Blue to Purple

im scared to death for a purple belt, Its a belt that acually holds weight. i have ben blue for 2 years and I can make simple mestakes without my instructor looking at me like i'm a dipshit. If I get caught by a whitebelt from time to time I dont care because im working new stuff. At purple I feal like the target on your back gets a whole lot bigger. I would rather be a badass blue belt then a new purple:icon_chee

Lol i feel you. When I was a blue belt I had a target on my back from all the white belts. Imagine being purple. The whole gym will want to try and crush you :icon_neut

Someone told me that anyone can get a blue if they just train long enough; to get a purple you actually have to be good.

Someone told me that anyone can get a blue if they just train long enough; to get a purple you actually have to be good.

This brings up an interesting point.

Is Jiu Jitsu such an athletic based skill that only certain people can achieve higher belts?

I have thought about this a lot because it's a question that I have asked myself due to my own personal goals. Now I would love to one day become skilled enough to earn my blackbelt. And I plan on training for the rest of my able bodied life.
Is there a possibility that I will never attain my blackebelt? I would say that of course there is, but I would think it would be a smaller possibility than some would think.

I have tried to parallel Jiu Jitsu to another physical skill based hobby or activity and I have trouble but one day I thought about how some things are similar to skateboarding. Bare with me.
I used to skateboard when I was a kid and I learned early on that every trick I tried, it always took me having to eventually "feel" what I was trying to do. Everyone I would ask how to do a trick, say a basic ollie, would have a different way of describing what needed to take place. But in the end I basically had to translate all that information into my own body movements to accomplish what I wanted to do. And then when someone would ask me how, my explanation would be slightly different than others I had heard. I find the same to often be true for a lot of the movements, sweeps, and submissions in BJJ. Of course there are basic rules on what needs to happen to accomplish your goal, but everyone talks to their body differently to get it to move how they wish.

Now, some people are naturally athletic and can translate information a lot quicker than the most of us. These are usually the pros. they pick everything up with ease, and they progress so much faster than everyone around them.

Then of course there is the opposite end of the spectrum. Some people just aren't capable of ever landing a sweep or sub no matter how hard and long they try. Some people just aren't meant to do certain things. And I am not saying they are physically limited, but it never really clicks for them, or it takes longer than expected and they give up because they don't care enough about it.

Then in the middle, here I am. And I figure it is where most of us here fall as well. We can basically accomplish what we are trying with hard work and repetition. Our natural athleticism varies so all of us progress at different speeds.

So if someone like me, the middle, trains for 30 years consitently, should I never recieve my blackbelt if I can't enter the PanAms and take first in my division?
Does it take being a world champion to be on a blackbelt level? I don't think so. There are professionals in our sport, and there are people who do it because they love it. Just because they aren't a tourney champ doesn't mean that they aren't any good. Doesn't mean their belt isn't legit. Different people have different goals.

Personally, I want to learn everything I can and be able to apply it and one day be able to hang with blackbelts. I want to hand down my knowledge to my children and grandchildren. Will I ever be able to beat Roger Gracie? Hell never. But does that mean I should never reach my goal? I don't think so either.

Sorry for the long winded post, but it has been on my mind and I wanted to see what some of you guys thought about my opinion. Plus this might answer some questions for the TS too.

7 mths as a white,
2yrs as blue,
11 mths as purple so far, hoping to send a few years at purple.

Is Jiu Jitsu such an athletic based skill that only certain people can achieve higher belts?

I have thought about this a lot because it's a question that I have asked myself due to my own personal goals. Now I would love to one day become skilled enough to earn my blackbelt. And I plan on training for the rest of my able bodied life.
Is there a possibility that I will never attain my blackebelt? I would say that of course there is, but I would think it would be a smaller possibility than some would think.

I have tried to parallel Jiu Jitsu to another physical skill based hobby or activity and I have trouble but one day I thought about how some things are similar to skateboarding. Bare with me.
I used to skateboard when I was a kid and I learned early on that every trick I tried, it always took me having to eventually "feel" what I was trying to do. Everyone I would ask how to do a trick, say a basic ollie, would have a different way of describing what needed to take place. But in the end I basically had to translate all that information into my own body movements to accomplish what I wanted to do. And then when someone would ask me how, my explanation would be slightly different than others I had heard. I find the same to often be true for a lot of the movements, sweeps, and submissions in BJJ. Of course there are basic rules on what needs to happen to accomplish your goal, but everyone talks to their body differently to get it to move how they wish.

Now, some people are naturally athletic and can translate information a lot quicker than the most of us. These are usually the pros. they pick everything up with ease, and they progress so much faster than everyone around them.

Then of course there is the opposite end of the spectrum. Some people just aren't capable of ever landing a sweep or sub no matter how hard and long they try. Some people just aren't meant to do certain things. And I am not saying they are physically limited, but it never really clicks for them, or it takes longer than expected and they give up because they don't care enough about it.

