BMW drive hits 100mph, claims gas pedal stuck

This is one reason I only buy manual transmission vehicles. If for some reason the throttle sticks, just pop it out of gear.

The throttle of my ZRX1200R stuck once. I pulled in the clutch and switched off the ignition.

I remember thinking I was billy bad ass when I'd just got my Lexus I must of only been 20
Floored the accelerator and it wouldn't come back up
Must of hit 80 in a 30 and ruined my underwear
I was kicking the hell out of it thinking I was gonna die
Came loose eventually but Jesus Christ!

The carpet mats have a little hook in them to lock them into the floor and it had come loose and then in turn got stuck under the pedal, learned my lesson about driving like a cunt right there

Back when i was 15yo the handle of the accelerator of my scooter stucked on full, had to do meters like that

e264f0e9a5187d63f13e75031a23c7fa--cowgirls-wrestling.jpg

at full speed to bring it to the ground and remove the keys LOL

^ that dude looks like Cro Cop

No, turning the key off while driving in highway gears, will kill the transmission that's what i meant.

It does no such thing. With an automatic transmission, the torque converter will unlock. Most transmissions are electronically controlled and would default to neutral. You can't flat tow an automatic for long distances because no fluid is pumped without the engine running but it will coast to a stop just fine.

Haha BMW's! Actually I do need a good winter vehicle, maybe I should give this BMW brand a try for a nice winter beater

So, as I replied some posts ago this happened to me on a freeway. I initially just panicked and slammed on the brake. That slowed me down to about 50 mph. Then I put on the emergency brake which got me down to 40 mph. That's as I slow as I got. I then got to the shoulder and after about probably about a minute and a half of thinking and my leg getting sore from stomping down as hard as I could, I just turned off the car. That, of course, did it. I should have put it in neutral first though.

Anyhow, no joke... there was flames shooting out my wheels because the brake pads were on fire.

Your brakes must have been in poor condition to not be able to stop the car. Car and Driver did testing on stuck throttles back around the time of the Toyota issue. They found that the brakes overpowered the engine on every vehicle they tested, even a 500hp+ Mustang.

Your brakes must have been in poor condition to not be able to stop the car. Car and Driver did testing on stuck throttles back around the time of the Toyota issue. They found that the brakes overpowered the engine on every vehicle they tested, even a 500hp+ Mustang.

Really? Were all the cars floored?

Really? Were all the cars floored?

Yes, they specifically held the gas to the floor for the tests. It took something like 900ft to stop the Roush Mustang. A lot of the other cars stopped not much farther than their normal stopping distance from the speed tested. I believe the test speed was 70mph, but they did perform the test speeds even higher than that on some cars w/ similar results, just longer stopping distances.

So, as I replied some posts ago this happened to me on a freeway. I initially just panicked and slammed on the brake. That slowed me down to about 50 mph. Then I put on the emergency brake which got me down to 40 mph. That's as I slow as I got. I then got to the shoulder and after about probably about a minute and a half of thinking and my leg getting sore from stomping down as hard as I could, I just turned off the car. That, of course, did it. I should have put it in neutral first though.

Anyhow, no joke... there was flames shooting out my wheels because the brake pads were on fire.
Damn what type of vehicle was it?

Pulling the emergency brake at 100 mph doesn’t seem like a smart move.
The parking brake is only for the rear wheels. What dangerous motion will happen if only the rear wheels are brakes?

I also find it very hard to believe that stepping on the brake wouldn't stop the car. The brakes have enough power to do a burnout, so they should be fine stopping a vehicle even if the wheels are turning under engine power.

Anyone know if the 2003 BMW X5 is rear wheel drive only, under normal conditions? and only engages all-wheel drive when slip is detected?

Here in Lithuania a "BMW driver" is becoming a popular joke/insult

It's like every week there is a story about some idiot driving into the bus stop with his BMW. 9/10 times someone rams their car into a bus stop its a BMW.
file52024173_6e3e2287.jpg

vilniuje-bmw-ileke-i-viesojo-transporto-stotele-69311140.jpg

ivykio-vietoje-562d33236cc9c.jpg

So the driver of a 2003 BMW X5 claimed to police his gas pedal was stuck . He called the 911 dispatch and warned them about this. Dispatch asked him to shift into neutral, which he said he tried but it didn't work.

Now here's the suspicious action from him: when police threw down spiked strips to stop the car, the guy avoided them.

Why wouldn't he just hit the brake? Or turn the ignition off ? Or pull the parking brake?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/gas-pedal-stuck-man-tells-911-barrels-interstate/story?id=53044686
lol. 20 years ago I had the same thing happen with my shitty Dodge spirit 1991. Retractor spring missing or something.

All I did was switch to Neutral and pull to the side.

Granted was funny seeing my shit car just revving top speed engine noises in neutral on the side of the road while blasting exhaust.

Yup. There's no production car on this planet where the engine overpowers the brakes.

Saw this on Jalopnik the other day. I feel like the owner is full of shit, or grossly incompetent. 911 asked him if he could put the car in neutral several times and he said no. Huh?

However I also don't buy BMW's line about throttle by wire automatically cutting power if brakes are engaged simultaneously. Maybe on new cars it does...

Back