha

Sapp v Hoost was an embarrassment for K-1.
Did more to hurt that sport venue than anything else.
A multiple K-1 champ loses a fight to a big, strong beast who has minimal fighting skill. That just can't look good. Now maybe if the fight was reffed better then it would have had a different outcome.
But it made K-1 look like a fucking circus.

A multiple K-1 champ loses a fight to a big, strong beast who has minimal fighting skill. That just can't look good. Now maybe if the fight was reffed better then it would have had a different outcome.
That circus act was well and alive in MMA as well...

Anyone else love those fights? And how slow am I to be discovering this just now haha

I love those fights, though I get that a lot of people consider them a blemish in KB history. Yeah, Sapp was content to become a joke later in his career, but who can watch those crazy back and forth battles and not find them entertaining?

The real reason for K-1's decline wasn't Sapp himself, but the fact that Tanikawa attempted to recreate his magic by filling WGP with other 'monsters' with an even worse fighting talent:circus appeal ratio. I'll never forget when Montanha Silva mounted Musashi and started throwing GnP.

Those fights are legendary. It didn't hurt the K-1 image to me, its just a reminder that fighters are still bound by the laws of physics, and when you have that much size and power it can make up for a lotttt of skill.

I highly recommend watching all the K-1 HW Granprixs in order. So many amazing fights from Hoost and co.

I still can't believe Sapp survived those brutal leg kicks, he used to have so mich heart.
But it is just a terribly-reffed fight basically mma rule in a stand up only match. (Holding, Shoving, throwing)

Maybe Hoost should have used a chair ?

Attachments

• 030119_kak_w-1_main_18_b.jpg
    030119_kak_w-1_main_18_b.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 16
It also shows what can happen if you stand right in front of someone who can punch your head clean off your shoulders.

Bob Sap vs Ernesto Hoost was a WAR.

Strength and size took a huge part of these fights as you can see when Sap pushes hoost into corner and keep pressuring him if his hand and then throwing some bombs. He also tries this at the second fight.

Just take a look at this moment, Sap gets low kicked and just walks towards Hoost taunting him and then unleashing some bombs!

He almost pulled off the same tactic against Bonjaski. Worth watching.

Agree

Huge Embarrassment for kickboxing. Any top 50 heavyweight boxer would have made Sapp look like a fool, yet he KO's the best kickboxer.

Huge Embarrassment for kickboxing. Any top 50 heavyweight boxer would have made Sapp look like a fool, yet he KO's the best kickboxer.
That is just silly. Prime Sapp almost destroyed best HW fighter at the time (Big Nog) and beat
Hoost (Best kickboxer) twice. Early 2000s HW boxing scene is just sad. In top 10, you got shot Tyson, shot
Holyfield, John Ruiz (lol), Glass-jaw Wladimir Klitchko, and fat and about-to-retire Lewis on top.
Sapp would have destroyed most of the top 50. (Hell, maybe some of the top 10 if he got to
abuse the rule like against Hoost who know?)

Last edited by a moderator:
In a 3 round fight Sapp would definitely have beat all the best boxers besides about-to-retire Lewis and young Vitali.

Aye, Hoost was a much, much better fighter. However, for some weird reason he didn't wanna take it slow and use technique, he chose a very bad tactic to trade punches with Sapp, I guess it was an ego thing.

That is just silly. Prime Sapp almost destroyed best HW fighter at the time (Big Nog) and beat
Hoost (Best kickboxer) twice. Early 2000s HW boxing scene is just sad. In top 10, you got shot Tyson, shot
Holyfield, John Ruiz (lol), Glass-jaw Wladimir Klitchko, and fat and about-to-retire Lewis on top.
Sapp would have destroyed most of the top 50. (Hell, maybe some of the top 10 if he got to
abuse the rule like against Hoost who know?)

I highly doubt that. "glass jawed Klitschko" is an ATG and even that early version while more vulnerable was an offensive monster and would have stopped Sapp in a round. Old Lewis still beat prime Vitali. Vitali was an ATG. Ruiz while not great was a legit belt holder and Holyfield while shot had an iron chin.

I don't see how Sapp beats any top 10 boxers and even most top 10 kickboxers like LeBanner

I doubt that he couldn't beat a top 50 Boxer at the time before Mirko took his soul. I'd be surprised if that fight would even be sanctioned in Boxing anyways. Sapp was juiced to levels never seen before or after. After the two freak wins against a drastically undersized Hoost, Sapp went on to lose to every decent Kickboxer put in front of him.

so strength and power> skill to an extent?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back