Then in the middle, here I am. And I figure it is where most of us here fall as well. We can basically accomplish what we are trying with hard work and repetition. Our natural athleticism varies so all of us progress at different speeds.

So if someone like me, the middle, trains for 30 years consitently, should I never recieve my blackbelt if I can't enter the PanAms and take first in my division?
Does it take being a world champion to be on a blackbelt level? I don't think so. There are professionals in our sport, and there are people who do it because they love it. Just because they aren't a tourney champ doesn't mean that they aren't any good. Doesn't mean their belt isn't legit. Different people have different goals.

Personally, I want to learn everything I can and be able to apply it and one day be able to hang with blackbelts. I want to hand down my knowledge to my children and grandchildren. Will I ever be able to beat Roger Gracie? Hell never. But does that mean I should never reach my goal? I don't think so either.

Sorry for the long winded post, but it has been on my mind and I wanted to see what some of you guys thought about my opinion. Plus this might answer some questions for the TS too.

Keep training and eventually it will come, a belt means mastery in the art, not proficiency in fights.

going by that strict logic where you need to be a PanAm/Mundials champ, most if not nearly all the old school big name black belts need to go and take there black belts off as majority of them did not do a Pan Ams/Mundials because they weren't around. Just because you dont win those tournaments doesnt mean you dont deserve a black belt

I was a Blue for a solid 4 years. I'm hoping for permanency in my Blue=)

I've had this discussion before. Roy Harris seems to believe that anybody can get a black belt regardless of natural ability. When someone asks how long does it take to get a black belt at my school. I say the data set isn't large enough to come to any consensus. We have only have five black belts. Three are world class MMA fighters.

Where does a 43 year old teacher fit in?

I got my blue belt in about a year. I stayed at blue for about 5 1/2 years (10 1/2 if you count my hiatus) thinking that was my last belt. Purple for about 2 years. I've had my brown for about 7 months.

In the modern era I think black belt is possible for many but not all. It's possible for any middle school kid to eventually get a scholarship to a D1 school, but it's not likely. There are so many variables...

Spent about 10 months from white to blue, but I had a couple of years of Judo.
Took me 1.5 yrs from blue to purple. I was training 7-8 times a week from blue to purple and did a lot of tournaments during that time.

im scared to death for a purple belt, Its a belt that acually holds weight. i have ben blue for 2 years and I can make simple mestakes without my instructor looking at me like i'm a dipshit. If I get caught by a whitebelt from time to time I dont care because im working new stuff. At purple I feal like the target on your back gets a whole lot bigger. I would rather be a badass blue belt then a new purple:icon_chee

I can relate to that, I just received the first stripe on my blue belt and I figure if it takes four years to earn my purple it will just mean I ought to wind up being one of the slickest blue belts around.

That said, purple is a nice thing to focus on earning, it'll keep your mind on something positive, a great milestone in your BJJ career.

I've had this discussion before. Roy Harris seems to believe that anybody can get a black belt regardless of natural ability. When someone asks how long does it take to get a black belt at my school. I say the data set isn't large enough to come to any consensus. We have only have five black belts. Three are world class MMA fighters.

Where does a 43 year old teacher fit in?

I got my blue belt in about a year. I stayed at blue for about 5 1/2 years (10 1/2 if you count my hiatus) thinking that was my last belt. Purple for about 2 years. I've had my brown for about 7 months.

In the modern era I think black belt is possible for many but not all. It's possible for any middle school kid to eventually get a scholarship to a D1 school, but it's not likely. There are so many variables...

I dunno I agree with the other poster. At my gym in America there is this guy, I'll call him Karl. He's been rolling for about 4 years. He gets beat by everyone that is not a new white. They gave him his blue, but that was just his skill set, not his ability. I feel bad for him, as when we roll he just gets womped by everyone. He's been rolling almost as long as me, and when we roll, I'm never in danger, and can throw most any sub I want on him. Heck I even triangled him. Some people just don't seem to have "it", and really I can't see him ever filling out his blue, not too mention going any further.

I dunno I agree with the other poster. At my gym in America there is this guy, I'll call him Karl. He's been rolling for about 4 years. He gets beat by everyone that is not a new white. They gave him his blue, but that was just his skill set, not his ability. I feel bad for him, as when we roll he just gets womped by everyone. He's been rolling almost as long as me, and when we roll, I'm never in danger, and can throw most any sub I want on him. Heck I even triangled him. Some people just don't seem to have "it", and really I can't see him ever filling out his blue, not too mention going any further.

Yeah some people just don't "get it." I had a training partner who had been training for over three years and still could barely apply even the most basic techniques. I choked him unconscious with a cross choke from guard one time, he was too retarded to even know when he had to tap. The guy eventually got a blue belt out of pity but I don't think he'll get any further than that. Nobody gets a purple belt out of pity...

I think there is a minimum level of athletic talent and physical and mental capability required to succeed in BJJ. But that minimum is not particularly high, and once you meet it, it's all hard work and mat time from there. It's possible for most people to earn a purple belt and eventually a black belt with enough mat time, but most get discouraged or stop caring long before that.

Yeah some people just don't "get it." I had a training partner who had been training for over three years and still could barely apply even the most basic techniques. I choked him unconscious with a cross choke from guard one time, he was too retarded to even know when he had to tap. The guy eventually got a blue belt out of pity but I don't think he'll get any further than that. Nobody gets a purple belt out of pity...

I think there is a minimum level of athletic talent and physical and mental capability required to succeed in BJJ. But that minimum is not particularly high, and once you meet it, it's all hard work and mat time from there. It's possible for most people to earn a purple belt and eventually a black belt with enough mat time, but most get discouraged or stop caring long before that.

My guy could tap. He just couldn't stop any sub of mine, or anyone that's good. It's not him being retarded, I think he is just a spaz, and is bad at physical things. He is also pretty weak for his weight, while a lot of BJJ guys are strong for their weight, which can really hold a person back. If they can't do a move as they lack power, they may never get the techique that follows.

If you just can't do the moves, I just dont think you can get past Blue. As been said, you can get a pity blue, but a pity Purple ain't happening. I think a school will look bad if they have a poor purple, so they jsut dont give em away.

Last edited:
My guy could tap. He just couldn't stop any sub of mine, or anyone that's good. It's not him being retarded, I think he is just a spaz, and is bad at physical things. He is also pretty weak for his weight, while a lot of BJJ guys are strong for their weight, which can really hold a person back. If they can't do a move as they lack power, they may never get the techique that follows.

If you just can't do the moves, I just dont think you can get past Blue. As been said, you can get a pity blue, but a pity Purple ain't happening. I think a school will look bad if they have a poor purple, so they jsut dont give em away.

are you serious?
power has nothing to do with bjj.. being strong, powerful and athlethic are all just bonuses.. the ultimate goal is to get superior techinque. Power should not affect technique in any way.. perfect leverage, timing and positioning should be what affects it.
evvery partner outweighs me by 10-20kilos in class, and are all x10 stronger than me, but does that mean i am useless? yes i cant lock a triangle on someone whose shoudlers are just so wide, but i can use it to rock their base.. I can kimura/americana them from literally anywhere due to infelxibility etc.

so really, cut ur team mate some slack. He is probably X100 mentally tougher than you (no insult), considering he gets demolished every class but always comes back for more.
think about it

are you serious?
power has nothing to do with bjj.. being strong, powerful and athlethic are all just bonuses.. the ultimate goal is to get superior techinque. Power should not affect technique in any way.. perfect leverage, timing and positioning should be what affects it.
evvery partner outweighs me by 10-20kilos in class, and are all x10 stronger than me, but does that mean i am useless? yes i cant lock a triangle on someone whose shoudlers are just so wide, but i can use it to rock their base.. I can kimura/americana them from literally anywhere due to infelxibility etc.

so really, cut ur team mate some slack. He is probably X100 mentally tougher than you (no insult), considering he gets demolished every class but always comes back for more.
think about it

I do think power has something to do with it. As you learn BJJ, you power threw moves, and slowly add technique to them. If aren't physically gifted in figuring stuff out you may never fully figure out how to do a move. Not too mention that he prolly has no body awareness and it never clicks for him.

You can roll with heavier people and it works, and so can I. But my guy gets beat by even 3 month white belts. Or it ends up being a war. After 4 years, and at equal weight, a blue shouldn't struggle with a regular no stripe wite belt.

I'm not pissing on him. I feel for him. I would have quit if I were him to be honest. I am not saying be mean to them like others here.

are you serious?

think about it

I agree to a point. Power, and athleticism affects your ability to gain a lot of the positions. No...a weak technical guy isn't useless, but he rarely has opportunities if his opponent doesn't mess up.

That I believe might hold true for many people in our school/area. White to Blue at our school is a pretty long drawn out journey. There isn't any super quick promotion if you're awesome, odds are you're looking at a 2-3 year journey. It is the blue to purple that seems to be a possible 2 year trip, but then get ready for a long haul to brown.

I'm coming up on my 2nd year as a blue, and while I feel, & know that I am getting good, I am in no rush to get a purple belt at all. But when I get it, I will be a happy mofo lol. Till them I am enjoying all my time at blue when nothing really matters :)

I tapping blue belts in my class of submission wrestling but i still a white belt in BJJ

Its just a belt, so don't think to much about it.

Back